BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BCD996P2 with ProScan

ve3elb

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone. I recently purchased a Uniden BCD996P2 scanner and using the ProScan programming software. I have programmed and reprogrammed this unit multiple times with no result. I haven't received or decoded any P25 signals. I thought that programming motorola radios were crazy, but this uniden scanner seems worse lol. I have also tried the FreeScan programming software with the same results. I have only received FM analogue signals. This is so disappointing.

Imported the database from RadioReference and loaded it to the radio.

Can anyone in the Toronto Ontario area using the same setup share their programming file with me so I can read though and see what am doing incorrectly.

Note: Am new to this uniden scanner system and that the scanner does not have DMR/NXDN.

Thank You

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
How many Signal Bars are showing on the Control Channel?
Is there a chance you may be dealing with Simulcast System?
Have you looked in the Ontario Forum to see if others are having problems or hearing the System?

ve3elb

Premium Subscriber
How many Signal Bars are showing on the Control Channel?
Is there a chance you may be dealing with Simulcast System?
Have you looked in the Ontario Forum to see if others are having problems or hearing the System?
I don’t see any signals. Scanning never stops like theres nothing on the air.
I only receive analog FM signals.

Thats the reason I ask for someone to share a copy of their file so I can see what and if am doing something wrong.

Imported the database from RR and loaded it. So am hoping it was correct and not having to edit or change any settings.

No I have not checked the Ontario forums

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Can you please post what system you are trying to listen to?
It will help us out.
Also I am seeing a bunch of encrypted talkgroups on the PSRN system. No scanner can listen to those channels.
Toronto City services system is a simulcast system. The 996P2 doesn't do well with simulcast. Would need a SDS200.

Last edited:

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Don't mean to be snooty, but do you have an antenna plugged in? Might try placing antenna next to window (if inside) or outdoors works best. If using back of the set antenna, might not be sufficient.

ve3elb

Premium Subscriber
Don't mean to be snooty, but do you have an antenna plugged in? Might try placing antenna next to window (if inside) or outdoors works best. If using back of the set antenna, might not be sufficient.
LoL funny guy. It’s connected to a discone antenna outside.

BC_Scan

decoded any P25 signals
firstly what no one addresses when understanding dynamic memory etc,
in search mode of a given target range does the radio stop on a p25 control channel, you must be in its range in order to hear anything
jot down which ones you hear within your range, create your own file with the ones you noted if its only one then thats it , not the entire database the scanner looks needlessly around in circles looking for that control channel to decode , thats why it seems your not hearing anything
IMO you are trying to be at 100 % when you maybe understand 1% of the scanner

ve3elb

Premium Subscriber
firstly what no one addresses when understanding dynamic memory etc,
in search mode of a given target range does the radio stop on a p25 control channel, you must be in its range in order to hear anything
jot down which ones you hear within your range, create your own file with the ones you noted if its only one then thats it , not the entire database the scanner looks needlessly around in circles looking for that control channel to decode , thats why it seems your not hearing anything
IMO you are trying to be at 100 % when you maybe understand 1% of the scanner
You are completely wrong My friend. Am not trying to be at 100% of anything hence being here asking questions. Am just so you know I have only loaded the Toronto fire services channels with no luck as RR shows it’s P25. So I know something is wrong with the programming as the BCD996P2 is connected to a Discone antenna outside. I also have a fire station 5 minute walk from my house. which I don’t hear. So I know it could be something in the setup. Just trying to figure out what it is.

Last edited:

Enforcer52

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Are you importing the Toronto Emergency Services trunked system, or the individually listed Fire Services frequencies? If Toronto Emergency Services, that is Simulcast and the 996P2 is not designed to work on simulcast, but sometimes works if not too close to the towers depending on location and type of antenna used.

Are you in the city? If not how far away are you from the closest tower?

Discones are not good on 700-800MHz unless you are close to or within about 10 miles of the towers.

ve3elb

Premium Subscriber
Are you importing the Toronto Emergency Services trunked system, or the individually listed Fire Services frequencies? If Toronto Emergency Services, that is Simulcast and the 996P2 is not designed to work on simulcast, but sometimes works if not too close to the towers depending on location and type of antenna used.

Discones are not good on 700-800MHz unless you are close to or within about 10 miles of the towers.
Yes I did import the TES trucked system from RR.
well then if that scanner wont work correctly with that mode. The. I will return it and maybe get the BCD536HP.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber

Don't tell my Discone that.
I use it to pick up 700/800 systems in other counties far more than 10 miles away, and have been for more than two decades now.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
that system is simulcast.

Here's a thought, try the paperclip trick.
Take a small paperclip or short wire (about 2") and stick it into the antenna jack.
Be careful not to use anything that will spread the antenna jack contacts to much and damage the jack itself.
Otherwise use the worst antenna in place of a good antenna. this has been known to work on simulcast systems.