BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BCD996P2 programming for Stevens County, Washington

neilensign

Premium Subscriber
Just got this scanner and wanted to mostly listen to Washington State Patrol and Airlift on P25 Phase 2. I downloaded from RadioReference and after a few days haven't heard any activity. Obviously there's something I need to do but struggling to figure it out.
I live way out in the country and pick up non digital on my BCD996XT up to 50 miles away.
I use a discone with an SSB Electronic wide band preamp at the antenna, 60 feet of LMR 400 into a Stridesburg (active) Multicoupler so I'm confident the signal is getting to the radio. I can see full bars coming up on the signal strength meter while scanning.
I have it programmed for Stevens County, Washington.
The squelch is at about 2 and I'm logging with ARC XT PRO which is the software I used to program.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Neil

neilensign

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe there is any simulcast here. I'm using Colville, Chewelah, Spokane, ect. from Stevens County, WA. over near Northern Idaho.
One of the systems I have loaded is the Justice Integrated Wireless Network/Project25/Phase II

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is your city or town? I use ARC-XT also. If you attach your .rsf programming file(s), I will check for problems. You will need to zip the file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Just remember, WSP uses 3 systems, depending on what District,
Conventional, JIWN and their 700MHz.
They also patch to some local LE systems (SRECS as an example)

State Patrol (on Spokane Regional Emergency Communications System)​

DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
60224eb40DWSP DispatchSpokane AreaLaw Dispatch
60266eb6aDWSP Car 5Car 5Law Talk

Try programming conventional as well as JIWN.

Statewide​

FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
154.935BMWSP AcademyAcademyFMNLaw Talk
156.075MWSP CVECommercial Vehicle EnforcementFMNLaw Talk
155.445KA5287MCSQWSP CAR 1Statewide Car 1 (210.7 PL is being used in some areas)FMNLaw Talk
155.460KA5287MCSQWSP CAR 2Statewide Car 2FMNLaw Talk
155.970KA5287BMCSQWSP STATEStatewide CommonFMNLaw Talk
154.770KA5287MWSP TacticalTacticalFMNLaw Tac

4 Spokane​

Detachments: Colfax, Colville, Ritzville, Spokane/North
FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
154.665KNAX341BMD40 NACWSP ColvilleColville AreaP25Law Dispatch
154.845KLS483BMD40 NACWSP LindRitzville Lind AreaP25Law Dispatch
154.905WQSF927RMD40 NACWSP SpokaneSpokane AreaP25Law Dispatch
155.970WNRL439RM100.0 PLWSP CalispelCalispel StateFMNLaw Talk

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
One of the systems I have loaded is the Justice Integrated Wireless Network/Project25/Phase II
Are you sure they haven't moved onto the system linked below? WA State Patrol database page has a mixture of P25 conventional along with the PII system I linked below. Not seeing any reference Justice Integrated Wireless Network on said DB page so not sure if they've moved on from it

WA State Patrol
Project 25 Phase II
New radio system currently being installed.

Just remember, WSP uses 3 systems, depending on what District,
Wow...confusing :ROFLMAO:

neilensign

Premium Subscriber
What is your city or town? I use ARC-XT also. If you attach your .rsf programming file(s), I will check for problems. You will need to zip the file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.
I'm near Chewelah, WA
These are the main ones I've loaded.

Attachments

• WSP.zip
    808 bytes · Views: 3
  • Airlift_St Annou.zip
    999 bytes · Views: 2
  • EM Mgt_Feds.zip
    1 KB · Views: 2
  • WashingtonDepart.zip
    1 KB · Views: 2

tvengr

Well Known Member
The first thing I notice is that you are scanning far too many sites. Not only that, you have the same systems in twice and scanning the same sites multiple times. For example, Airlift Northwest and WSDOT East are both on the same WDOT trunked system. There should be only 1 system using the same sites with the talkgroups all in different groups on the same trunked system. The same is also true for the JIWN trunked system which is in there twice with the same sites. There should be only one JIWN trunked system with all of the talkgroups in different groups. You are also scanning far too many sites over a wide area. You will miss nearly everything in your local area. There is an old saying, "The more you scan, the less you hear!" You should be scanning only the sites in your immediate area. Another thing to check is that you have the latest firmware in the scanner. There was a problem with later scanners that they would not decode digital frequencies above 171.2 MHz in the VHF high band due to a hardware change. There are a number of frequencies in that range on the JIWN trunked system. There was a firmware update issued to fix the problem. Also, you can assign a different system quick key to each site in the trunked systems. You will be able to toggle each site on and off by pressing its system quick key number on the scanner keypad. Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys:

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 6

neilensign

Premium Subscriber
The first thing I notice is that you are scanning far too many sites. Not only that, you have the same systems in twice and scanning the same sites multiple times. For example, Airlift Northwest and WSDOT East are both on the same WDOT trunked system. There should be only 1 system using the same sites with the talkgroups all in different groups on the same trunked system. The same is also true for the JIWN trunked system which is in there twice with the same sites. There should be only one JIWN trunked system with all of the talkgroups in different groups. You are also scanning far too many sites over a wide area. You will miss nearly everything in your local area. There is an old saying, "The more you scan, the less you hear!" You should be scanning only the sites in your immediate area. Another thing to check is that you have the latest firmware in the scanner. There was a problem with later scanners that they would not decode digital frequencies above 171.2 MHz in the VHF high band due to a hardware change. There are a number of frequencies in that range on the JIWN trunked system. There was a firmware update issued to fix the problem. Also, you can assign a different system quick key to each site in the trunked systems. You will be able to toggle each site on and off by pressing its system quick key number on the scanner keypad. Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys:
Thanks for looking at my files! I will clean them up. I updated the firmware right after unpacking the radio.
Even with those issues I should hear something right? The log is completely empty after several days.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You may be scanning a bunch of out of range sites multiple times and that is why you don't hear anything. With a different system quick key on each site, you will be able to listen to each one individually to determine where you hear activity.

neilensign

Premium Subscriber
You may be scanning a bunch of out of range sites multiple times and that is why you don't hear anything. With a different system quick key on each site, you will be able to listen to each one individually to determine where you hear activity.
Trimmed it down a lot. I hope this does it.

Attachments

• JusticeIntegrate.zip
    704 bytes · Views: 1
  • WashingtonDepart.zip
    708 bytes · Views: 1

neilensign

Premium Subscriber
Still nothing. Are there any settings that need to be done with the radio that I'm not aware of? The only thing I changed was the Quickeys.