BCD996t Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

bratsch

I am getting ok reception I guess for in my town, I was just wondering if anybody else has changed there antenna on there new 996 scanner. I am getting some 800mhz channels, but the radio it self shows like 3 or 4 bars of strength, and no voice on the 800 mhz channels. I am not looking to put up any antenna outside due to restrictions. I am using this only as a base model, as we can not have these in our trucks here in minnesota. My reception seems too be good on the lower end of the channels like in the 154.xxx area. I can pick up to 30 miles away with the antenna that came with the unit. Am I just too picky or is there something just a little better out there that I don't know about. Other wise this scanner is great...

K9GTJ

I added the 800 MHz RS antenna with a 90 degree BNC adapter. Works great but I really am ony looking for 800 MHz reception.

yaesumofo

There is no way around the fact that by only using the stock antenna on this radio inside your house you will have only just passable results.
I would look into something called a VENTENNA This device puts an antenna right where it needs to be without drawing any attention to it's self.
http://www.ventenna.com/
They will make an antenna for the frequency you need most as well.
These things are great under the conditions you are under.
If that is not possible A discone up in the attic will work great. Just about anything will work better than what you are using now.
Yaesumofo

SILVERDOLLAR

Bratscj:

Perhaps I'm kornfused. Did you say you are getting 800 channels with 3 or 4 signal strength bars yet no voice audio? Are you actually set up for a digital system? If you are set up for a digital system and are getting that signal strength, that is about the same indicated signal I get on my 996 with the internal supplied antenna and mine is receiving digital fine with good audio. Like I say, perhaps I'm confused!

RISC777

SILVERDOLLAR said:
Bratscj:

Perhaps I'm kornfused. Did you say you are getting 800 channels with 3 or 4 signal strength bars yet no voice audio? Are you actually set up for a digital system? If you are set up for a digital system and are getting that signal strength, that is about the same indicated signal I get on my 996 with the internal supplied antenna and mine is receiving digital fine with good audio. Like I say, perhaps I'm confused!

Hello bratsch,

Same thought crosses my mind. If you've got 3 or 4 bars, you're receiving the control channel(s) fine, you just may not have that system programmed correctly. I can listen to a digital (EDACS and P25) system with 2 bars and hear / receive it fine.

What system are you getting bars on the control channel frequency(ies) but "no audio?"

Status
Not open for further replies.