BCD996XT Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick0207

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

Anyone have any success with a better antenna for the BCD996XT? ScannerMaster has a few, but I'm looking for one that will improve my range over the stock antenna. Any insight would be appreciated. Mostly for monitoring the Ohio MARCS...

Thanks!

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Nick,
good thing i found this thread i'm in the same boat... have you made a decision yet? I was thinking of using a mobile mag mount here in the room. you are right scanner master does have a few nice models..

Last edited:

Nick0207

Premium Subscriber
W9RHM, do you happen to know the range on that antenna? Would it be good for picking up traffic 30 to 40 miles away?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
No antenna has a "range". Range depends on many other things including transmitter power, antenna, and geological layout.

You should have a MARCS site closer to you than 40 miles away.

If you are looking to receive a system 40 miles away you should look toward a yagi antenna pointed at the transmitting antenna.

Example:
https://www.scannermaster.com/Laird_PC806N_Yagi_Base_Antenna_p/20-541587.htm

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
I took a ride up to Scanner master yesterday. They told me that they dont sell much of that antenna so they dont stock it.it's the one i wanted. I bought theAustin spectra unit for $140. The counter person said it works well. I figure that antenna ,magmount a splitter will get me listening.. it's going to be used inside anyhow... i'm tying a 780 and a 996 together

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
hey thanks fo the reply..
i just called the local RS they have a few in stock i'll run over there and get one... guess if i do it this way i wont need the $50 coupler then.. i'll let you know how imake out.

Nick0207

Premium Subscriber
The Radio Shack 800 mhz antenna more affordable and I can pick it up at the local store, but it does not bend at a 90 degree angle. That would be essential for a base scanner... would anyone recommend that over the 800 MHz 2.5db Gain Base BNC antenna from Scanner Master?

garys

Premium Subscriber
The Radio Shack 800 mhz antenna more affordable and I can pick it up at the local store, but it does not bend at a 90 degree angle. That would be essential for a base scanner... would anyone recommend that over the 800 MHz 2.5db Gain Base BNC antenna from Scanner Master?

You are likely to lose some signal with any 90 degree bend, so why not get a RS antenna and a right angle BNC adapter?

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
I picked it up this evening and i also picked up another collaspable seems to work.. when i get the rest of everything programmed i'll let you know how it ALL works out thanks for the tips

Status
Not open for further replies.