BCD996t and a GPS antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

bondo_06092

Premium Subscriber
hey guys,

Just picked up a 996t today and in the planing stages of my mobile install. My question to you all is if the following install is possible. (search didnt turn up what I was looking for)

If I picked up the following antenna:

Larsen GPSDM12 [Larsen GPSDM12] - $44.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

Can I use that as a GPS antenna for the BCD996T? As strange as it sounds I would rather drill a hole then use a magnet mount but have not found a proper antenna that would allow me to do this.

thanks for the info!

Steve

phask

Premium Subscriber
hey guys,

Just picked up a 996t today and in the planing stages of my mobile install. My question to you all is if the following install is possible. (search didnt turn up what I was looking for)

If I picked up the following antenna:

Larsen GPSDM12 [Larsen GPSDM12] - $44.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

Can I use that as a GPS antenna for the BCD996T? As strange as it sounds I would rather drill a hole then use a magnet mount but have not found a proper antenna that would allow me to do this. Might be an APPRS one but I'm not into that.

thanks for the info!

Steve

You can't use it. You don't need just an antenna, yo need an actual antenna with NMEA output.

OCO

You can't use it. You don't need just an antenna, yo need an actual antenna with NMEA output.
To be a little more precise, the puck looking units (like the Uniden unit BC-GPSK with the additional cable BWZG1844001) are complete GPS units with no display, just the standard serial NMEA 182 output. Be aware that not all GPSs out put the NMEA 182 standard data.

KE5TLF

As stated that's an antenna only, and you need an actual puck GPS which outputs NEMA 0183 data. One of those will have a power lead and data lead. Power will either terminate in a cig lighter plug or just bare leads and the data lead to a DB9 connector. No need for any holes either. Just throw on the dash and dress the cables out to where they need to go. A small piece of non-slip matting may be helpful keeping it place.

BCD996T QandA - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

OCO

As stated that's an antenna only, and you need an actual puck GPS which outputs NEMA 0183 data. One of those will have a power lead and data lead. Power will either terminate in a cig lighter plug or just bare leads and the data lead to a DB9 connector. No need for any holes either. Just throw on the dash and dress the cables out to where they need to go. A small piece of non-slip matting may be helpful keeping it place.

BCD996T QandA - The RadioReference Wiki
Uh - would you believe somebody swapped the 2 and 3 keys on this laptop.?...good catch :D

Status
Not open for further replies.