BCD996P2 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

treydawgmt

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I received my BCD996P2 scanner today, and also have the ARCXT-Pro software. I'm trying to figure out how to program this thing. It's not so much the programming that is an issue, but the conceptualization part. I live in Carpentersville, IL.

I (mostly) understand what talk groups are, and what sites are. From what I can understand, I should have the single McHenry site (1-046) and the single Kane site (1-026) as two sites programmed. Then the department in Kane and McHenry I'd like to listen to. I used to listen to DeKalb, Kane, McHenry, Lake, Cook, and DuPage counties. Is it likely that if I programmed different sites for those, also, as well as talk groups in those areas, I'd pick them up, at least some of the times? I know 700/800 mHz has far less travel distance than VHF & UHF frequencies.

Are there some statewide frequencies I could hear off of some of the closer towers?

A final note/question. Any ideas on the best tri-band antenna (for VHF/UHF/700/800 mHz, since I'll still be listening to all 3) that would mount to a chimney?

Thanks!

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Hi Trey, are you using any software to program your 996P2? If so which one? I use Freescan and Proscan for my 325P2 which is basically the hand held version of the 996P2. I would recommend a discone antenna for your listening requirements, antenna-wise. Regarding the programming, You should be able to receive the Starcom sites for Kane and McHenry counties easily with just the regular antenna on the back of the 996P2. I would strongly suggest that you use software rather than hand entering things to get you started. Its much less frustrating and you can learn how to set up sites or systems by hand later if you'd like.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Dekalb is now on its own trunk system , Lake and Cook are mostly "ENC , I think it maybe stretching the rubber band for T101 Dupage....Check on this web site the Starcom database list of towers ....

treydawgmt

Premium Subscriber
From his post...
Thanks, haha. I wasn't going to say it quite like you did.

Dekalb is now on its own trunk system , Lake and Cook are mostly "ENC , I think it maybe stretching the rubber band for T101 Dupage....Check on this web site the Starcom database list of towers ....

I think my bigger questions so to speak, are how the system itself works. I work for a local department and we're moving to StarCom in the next month (or something. This was supposed to be last May at one point, but they're actually really close now). I *know* there are more than one physical repeater sites we will be using in Northern Kane to talk. Will these still just be listed under the "Kane" sites? Are there only some sites that scanners have access to?

I listen mostly to FD. DeKalb Co is still on a VHF system at the moment, or simulcasting at least. In Cook Co, most FD's are not encrypted. But is it possible to program, say, the Champaign Talkgroups, since Starcom is really one big connected system. I gather that probably won't work, except on certain systems designed to go state wide? How do I figure out what those might be?

I *have* been able to program Kane & McHenry systems and are listening to them, so I do have the programming mostly down.

Thanks!

ltginrage

DeKalb Co is putting "finishing touches" on it system. All FDs have access to the talkgroup and it is sometimes simulcasted. The P25 system hardly makes it past the eastern county line and I'm guessing its the same thing on the other side of the county. (It was like that last time I was out there last time)

All Kane County agecies (with the exception of KaneCom (future plans to switch), QuadCom and Aurora Central) use Starcom. All the TriComm and Elgin Talkgroups only go off of Kane County Simulcast site. Also ISP D2, ISP Chicago, ISP D15, ITHA, Pace Bus, go off of the Kane Simulcast. Every now and then you'll hear a outside agency on the towers most likely because a outside agency's unit is in the area. Probably explained that incorrectly but thats how I understand it.

treydawgmt

Premium Subscriber
DeKalb Co is putting "finishing touches" on it system.

Thanks. Ok, that's what it sounded like. How do you figure out who is on a specific simulcast site?

Also, add QuadCom to your list of those migrating very soon. Likely to be fully encrypted, but unsure totally.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I used to hear the city of Elgin but "ENC" on T126 Aurora but there TG's must only be assigned to sub towers close in Elgin

othb1234

Premium Subscriber
Can’t find Wildcard (tried Google, Marks scanner guide, uniden etc) what to use for p25 p2 my other scanners non-Uniden uses * TIA

ltginrage

Can’t find Wildcard (tried Google, Marks scanner guide, uniden etc) what to use for p25 p2 my other scanners non-Uniden uses * TIA
I think your trying to ask what non-uniden scanner does P25 P2 monitoring.
From the radiorefrence P25 wiki article:

The following scanners can decode P25 Phase I, Phase II, and Motorola X2-TDMA systems.
GRE: PSR-800 2
Radio: Shack Pro-18 3, Pro-668
Uniden: BCD325P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD996P2, HomePatrol-2, SDS100, SDS200
Whistler: WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098, TRX-1, TRX-2

Status
Not open for further replies.