BCD996P2 - Assistance request

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
First time down: Had a BCD996P2 programmed at Scanner Master. My primary interest is CSP Troops I, G and F. I have several radios but this is my first radio for CLMRN. When I hold on CT State PD/FD, the next screen reads CSP Trp I Disp 1. Then the screen changes to ":State Police Finding Control Channel". Does this latter message mean that the radio is unable to latch on to an active control channel for Troop I? Continuing on, I live in the vicinity of Route 67 and 63 in Woodbridge. Changed antenna connections, trying three different antennas (external - outside) . Furthermore, according to the tower site map, I am more or less equidistant between two nearby tower sites. What am I doing wrong? Am I in a dead spot? BTW: The radio otherwise works quite well in terms of reception of all agencies and departments other than CLMRN.

Thank you in anticipation of your well-considered responses.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You may be experiencing simulcast distortion. If the scanner is programmed correctly and you see NFM instead of the control channel frequency on the third line from the bottom on your scanner display, that is a good indication that it may be your issue. If you attach your programming file, we can take a look at it to check for problems. You will need to zip the file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file. I expect to see Dr Dialtone jumping in shortly. He lives in Connecticut and is familiar with the scanner. What is your squelch setting? It is normally set at 2.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
You'd be much better off with a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 to mitigate the effects of simulcast distortion. However, feel free to try the multipath mitigation suggestions in the wiki I linked below. They may or may not work depending on your location relative to two or more towers on the cell

2.1 Multipath Mitigation for Scanners

Last edited:
Reactions: wtp

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
You may be experiencing simulcast distortion. If the scanner is programmed correctly and you see NFM instead of the control channel frequency on the third line from the bottom on your scanner display, that is a good indication that it may be your issue. If you attach your programming file, we can take a look at it to check for problems. You will need to zip the file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file. I expect to see Dr Dialtone jumping in shortly. He lives in Connecticut and is familiar with the scanner. What is your squelch setting? It is normally set at 2.
What if "NFM" appears for all channels? P25, P25 2 and non-p25/2 channels? Trunked or not; part of the statewide system or not?

What if "NFM" appears for all channels?
NFM just means the channel is programmed as Narrow Band FM.

If you are receiving a control channel, you should see DAT or PT 0 or 1.

PTO.jpg

After you attach your program file, we can let you know what's missing.

tvengr

Well Known Member
In Doc's screen shot, you should see the control channel frequency (854.3625 is displayed in this case) when no talkgroup is being received. If you see NFM there instead of the frequency, you have a problem decoding the control channel.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Ah, I know what NFM means in the ordinary radio context. Are you saying that there is another meaning for "NFM"?

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Dear Dr. dialtone, I always enjoy reading your descriptive and insightful posts. As such, I must confess I am a babe lost in the woods. Scanner Master performed a frequency dump for New Haven County. The rest is up to me (I guess). I suppose that I should reread the owner's instruction manual. But, for now I am unable to find, much less access the info for Troops I, G or F. YIKES!

Dear Dr. dialtone, I always enjoy reading your descriptive and insightful posts
Thank you for your kind words.

The system info is here:

The "Easier to Read" manual is here:

It would serve you well to learn to program your own scanner, but it takes time.

Or, contact ScannerMaster and tell them their programming isn't working.

Good luck!

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
First screen message:

CT State PD/FD
CSP Trp I Disp 1

Then immediately jumps to second screen message:

State Police
CSP Trp I Disp1

Then immediately jumps to third screen message:

State Police
Finding CtrlChan

And keeps on repeating.....

No lock on (?) to a control channel.

or have the control channels for Troop I not programmed in?

or does "Finding control channel" with this particular radio mean something other than what would commonly believed to be?

Last edited:

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
So I have read and heard.

My Fire Service purchased initially four, then six, not one of them would work on CLMRN in any one of four fire stations. I have two older ones that work, not one of the newer ones would work. We ultimately swapped them for SDS200 units.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
My Fire Service purchased initially four, then six, not one of them would work on CLMRN in any one of four fire stations. I have two older ones that work, not one of the newer ones would work. We ultimately swapped them for SDS200 units.
It would appear that the 996P2 may be added to my pantheon of various scanners and single-channel receivers. I have a few more things to try with it (996P2) relative to CLMRN reception. But, I see the handwriting on the wall....SDS100 and/or SDS200...here I come. Stay tuned for further details such as they may be. I have a busy schedule so bear with me on updates.

"Defending the innocent and prosecuting the guilty is a dirty job, but someone has to do it".

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Now I know I am an “outsider” since I currently do not live in Ct, but I did live there and last time I was there visiting with my bcd325 in Glastonbury I had minimal trouble receiving troop H. My point is that it is 100% location dependent and probably in 80% of the time simulcast is a problem but 20% if you are lucky it will work, but obviously, if in doubt, get the sds100/200. The odds are not in your favor!

tvengr

Well Known Member
Scanner Master performed a frequency dump for New Haven County.
You can download and install the free FreeSCAN programming software. Freescan download website Connect your computer to your scanner. Go to the Scanner tab and click on Download Programming. The programming in the scanner will be transferred into the software. Save the file. You will then be able to attach it for us to take a look. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. You will need to install the driver to communicate with the scanner.

Attachments

• uniden_usbser.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 3

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
NFM just means the channel is programmed as Narrow Band FM.

If you are receiving a control channel, you should see DAT or PT 0 or 1.

View attachment 166851

After you attach your program file, we can let you know what's missing.
Will get it over to you.
Thank you for your kind words.

The system info is here:

The "Easier to Read" manual is here:

It would serve you well to learn to program your own scanner, but it takes time.

Or, contact ScannerMaster and tell them their programming isn't working.

Good luck!
Both "easier to read" have been downloaded and printed along with my contacting ScannerMaster. Thank you for the sage advice.
It may very well be a programming error as on two different local agencies utilizing P1, Scanner Master failed to enter the access code as being"NAC". Hence, no reception, including that for the local constabulary.

Last edited:

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
If you get ProScan let me know, I have 7 996P2s and they all work fine on CLMRN. Im in a good location as I have a troop I site 1/2 mile away and can only see 1 Troop A site 1 Troop G site and 1 Troop L site so I get no simulcast distortion on any of those
Im only about 5 miles from you as the crow flies so my code plug for the 996P2 would serve you well