BCD996P2 static on every channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedaman34

Hello All,

I upgraded to the BCD996P2 today and used FreeScan to import RadioReference databases for Waukesha County (Wisconsin). I have no problem hearing transmissions but every one of them is filled with static or what sounds like a weak signal. I live in the same county and they are using Motorola II.

I'm using the stock antenna and have tried all different heights which is sitting next to my window (upstairs of a 2 story house).

Assuming it's the antenna I ordered a TRAM-1094 which will be here on Friday.

Just curious if this is possibly normal for Moto II transmissions or if there may be something else going on.

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions.

mikedaman34

I have the squelch set at 2. I've moved it to 4 but it made no difference. Sounded exactly the same actually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mikedaman34

I found a setting in FreeScan on the site setup for "20dB Attenuation". I just tried that on all the sites and that wouldn't allow any transmissions to be picked up (just sat there scanning).

I'm thinking I need to find the local weather channel or something at this point just to reassure me that something/anything comes in cleaner than what it is.

What's strange is that the static fluctuates in loudness and crackling when someone is talking although their talking levels are exactly the same.

mikedaman34

I've attached my FreeScan file in case maybe I'm missing something. You just need to remove the .zip at the end of it. It was pretty much a direct import from RadioReference so can't imagine it being too out of whack.

Attachments

• ScannerFile.996.zip
    39.7 KB · Views: 13

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
I was driving thru your county a few weeks ago for business, and experienced the same sort of thing on that system with my Whistler trx-2. It was annoying enough for me to stop listening. You may want to ask about this in the Wisconsin forum to see if it's a common issue.

Last edited:

mikedaman34

That's a great suggestion. No point troubleshooting an issue that may actually be one of those "it is what it is" kind of moments.

mikedaman34

That's actually a great idea. I will try that tonight and post back what I find out.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
I believe your system is analog simulcast. If you receive more than one tower at similar signal strength then the resulting audio can be distorted. Is NOAA weather radio clearly received? If you drive to a location where one trunked system tower is much stronger than the others does the audio distortion clear up?

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
I have no problem hearing transmissions but every one of them is filled with static or what sounds like a weak signal.

I was in your area again today and decided to listen on my BCD436HP and my TRX-2. I had really bad static as well in many locations on both. There were a couple areas along the way that sounded somewhat static free, but where I went in New Berlin, it was heavy on static. In the next day or so I'll upload a video I took.
Are you still fighting this issue?

mikedaman34

I was in your area again today and decided to listen on my BCD436HP and my TRX-2. I had really bad static as well in many locations on both. There were a couple areas along the way that sounded somewhat static free, but where I went in New Berlin, it was heavy on static. In the next day or so I'll upload a video I took.
Are you still fighting this issue?
Yup it still is pretty bad. I just figured I would live with it and maybe someday they'll go digital. Aftermarket antenna is doing the same thing. I did drive around 94 and highway F and things did get better but it was a very small "sweet spot"

J

jlmaddencc

I'm pretty sure that STATIC is injected into the Analog audio - Digital Trunking System by it's users, and nothing you can do to stop the user's radios on the System from injecting it, unless you buy them all bigger and better antennas and a couple more site towers.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
Yup it still is pretty bad.
Here's the video I recorded. Depending on where I was, it was even worse than what's in the video. And rarely better. With the Whistler, I was using the Larsen tri-band antenna on car roof, and with the Uniden I was using the RS 800 antenna. Is this what you are talking about? If so, at least you now know it's not a problem with your 996.
https://youtu.be/vMc8saA1vnY

mikedaman34

Here's the video I recorded. Depending on where I was, it was even worse than what's in the video. And rarely better. With the Whistler, I was using the Larsen tri-band antenna on car roof, and with the Uniden I was using the RS 800 antenna. Is this what you are talking about? If so, at least you now know it's not a problem with your 996.
https://youtu.be/vMc8saA1vnY
Yup! Yours sound a bit better probably since I'm a bit further out but those bursts and waves of static is exactly what I was talking about. I appreciate you taking the time to put this together. I was just trying to run out the scanner and see if Waukesha County was like this in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.