BCT15 reception??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbeck41

I know reception has alot to do with antenna. I am running BCT15 and BCD396T of a ScanAtenna. Both are sitting right next to each other. BCD396T seems to pull in a stronger signal then the BCT15 when hitting the same freqs. I get 4 to 5 bars on 396 and nothing on the 15. Any suggestions? Thanks Gregory

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Which frequencies are you trying to monitor?

Is the system or tower close to you or far away?

Any interference from nearby electronics? (computer, router, cell, etc.)

Any usual interference from nearby towers such as paging transmitters?

fireant

Often the higher end scanners will have a better receiver in them besides the digital feature often cases of why they cost a little more. Not saying the 15 is bad but thats what I have been told.

fireant

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
How are you splitting the antenna between radios? Are you using a multi-coupler?

MB

Feed Provider
So far my BCT15 seems to have a slight edge over my BC780, BC898T and PRO2067. They are all connected to a 3dB VHF-hi Antenex Omni with a Stridsberg active Multicoupler. The PRO-2055 doesn't even compare, it overloads as soon as I conect it to an external antenna.

gbeck41

Thanks everyone for your help. Yes I am using a two splitter. Most of the freqs VHF high. I have know taken out the cable for the splitter and ran it directly into BCT15. A little improvement. I usually pick up a strong signal from the Paragould PD which is about 25 miles away from. Get 4 to 5 bars on 396. Now on the BCT15 lucky to get 1! Their are other freqs farther away that I can pick up with 396 but not the BCT15. But believe this I have Pro-2052 and its kicking butt with mobile mag mount antenna on the roof, It picks up better than the BCT15! Like Fireant said could be true, but expected more from the BCT15 to out do the Pro-2052!

nydxa

Signal strength

A few things to consider.
1. The "bars" are only a relative indication of signal strength. The same signal on the same antenna will not necessarily show the same number of bars - this isn't a caliberated measurement.

2.A two way splitter has three connections. Check to see that your antenna is connected to the "input", and that each receiver is connected to "output".

3.To rule out the possibility of a bad splitter, bypass the splitter and check signal levels using a direct connection. This would also give you some idea of just how much signal loss the splitter introduces.

4. Of course, it's also possible thatthe use of an external antenna and the presence of a strong signal is desensing the receivers front end, thus resulting in what appears to be poorer sensitivity.

Hope this helps to figure out what's going on.

AG4WI

My BCT15 works Great!!!! Noting to complain about at all. I have 5 other scanners and it receives as well as the best of them and a lot better than my 780. I hear VHF signals that my 780 does not stop on.
Check to make sure you dont have the Attenuator turned on.
Try hooking the BTC 15 up to the other Coax that the other scanneris hooked up to and see if that helps.

gbeck41

nydxa, on your #4 comment if that could be the problem what can I do? I have bypassed the splitter and gone directly to scanner. Turned off Attenuator as mention by AG4WI. Still no better reception. My Pro 2052 is picking up freqs 50 miles from me and the BCT15 isn't. Now I am hardly picking up nothing! Have change antennas and coax to rule out that problem. Scanner is not even a month old!

safetyobc

gbeck41 said:
nydxa, on your #4 comment if that could be the problem what can I do? I have bypassed the splitter and gone directly to scanner. Turned off Attenuator as mention by AG4WI. Still no better reception. My Pro 2052 is picking up freqs 50 miles from me and the BCT15 isn't. Now I am hardly picking up nothing! Have change antennas and coax to rule out that problem. Scanner is not even a month old!

Must be your unit. My BCT15 is picking up great on VHF-High using a Scantenna. Better than my 2052 did (lots of interference picked up by the 2052 when I had it) and about equal than my 396 and 330 connected to the Scantenna. I think the BCT15 is a great receiver and have had nothing but success with it so far. Of course, it could be the difference in locations between us in the different performance. But here in South Arkansas, it works great for me.

The 396/330 scanners perform almost equal to the 15 on using the same antenna, at least to me. But I never actually looked at signal strength on each scanner.

I know that isn't any help to you, sorry.

maalox

hi. i just received my bct15 yesterday. thanks matt for your help. i notice is i have all my freqs programmed with the search ctcss i am picking strange ctcss readings not normally associated for the channels excellent receive i just have to put the corecct tone in. excellent radio. but i think the 330t picks upa little better than the bct15.. i also have them hooked up to a scannerantenna also.

gbeck41

Well BIG THANKS to nydxa and AG4WI. I turn off the Antenuator on all freqs and it worked!! Maybe someone can explain why this happen?Theirs some great people on here thanks everybody for their help! gregory

maalox

bct15 seach and store

hi.. i just discoverd that you can search and store in trunked systems. i never new that.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
maalox said:
hi.. i just discoverd that you can search and store in trunked systems. i never new that.

Awesome feature, just wish it would also let you hear the audio as it stores the talkgroup or on a frequency, for conventional search and store.

Status
Not open for further replies.