BCFY Calls - DFW Area Nodes

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well folks,

I had to take down my BCFY Nodes in the DFW area for a bit because the renovations on my home in Highland Park have reached a point where they needed to cut power to the house to start drilling pier and beams for the addition we're putting on the home.

I was covering quite a few of the NTIRN sites in the metro area, including Fort Worth, Irving, Arlington, NE Tarrant, and Dallas.

This is a good example of why it would be AWESOME if we could get some more contributors to setup nodes for BCFY Calls in the DFW Area for coverage, since the nodes all back each other up.

If you are interested in doing it, see here:

Otherwise, it might be some time before I can get my nodes back up and running - maybe a few months. I know quite a few people have been using BCFY Calls in the DFW area so it would be super cool if some folks could step up.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Are you still running a Bergheim LCRA node? I want to get one up for Luckenbach but I have to get a better antenna before I can pull it in reliably. Same with Comal Co, I need a directional because the simulcast I get from their Bulverde and Canyon Lake sites make it difficult to get acceptable audio quality.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Copy that, whenever you head to DFW full time I can take on Bergheim since it’s 3 miles from me. Reception within the hill country can be tricky. I pick up Blanco GATRRS better than Boerne LCRA from my house.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Someone should consider taking over the AARRS NW node that I'm providing as well. I'm providing both these nodes from my rental house in the Dominion. I hope to be out of here by late fall, but given the delays in construction and permitting etc it might not be until the end of the year.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
If someone could put the alert / notification out to the DFW area scanner lists etc that would be great. I don't think I've been on any of those groups in a while.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Copy that, whenever you head to DFW full time I can take on Bergheim since it’s 3 miles from me. Reception within the hill country can be tricky. I pick up Blanco GATRRS better than Boerne LCRA from my house.
That has a lot to do with how the two systems are built though. LCRA focuses on coverage on the Colorado river and it's tributaries. Outside the footprint of that they don't focus as much on coverage unless they have public safety customers in the area. The Western Counties portion of GATRRS is built to provide 90-95% portable coverage in the counties. Part of the reason Blanco has a site in Gillespie county, Burnet has a site in Lampasas county and Llano has a site in Burnet county...fills coverage holes that were really needed for portable coverage but not so much for mobile coverage.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Someone should consider taking over the AARRS NW node that I'm providing as well. I'm providing both these nodes from my rental house in the Dominion. I hope to be out of here by late fall, but given the delays in construction and permitting etc it might not be until the end of the year.
I want to run that node too when the time comes, but I’m halfway down a hill near Spring Creek in Boerne and would need an actual pole above the roofline to have a chance at that one

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I thought about providing a nodes feed for NTIRN dallas but i am not happy with my audio quality coming off my setup.
I have it set up and am only providing a private feed for my self when im at work. There is just something odd about this 3-1 site in Dallas in the area where i live that prevents me from getting good decoding. Its not just the RTL SDR dongles. My Unication G4 and KNG2-P800 also suffer poor decode / audio issues when i am in and around my residence (Old east dallas) but travel 10 minutes in any direction and they work great. SDS100 works great though.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I thought about providing a nodes feed for NTIRN dallas but i am not happy with my audio quality coming off my setup.
I have it set up and am only providing a private feed for my self when im at work. There is just something odd about this 3-1 site in Dallas in the area where i live that prevents me from getting good decoding. Its not just the RTL SDR dongles. My Unication G4 and KNG2-P800 also suffer poor decode / audio issues when i am in and around my residence (Old east dallas) but travel 10 minutes in any direction and they work great. SDS100 works great though.
Same here in NE Tarrant. The 800 Mhz Site 2 comes in much better. Also, not a fan of streaming for the public. So I'll pass on streaming it, which I think encourages and accelerates encryption.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
I wish someone would get nodes up for Balch springs PD /FD