BCT15X: BCT15X programming cable

Bob1955

I think the newer ones are coming with a serial-to-USB cable.
Uniden America Corporation has NEVER updated to the USB serial to USB cable since the Bearcat BCT15X has been on the market since 2009. The entire scanner line-up needs to be updated except the SDS100/SDS200.
Shame on UNIDEN as they are pitiful, and their quality control has slipped ever since Paul Opitz passed away plus COVID-19 and chip shortages too. This company makes "HUGE" profits on their equipment too.
I'm sending back a Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 that i just received from Amazon as the VHF High Band does NOT work. Serial number indicate that it was manufactured in 2022 and the box was perfectly clean also and was shipped in an outside shipping cartoon.
BUYERS BEWARE

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Uniden America Corporation has NEVER updated to the USB serial to USB cable since the Bearcat BCT15X has been on the market since 2009. The entire scanner line-up needs to be updated except the SDS100/SDS200.
Shame on UNIDEN as they are pitiful, and their quality control has slipped ever since Paul Opitz passed away plus COVID-19 and chip shortages too. This company makes "HUGE" profits on their equipment too.
I'm sending back a Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 that i just received from Amazon as the VHF High Band does NOT work. Serial number indicate that it was manufactured in 2022 and the box was perfectly clean also and was shipped in an outside shipping cartoon.
BUYERS BEWARE
I said that way back in post #3, and I said "I think", meaning I wasn't certain. That was based on what I received in the box with the last one I ordered "new".

It's already been established (19 post back in this thread) that was apparently an exception to the norm.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
BUYERS BEWARE
Did you update the firmware when you got it?

The BCD996P2's work so good for me on VHF that I recently purchased my second one, dedicated to VHF and UHF aircraft monitoring.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
BUYERS BEWARE
That's absurd. First, Uniden has brought out MANY new scanners that use USB ports for various things. Second, Paul was the product manager but Uniden Japan was the engineering and manufacturer of the radios sold in the US and had no actual control over QC or manufacture of the radios other than the ability to report issues and request changes. @JoeBearcat has that ability also.

Bob1955

Bob just tell us what in the BCT15X needs updating I am running 4 THEY WORK GREAT FOR WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR.
budd-They still come with the outdated computer cable that plugs into the current models so you have to purchase the correct USB-1 from Amazon which is ridiculous.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
budd-They still come with the outdated computer cable that plugs into the current models so you have to purchase the correct USB-1 from Amazon which is ridiculous.
There are no "current" models of the BCT15X. It was released in August of 2009, almost 14 years ago. You want better connectivity, buy a newer model scanner.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
RS-232 serial ports are not outdated, they're still in use today and available on high-end computers, just not the inexpensive consumer grade ones. The last five computers I bought all had serial ports on them, some even had two. My current Dell 5820 Workstation has a DB -9 serial port on it.

Bob1955

Yes Bob stop buying CHEAP COMPUTERS I just bought a New Win 10/11 LAPTOP with 9 pin port on it.
budd-I own a HP 23.8" IPS FHD Touch All-In One Computer (8GB DDR4(1 TB 7200) (Wi Fi-Bluetooth) (purchased from Costco Wholesale Club (2) years ago and it wasn't on sale and it was $679.95 so it's not a CHEAP computer. I "HATE" laptops but each to their own. This has a touch screen/DVD Writer too.
Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11, Budd?