BCD996T knobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airdorn

Hey all.

I just got this scanner about a week ago. It is one gorgeous piece of work!

My last scanner was a second-hand Uniden Bearcat 995XLT, so you can imagine how much of a shock this beautiful thing is to me right about now. My wife hasn't seen me for about a week.. I have her pass food under the door, haha.

Anyway, the only question I have about the scanner is the squelch and volume knobs.. they seem a tiny-bit loose.. what I mean is, they seem to 'wiggle' a tiny amount, as if the plastic knobs themselves aren't tightly fixed to the shafts. No, they will not pull off the shafts at all. There also is absolutely no operational problem associated with this.

So anyway, these knobs work perfectly.. I have no complaints about that. But I'm used to the 895XLT knobs.... those were snug and felt sturdy and substantial. But if this is normal in the 996T, that's fine.. I'm just wondering if I have a potential problem brewing here.

Once again, this is NOT a complaint. I am ecstatic about this beautiful piece of work that is the 996T.

Thanks!

Airdorn

palo1

The knobs are not meant to be a smooth rotation but rather turning in detents - perhaps this is what you perceive as "looseness"

p

mrdinks

I just got mine last week and never noticed anything. I reached over and tried it and agree with Gearjam, maybe less than that but nothing I notice with normal operation?

eraweeb

Keep in mind that these are "dual function" knobs. They push in as well as rotate. That's what gives the appearance of looseness. The fact that all the knobs on all the radios have this same feel tells you that is intentional.

I'm rather impressed with the small detent increments available with these controls. You will find that these incremental moves respond best with a light and slow touch when being turned.

Try to avoid using them as if you were unscrewing the cap off a bottle of beer! Lighten up a bit.

naSTI

Yeah, there is a slight wiggle to them.. no biggie! And as others have mentioned, these are multi-point dials with a push-in switch, so that definitely contributes to that feel.

BTW: I put rubber tires from a die-cast 4x4 truck on the vol/sql knobs and it works out great for me! Feels much nicer. And doesn't look rigged. Pun intended!! :p

naSTI

Status
Not open for further replies.