Bct15X Programming cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyair1

Got a new bct15x and i'm finally getting around to setting it up. I see the cable that comes with it for the computer programming has a serial end on it. I have windows 7 and have no serial ports. I have a 780xlt also that i program with my computer. I bought a cable from monprice.com for it. I was wondering if this cable they have will work to connect the uniden factory cable to mine computer-

For only $4.47 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB to Serial Convert Cable ( DB9M / USB A Male) - 3FT | USB to Serial/Parallel Converters

Is this what i'm after to tie into the uniden cable and then be able to plug-in my computers usb? Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It certainly looks like it. Make sure you get the most up to date drivers for it - this is very important. It should work with both scanners - just make sure you set up the scanner's port(s) first. I'm not sure about the 780 (it should be in the user manual), but the BCT15x procedure is a little different, since there's 2 - one in front, one in back. The various DMA scanner setups are summarized here for a quick reference;

Freescan - Connecting Scanner to PC - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

W2PMX

If it works for one scanner it should work for all scanners (that have serial programming cables). I haven't found any adapter that doesn't work that way, and I have a few of each (the chips are either Prolific or FTDI). The only "catch" with these cables is to use the right driver - if you do they work and if you don't they don't work. What's on the other end (the scanner) is irrelevant.

nyair1

I think the rear connector on the bct15x is only for the GPS connection? The front connector is a usb. The cable that uniden gives you is a mini usb and serial end. I think i would need to plug into the uniden cable with a adapter cable and then be able to plug it into my computers usb? Does this sound right? Thanks

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think the rear connector on the bct15x is only for the GPS connection? The front connector is a usb. The cable that uniden gives you is a mini usb and serial end. I think i would need to plug into the uniden cable with a adapter cable and then be able to plug it into my computers usb? Does this sound right? Thanks

While the primary intent of Uniden was to use the rear port for GPS, you can program through the rear port, but might need a gender changer and null modem to get the computer to communicate to the scanner properly. The put the front port on for programming to make it easier for people with scanners installed either in dash or in consoles. IIRC, you can only do firmware updates through the front port, not the rear one.

The Uniden supplied cable uses a serial connector on one end and a specific connector on the other end which is NOT mini or micro USB. It's not proprietary, but it's not common either.
Life would have been much easier if they had used a mini USB port, but they didn't.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

The rear port of the BCT15X does work. To use the rear port, a null modem adapter is needed which swaps pins 2 & 3.

Since you have the cable to program the BC780, one option is to use the same cable and obtain a null modem adapter. You may also need a gender changer adapter.

[EDIT] Posted same time as garys.

nyair1

The rear port of the BCT15X does work. To use the rear port, a null modem adapter is needed which swaps pins 2 & 3.

Since you have the cable to program the BC780, one option is to use the same cable and obtain a null modem adapter. You may also need a gender changer adapter.

[EDIT] Posted same time as garys.

Glad to see that you had chimed in. I was wondering if you have anymore info on using the proscan software with a bct15x? I already use it with my 780xlt and it works great. Wondering if there is any type of programming guide to get started with the dma type radios. Never had one of these before. I know if have to put my freqs in a group instead of banks like the 780 but i'm having a problem getting started in proscan. Thanks

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Glad to see that you had chimed in. I was wondering if you have anymore info on using the proscan software with a bct15x? I already use it with my 780xlt and it works great. Wondering if there is any type of programming guide to get started with the dma type radios. Never had one of these before. I know if have to put my freqs in a group instead of banks like the 780 but i'm having a problem getting started in proscan. Thanks

Here are the steps in a nutshell.
1. Click to the Database menu then "New". Name the new file.

If you have a RR subscription then go to the Database "Import" menu item. If not then do the following steps

2. Go to the menu in the Database tab and click on "Add" then "System". Click on "Add" and choose "Site(for trunking sys.) or Group(for conventional sys.) Put in the frequencies there by clicking on "Add" and "Channel".
4. For trunking sys. Click on "Add" and choose "Group. Put the talk group ID's there by clicking on "Add" and "Channel".

The system/site/group/channels when created will contain default values. These are the same values as the scanner default values.

You should assign each system(conv.) or site(trunking) SQK's(System/Site/Search Quick Key) and the groups GQK's(Group Quick Key).

Upload the systems to the scanner.

RadioReference Wiki
Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Mark's Scanners web site
Easier to Read BCT15-X Scanner Manual

Last edited:

nyair1

Here are the steps in a nutshell.
1. Click to the Database menu then "New". Name the new file.

If you have a RR subscription then go to the Database "Import" menu item. If not then do the following steps

2. Go to the menu in the Database tab and click on "Add" then "System". Click on "Add" and choose "Site(for trunking sys.) or Group(for conventional sys.) Put in the frequencies there.
4. For trunking sys. Click on "Add" and choose "Group. Put the talk group ID's there.

The system/site/group/channels when created will contain default values. These are the same values as the scanner default values.

You should assign each system(conv.) or site(trunking) SQK's(System/Site/Search Quick Key) and the groups GQK's(Group Quick Key).

Upload the systems to the scanner.

RadioReference Wiki
Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Mark's Scanners web site

Ok so once i open up a new file and start a group for standard system then i can put in the freqs and channel tags and such. I will give that a try when i get home. There is only one local edacs system in my area so most are just standard freqs. I will be using this alot for milair too. Thanks for the help and keep up the great product!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Ok so once i open up a new file and start a group for standard system then i can put in the freqs and channel tags and such. I will give that a try when i get home. There is only one local edacs system in my area so most are just standard freqs. I will be using this alot for milair too. Thanks for the help and keep up the great product!

For non trunking systems, choose "Conventional" when the "System Type" prompt appears.

nyair1

Ok looks like i have it setup right now. Thanks again for the help.

RonnieUSA

Got a new bct15x and i'm finally getting around to setting it up. I see the cable that comes with it for the computer programming has a serial end on it. I have windows 7 and have no serial ports. I have a 780xlt also that i program with my computer. I bought a cable from monprice.com for it. I was wondering if this cable they have will work to connect the uniden factory cable to mine computer-

For only $4.47 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB to Serial Convert Cable ( DB9M / USB A Male) - 3FT | USB to Serial/Parallel Converters

Is this what i'm after to tie into the uniden cable and then be able to plug-in my computers usb? Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but did this cable work?
I ordered one Friday, because my tower died, and my laptop only has usb ports.

nyair1

To answer my own question, Yes it works with Windows 7, And it uses the newest driver available. Driver Version 3.4.62.293, Date 10/17/2013, Prolific PL2303 TA Chipset

USB to Serial Convert Cable ( DB9M / USB A Male) - 3FT - Monoprice.com
1 = $5.54, Plus 2.27 shipping for a total of $7.81, much cheaper than the one from Uniden.

Sorry Ronnie haven't been on here. Glad you got your radio up and running. Still learning how everything works on the 15X. Heres a link to a manual to give you more info on the radio if you don't have it -

Status
Not open for further replies.