Bearcat 885 SD Card Advanced Editing

What is your favorite function of the Bearcat 885?

• CB Function

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Looks Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Hello All,

This is my first post to this wonderful community. A little bit about myself, I am retired Military / Federal Law Enforcement. I have worked with many different radio systems from the common HHR/LMR to running Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) systems & cables through old Saddam Bunkers/Tunnels in Iraq.

With that said, I am by no means an expert when it comes to the Science of Radio, which I am only just now deep diving into. The basic principles and utilization of various equipment really is limited to that of a Radio/Telephone Operator (RTO or “Ratello”) in the Military. Otherwise, a preteen Ham certified youth would likely confound me of the finer aspects of what I am finding later in life, a wonderful realm. Perhaps, I’m simply treading the same path of many retirees who suddenly find more time on their hands, but enough of my rambling.

Just received my new Bearcat 885, after much research in its capabilities, I chose to purchase it for a mobile solution to having exactly zero comms in my truck, other than handhelds. Having done the update for the SD Card via the “Handy” one touch Uniden software, I dug deeper into the file structure >BCDx36HP>HPDB folders to see what Uniden has made available to the “End User” John Q. Public. Knowing Uniden has held many Government (Federal, State, & Local) Contracts, I figured they had a pretty good library of Agencies, Talk Groups, Trunking, etc. WOW! I have to say I’m surprised!

In a former life, I held a Yankee White TS/SCI Clearance and know much about Strategic, Operational, and Tactical Operations involving National Security. You could say, I was an “Enforcer” for much of my career in this world. Now, what is “Available” to the Bearcat 885 Owner who simply uses the Uniden Update Software is good enough for government work as we say, however, for the owner who wants more bang for their $400+ can access MUCH, MUCH more with the underrated Scanner function. If you have more information, which I likely have missed, please chime in, and provide what you know. Please and Thank You.

Bottom line, it isn’t the Hardware that’s the problem, it’s the Knowingly restrictive nature of the HPDB files that prevent many users from fully exploiting the full capabilities of this equipment. Now, you ain’t gonna decrypt Alphabet Agency transmissions with this thing, but… It is absolutely insane how much Uniden has put into their database. For example, they have government agencies and facilities that deal in highly sensitive operations, and Uniden has made a Master Listing, complete with Latitude/Longitude Locations of said facilities.

For those who know what Raven Rock Site R is, and other locations elsewhere, say in Nevada, should be highly interested in digging further into this Database. So, without further diatribe, let’s see what happens…

TLDR: BEARCAT 885 SD CARD ADVANCED EDITING ~ (AT LEAST MORE THAN I’VE FOUND)

• MAKE SURE YOUR SD CARD LOCK SLIDER IS UNLOCKED SO YOUR CAN EDIT YOUR SD CARD!!!
  • UPDATE YOUR SD CARD WITH THE UNIDEN SOFTWARE > ARCHIVE OFFLINE IN BACKUP LOCATION/FOLDER/CLOUD > THIS WILL SAVE YOU IF/WHEN YOU MAKE A MISTAKE
  • NOTE: IF YOU DO SCREW UP, THEN COPY PASTE A NEW “EDITING” COPY FROM THIS BACKUP. DO NOT START REEDITING YOUR BACKUP FILES!!!
  • MAKE A SANDBOX COPY IN A FOLDER OF YOUR CHOOSING > STANDBY FOR THE RABBIT HOLE
  • DOWNLOAD NOTEPAD++ > INSTALL ON YOUR PLATFORM/COMPUTER ( Downloads | Notepad++ )
  • OPEN BCDx36HP > OPEN HPDB > OPEN/ASSOCIATE (hpdb AND s_000000) FILES WITH NOTEPAD++ > CLOSE BOTH WITHIN NOTEPAD++ TAB(S) (INTERNAL TO THE PROGRAM) (DON’T SAVE ANYTHING)
  • REOPEN HPDB > NOTE STATE ID NUMBER > SCROLL DOWN > NOTE COUNTY(S) NUMBERS > CLOSE WITHOUT SAVING
  • TACTICAL PAUSE > DO NOT SAVE OR EDIT ANYTHING YET!!! MUCH OF THE HIDDEN ITEMS IN THIS DATABASE IS DUE TO SEVERAL FACTORS. THE BEARCAT 885 IS MEANT TO SERVE A DRIVER’S AUDIENCE, TRUCKERS, TRAVELERS, ECT. FOLLOWING MY INSTRUCTIONS WILL KEEP WITH THIS SPIRIT OF SAFETY WHILE ALLOWING YOU TO LISTEN IN ON WHAT UNCLE SUGAR IS UP TO. AFTER DIGGING INTO THIS DATABASE FOR SEVERAL HOURS I HAVE DISCOVERED THE FOLLOW METHODS ON HOW UNIDEN RESTRICTS MUCH OF THE HIGHER-LEVEL AGENCY DATA FROM THE COMMON PERSON. (FOR FILE s_000000 NATIONAL LEVEL ONLY)
  • IDs (AGENCY, TRUNK, TGROUP, AND SITE) BE SURE TO KEEP TRACK OF HOW THE HIERARCHIES DRILL DOWN!!! NO NEED TO EDIT, RECOMMEND YOU DON’T!!!
  • TALK BANKS (THE 885 ONLY SCANS THE MAIN FOUR [ 1, 2, 3, & 4 ])!!!
  • 1 = Multi-Dispatch/Government/Public Works / Alternates = 6, 14, 22, 40, 42, 43, 49, & 50 (Perhaps Others)
  • 2 = Law Enforcement / Alternates = 7 & 23 (Perhaps Others)
  • 3 = Fire / Alternates = 8 * 24 (Perhaps Others)
  • 4 = EMS/Medical / Alternates = 9 & 25 (Perhaps Others)
  • DISTANCE RADIUSES i.e., Circle & AUTO OR THE NUMBER DIRECTLY RIGHT OF THE LATITUDE/LONGITUDES (39.635605 -84.931071) XX.0 FORMAT
  • PAY PARTICULATE ATTENTION TO DISTANCES THAT ARE 5 MILES OR LESS! THIS ALONE HELPED ME FIND MANY OBSCURE ITEMS WHICH I CAN STILL NOT TALK ABOUT. THIS DISTANCE RESTRICTION ONLY WOULD ALLOW SOMEONE RIGHT NEXT TO THE FACILITY/BASE/INSTALLATION TO LISTEN ONLY IF THEY HAD BEEN REASSIGNED TO ONE OF THE FOUR (1,2,3,4) TALK BANKS ABOVE!
  • UNDERSTAND MANY OF THESE “OPERATIONS” MAY BE HEADQUARTERED OUT OF A LOCATION… BUT THEY WORK NATIONALLY AND/OR GLOBALLY, THEREFORE IT MIGHT ORIGINATE OUT OF WASHINGTON D.C. BUT IT IS REPEATED OUT IN SOME CORN FIELD! TAKE IT FROM A GUY WHO USED TO GUARD THE STUFF IN REMOTE HANGARS AND BUNKERS!
  • USE LOGIC!
  • IF: THE ASSIGNED TALK BANK IS ABOVE THE FOUR TALK BANKS (AS ASSIGNED IN THE DATABASE)
  • AND/OR: THE DISTANCE (GPS) RADIUS IS > 5 MILES OR LIMITED UNDER THE TRANSMITTER CAPABILITY
  • AND/OR: THE OPERATIONS ARE NATIONAL/GLOBAL (WEIRD LIGHTS IN SKY)
  • THEN: YOU MIGHT WANT TO DIG DEEPER
  • NOTE: I ASSIGN NATIONAL LEVEL PROGRAMS TO A 5000 MILE RADIUS JUST IN CASE I’M IN THE AREA… 😉
  • REOPEN s_000000 (NATIONAL LEVEL DATABASE FILE > LOOK AROUND > TAKE AS LONG AS YOU LIKE > USE THE FIND (Ctrl + F) FUNCTION OF NOTEPAD ++ TO FIND KEY ITEMS OF INTEREST > RUMINATE AND DETERMINE/MAKE A LIST OF YOUR ITEMS. (I WILL PROVIDE A LIST OF MINE FURTHER DOWN OR IN A RESPONSE POST)
  • NOW THAT YOU’VE DETERMINED WHAT YOU WANT TO LOOK FOR, LOOK FOR IT, CHANGE THE DISTANCE, AND SAVE YOUR WORK OFTEN! DO IT METHODICALLY, STEP BY STEP. SAVE!!!
  • BE CAREFUL IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THE FIND AND REPLACE FUNCTION WITHIN THE (Ctrl + F) SEARCH FUNCTION (2nd TAB) (((HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DON’T DO THIS WITH CHANGING THE DISTANCES!!!)))
  • THIS CAN BE USEFUL TO CHANGE “EN MASSE” THE TALK BANKS, BUT BE CAREFUL!!!
  • i.e., I WANT TO CHANGE ALL THE LAW ENFORCEMENT 7’s TO 2’s….
  • SIMPLY CUT N’ PASTE WHAT YOU WANT IN THE FIND BOX (BE SURE TO CHECK THE TWO BUTTONS BOX NEXT TO THE FIND NEXT BUTTON)
  • AND DO THE SAME FOR THE REPLACE BOX > THEN EDIT TO WHAT YOU WANT, OR TYPE IT ALL IN
  • CUT N PASTE:
  • FIND: ALL 7 / REPLACE: ALL 2
  • FIND: ALL 23 / REPLACE: ALL 2
  • NOTE RECOMMEND CUT N’ PASTE DUE TO THE SPACING WITHIN THE DOCUMENT, ESPECIALLY WITH THE “REPLACE ALL FUNCTION”
  • THIS WORK WELL BECAUSE THE “QUALIFIER OF ‘ALL’” ENSURES A SOLID REPLACEMENT
  • THIS WORKS GREAT FOR FILE s_000000 NATIONAL LEVEL AGENCIES
  • HOWEVER, FOR YOUR STATE (Numbered File) YOU’LL NEED TO HAND JAM THE CHANGES. DON’T WORRY… IT BUILDS CHARACTER!!!
  • NEXT, OPEN THE RESPECTIVE STATE(S) FILES (ANY OF THE ONES AFTER FILE s_000000), AND EDIT LOOKING AT THE ABOVE RESTRICTIVE PARAMETERS.
  • EDIT THE COUNTY(S) OF CHOICE
  • REMEMBER TO LOOK FOR AND EDIT THE NATIONAL LEVEL AGENCIES, WHICH OPERATE WITHIN YOUR STATE(S)
  • I AM NOT 100% SURE IF THE EDITS FROM THE s_000000 FILE DRILL DOWN TO AND/OR OVERRIDE THE STATE FILES. (COULD USE SOME EXPERT INPUT ON THIS ISSUE)
Well, that’s pretty much what I have discovered in the first few hours of digging into the software. Seeing that the file structure’s naming convention and the format identifiers of “Target Model BCDx36HP” within the files leads me to here (BCDx36HP Series - The RadioReference Wiki)

This leads me to think perhaps Sentinel Software can edit a few things within the files, however there are many who say it can’t, thus I chose to “Hand Jam” everything. Perhaps, someone smarter than I can figure it out! Regardless, I hope this helps folks who either own or are considering owning the versatile Bearcat 885 Hybrid CB Scanner.

Breaker Wun Nine, this is the Sheepdog, Radio Check, C’Mon…

SOME RECOMMENDED SEARCH TERMS FOR THE NATIONAL LEVEL AND STATE FILES

NOTE: I began to keep track of the SiteId, AgencyId, and TrunkId of certain items of interest in the National File, to make it easier to find things in the State File(s). Remember to Up the Mile Radius for Agencies that operate nationally, globally. 2000, 3000 miles typically works. I use 5000 Miles due to Alaska and traveling the ALCAN Highway.

AFOSI
AGENCY
AIR FORCE (File = s_000000 - Line 69439 / TrunkId=3593)
AIR FORCE ONE
ANDREWS
ARKANSAS AWIN (TrunkId=3918)
ARMY (File = s_000000 - Line 70829 / TrunkId=7614)
ATF
ATTORNEY GENERAL
BASE
BECHTEL
BOEING (File s_000000 - Line 28123 / AgencyId=-7665)
BUNKER
BUREAU
CAPITAL
CAPITOL
CAR TO CAR
CENTER
CID
COG
COMMISSION
COMMON
CONSERVATION
CONTINUITY
COOP
CORRECTIONAL
COUNTER
COVERT
DEA
DEFENSE
DIEBOLD
DISPATCH
DOD (BASE NAMES) (File = s_000000 - AgencyID=-3856)
DOE
DOJ
ENGINEERS
EOC
E-SYSTEMS
EVACUATE
EXECUTIVE
EXPEDITIONARY
FACILITY
FBI
FEDERAL (File = s_000000 - TrunkId=3918)
FEMA
FISH
FORT GORDON
FORT MEADE
FUGITIVE
GAME
GANG
GENERAL DYNAMICS
HOMELAND
HONEYWELL
INCIDENT
INSTALLATION
INTEGRATED WIRELESS NETWORK NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION/SURVEILLANCE (TrunkId=6784)
INTEL
INTRA
IRIDIUM
ITINERANT
JOINT
JOINT NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION (TrunkId=4699)
JUSTICE INTEGRATED WIRELESS NETWORK (File s_000000 Line 34927 / TrunkId=3509)
LOCKHEED
MARINES (File = s_000000 - Line 72111 / TrunkId=8274)
MARSHAL
MCCARRAN
MILITARY
MILITARY POLICE
MISSOURI / MOSWIN (AgencyId=-6847)
MOTORCADE
MOTOROLA FEDERAL SOLUTIONS (CDC AgencyId=-8320)
MULTIJURISDICTIONAL
NAOC
NARCOTIC
NASA
NATIONAL
NAVY
NCIS
NEVADA
NEVADA SHARED RADIO SYSTEM (AgencyId=-706 / TrunkId=706)
NEW MADRID
NGA
NNSA
NORTHRUP
NPS
NSA (File s_000000 Line 72036 / TrunkId=4695)
OFFUT
OPERATIONS
ORGANIZED CRIME
PENTAGON
PRESIDENT
PRISON
PROTECTIVE
PUBLIC
PYRAMID
RAVEN ROCK
RAYTHEON
REGION
RESEARCH
SAFETY
SANDIA
SECRET
SECURITY
SECURITY FORCES
SENEX
SERVICE
SONGBIRD
SPECIAL
STATEWIDE
TACTIC
TACTICAL
TASKFORCE
TOWER
TRAFFICKING
TRAILER
USSS/SECRET SERVICE (File s_000000 Line 20073)
VC-25
WILDLIFE
YANKEE WHITE

Last edited:

252Survivor

Do you change Global to a number or leave it, also where is the national file I haven't seen it all I've found is state files?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for this enlightening post on the BearTracker 885! There hasn't been too many in depth informative post on the 885. And most of all, thank your for your service! (y)

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Do you change Global to a number or leave it, also where is the national file I haven't seen it all I've found is state files?
National File is the one BEFORE all the state files... Out in the woods right now... can't remember off the top of my head. Like file.1 or 2 maybe.... Don't change any Words to numbers... only Numbers to Numbers as per my instructions.

Ubbe

You can use Proscan to edit the database file, or use Excel or the free OpenOffice Calc and that will keep the integrity of the file when you edit and later save it. Distances and the other parameters will be in their own column easy to edit.

/Ubbe

mtmichaud

Hello All,

This is my first post to this wonderful community. A little bit about myself, I am retired Military / Federal Law Enforcement. I have worked with many different radio systems from the common HHR/LMR to running Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) systems & cables through old Saddam Bunkers/Tunnels in Iraq.

With that said, I am by no means an expert when it comes to the Science of Radio, which I am only just now deep diving into. The basic principles and utilization of various equipment really is limited to that of a Radio/Telephone Operator (RTO or “Ratello”) in the Military. Otherwise, a preteen Ham certified youth would likely confound me of the finer aspects of what I am finding later in life, a wonderful realm. Perhaps, I’m simply treading the same path of many retirees who suddenly find more time on their hands, but enough of my rambling.

Just received my new Bearcat 885, after much research in its capabilities, I chose to purchase it for a mobile solution to having exactly zero comms in my truck, other than handhelds. Having done the update for the SD Card via the “Handy” one touch Uniden software, I dug deeper into the file structure >BCDx36HP>HPDB folders to see what Uniden has made available to the “End User” John Q. Public. Knowing Uniden has held many Government (Federal, State, & Local) Contracts, I figured they had a pretty good library of Agencies, Talk Groups, Trunking, etc. WOW! I have to say I’m surprised!

In a former life, I held a Yankee White TS/SCI Clearance and know much about Strategic, Operational, and Tactical Operations involving National Security. You could say, I was an “Enforcer” for much of my career in this world. Now, what is “Available” to the Bearcat 885 Owner who simply uses the Uniden Update Software is good enough for government work as we say, however, for the owner who wants more bang for their $400+ can access MUCH, MUCH more with the underrated Scanner function. If you have more information, which I likely have missed, please chime in, and provide what you know. Please and Thank You.

Bottom line, it isn’t the Hardware that’s the problem, it’s the Knowingly restrictive nature of the HPDB files that prevent many users from fully exploiting the full capabilities of this equipment. Now, you ain’t gonna decrypt Alphabet Agency transmissions with this thing, but… It is absolutely insane how much Uniden has put into their database. For example, they have government agencies and facilities that deal in highly sensitive operations, and Uniden has made a Master Listing, complete with Latitude/Longitude Locations of said facilities.

For those who know what Raven Rock Site R is, and other locations elsewhere, say in Nevada, should be highly interested in digging further into this Database. So, without further diatribe, let’s see what happens…

TLDR: BEARCAT 885 SD CARD ADVANCED EDITING ~ (AT LEAST MORE THAN I’VE FOUND)

• MAKE SURE YOUR SD CARD LOCK SLIDER IS UNLOCKED SO YOUR CAN EDIT YOUR SD CARD!!!
  • UPDATE YOUR SD CARD WITH THE UNIDEN SOFTWARE > ARCHIVE OFFLINE IN BACKUP LOCATION/FOLDER/CLOUD > THIS WILL SAVE YOU IF/WHEN YOU MAKE A MISTAKE
  • NOTE: IF YOU DO SCREW UP, THEN COPY PASTE A NEW “EDITING” COPY FROM THIS BACKUP. DO NOT START REEDITING YOUR BACKUP FILES!!!
  • MAKE A SANDBOX COPY IN A FOLDER OF YOUR CHOOSING > STANDBY FOR THE RABBIT HOLE
  • DOWNLOAD NOTEPAD++ > INSTALL ON YOUR PLATFORM/COMPUTER ( Downloads | Notepad++ )
  • OPEN BCDx36HP > OPEN HPDB > OPEN/ASSOCIATE (hpdb AND s_000000) FILES WITH NOTEPAD++ > CLOSE BOTH WITHIN NOTEPAD++ TAB(S) (INTERNAL TO THE PROGRAM) (DON’T SAVE ANYTHING)
  • REOPEN HPDB > NOTE STATE ID NUMBER > SCROLL DOWN > NOTE COUNTY(S) NUMBERS > CLOSE WITHOUT SAVING
  • TACTICAL PAUSE > DO NOT SAVE OR EDIT ANYTHING YET!!! MUCH OF THE HIDDEN ITEMS IN THIS DATABASE IS DUE TO SEVERAL FACTORS. THE BEARCAT 885 IS MEANT TO SERVE A DRIVER’S AUDIENCE, TRUCKERS, TRAVELERS, ECT. FOLLOWING MY INSTRUCTIONS WILL KEEP WITH THIS SPIRIT OF SAFETY WHILE ALLOWING YOU TO LISTEN IN ON WHAT UNCLE SUGAR IS UP TO. AFTER DIGGING INTO THIS DATABASE FOR SEVERAL HOURS I HAVE DISCOVERED THE FOLLOW METHODS ON HOW UNIDEN RESTRICTS MUCH OF THE HIGHER-LEVEL AGENCY DATA FROM THE COMMON PERSON. (FOR FILE s_000000 NATIONAL LEVEL ONLY)
  • IDs (AGENCY, TRUNK, TGROUP, AND SITE) BE SURE TO KEEP TRACK OF HOW THE HIERARCHIES DRILL DOWN!!! NO NEED TO EDIT, RECOMMEND YOU DON’T!!!
  • TALK BANKS (THE 885 ONLY SCANS THE MAIN FOUR [ 1, 2, 3, & 4 ])!!!
  • 1 = Multi-Dispatch/Government/Public Works / Alternates = 6, 14, 22, 40, 42, 43, 49, & 50 (Perhaps Others)
  • 2 = Law Enforcement / Alternates = 7 & 23 (Perhaps Others)
  • 3 = Fire / Alternates = 8 * 24 (Perhaps Others)
  • 4 = EMS/Medical / Alternates = 9 & 25 (Perhaps Others)
  • DISTANCE RADIUSES i.e., Circle & AUTO OR THE NUMBER DIRECTLY RIGHT OF THE LATITUDE/LONGITUDES (39.635605 -84.931071) XX.0 FORMAT
  • PAY PARTICULATE ATTENTION TO DISTANCES THAT ARE 5 MILES OR LESS! THIS ALONE HELPED ME FIND MANY OBSCURE ITEMS WHICH I CAN STILL NOT TALK ABOUT. THIS DISTANCE RESTRICTION ONLY WOULD ALLOW SOMEONE RIGHT NEXT TO THE FACILITY/BASE/INSTALLATION TO LISTEN ONLY IF THEY HAD BEEN REASSIGNED TO ONE OF THE FOUR (1,2,3,4) TALK BANKS ABOVE!
  • UNDERSTAND MANY OF THESE “OPERATIONS” MAY BE HEADQUARTERED OUT OF A LOCATION… BUT THEY WORK NATIONALLY AND/OR GLOBALLY, THEREFORE IT MIGHT ORIGINATE OUT OF WASHINGTON D.C. BUT IT IS REPEATED OUT IN SOME CORN FIELD! TAKE IT FROM A GUY WHO USED TO GUARD THE STUFF IN REMOTE HANGARS AND BUNKERS!
  • USE LOGIC!
  • IF: THE ASSIGNED TALK BANK IS ABOVE THE FOUR TALK BANKS (AS ASSIGNED IN THE DATABASE)
  • AND/OR: THE DISTANCE (GPS) RADIUS IS > 5 MILES OR LIMITED UNDER THE TRANSMITTER CAPABILITY
  • AND/OR: THE OPERATIONS ARE NATIONAL/GLOBAL (WEIRD LIGHTS IN SKY)
  • THEN: YOU MIGHT WANT TO DIG DEEPER
  • NOTE: I ASSIGN NATIONAL LEVEL PROGRAMS TO A 5000 MILE RADIUS JUST IN CASE I’M IN THE AREA… 😉
  • REOPEN s_000000 (NATIONAL LEVEL DATABASE FILE > LOOK AROUND > TAKE AS LONG AS YOU LIKE > USE THE FIND (Ctrl + F) FUNCTION OF NOTEPAD ++ TO FIND KEY ITEMS OF INTEREST > RUMINATE AND DETERMINE/MAKE A LIST OF YOUR ITEMS. (I WILL PROVIDE A LIST OF MINE FURTHER DOWN OR IN A RESPONSE POST)
  • NOW THAT YOU’VE DETERMINED WHAT YOU WANT TO LOOK FOR, LOOK FOR IT, CHANGE THE DISTANCE, AND SAVE YOUR WORK OFTEN! DO IT METHODICALLY, STEP BY STEP. SAVE!!!
  • BE CAREFUL IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THE FIND AND REPLACE FUNCTION WITHIN THE (Ctrl + F) SEARCH FUNCTION (2nd TAB) (((HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DON’T DO THIS WITH CHANGING THE DISTANCES!!!)))
  • THIS CAN BE USEFUL TO CHANGE “EN MASSE” THE TALK BANKS, BUT BE CAREFUL!!!
  • i.e., I WANT TO CHANGE ALL THE LAW ENFORCEMENT 7’s TO 2’s….
  • SIMPLY CUT N’ PASTE WHAT YOU WANT IN THE FIND BOX (BE SURE TO CHECK THE TWO BUTTONS BOX NEXT TO THE FIND NEXT BUTTON)
  • AND DO THE SAME FOR THE REPLACE BOX > THEN EDIT TO WHAT YOU WANT, OR TYPE IT ALL IN
  • CUT N PASTE:
  • FIND: ALL 7 / REPLACE: ALL 2
  • FIND: ALL 23 / REPLACE: ALL 2
  • NOTE RECOMMEND CUT N’ PASTE DUE TO THE SPACING WITHIN THE DOCUMENT, ESPECIALLY WITH THE “REPLACE ALL FUNCTION”
  • THIS WORK WELL BECAUSE THE “QUALIFIER OF ‘ALL’” ENSURES A SOLID REPLACEMENT
  • THIS WORKS GREAT FOR FILE s_000000 NATIONAL LEVEL AGENCIES
  • HOWEVER, FOR YOUR STATE (Numbered File) YOU’LL NEED TO HAND JAM THE CHANGES. DON’T WORRY… IT BUILDS CHARACTER!!!
  • NEXT, OPEN THE RESPECTIVE STATE(S) FILES (ANY OF THE ONES AFTER FILE s_000000), AND EDIT LOOKING AT THE ABOVE RESTRICTIVE PARAMETERS.
  • EDIT THE COUNTY(S) OF CHOICE
  • REMEMBER TO LOOK FOR AND EDIT THE NATIONAL LEVEL AGENCIES, WHICH OPERATE WITHIN YOUR STATE(S)
  • I AM NOT 100% SURE IF THE EDITS FROM THE s_000000 FILE DRILL DOWN TO AND/OR OVERRIDE THE STATE FILES. (COULD USE SOME EXPERT INPUT ON THIS ISSUE)
Well, that’s pretty much what I have discovered in the first few hours of digging into the software. Seeing that the file structure’s naming convention and the format identifiers of “Target Model BCDx36HP” within the files leads me to here (BCDx36HP Series - The RadioReference Wiki)

This leads me to think perhaps Sentinel Software can edit a few things within the files, however there are many who say it can’t, thus I chose to “Hand Jam” everything. Perhaps, someone smarter than I can figure it out! Regardless, I hope this helps folks who either own or are considering owning the versatile Bearcat 885 Hybrid CB Scanner.

Breaker Wun Nine, this is the Sheepdog, Radio Check, C’Mon…

SOME RECOMMENDED SEARCH TERMS FOR THE NATIONAL LEVEL AND STATE FILES

NOTE: I began to keep track of the SiteId, AgencyId, and TrunkId of certain items of interest in the National File, to make it easier to find things in the State File(s). Remember to Up the Mile Radius for Agencies that operate nationally, globally. 2000, 3000 miles typically works. I use 5000 Miles due to Alaska and traveling the ALCAN Highway.

AFOSI
AGENCY
AIR FORCE (File = s_000000 - Line 69439 / TrunkId=3593)
AIR FORCE ONE
ANDREWS
ARKANSAS AWIN (TrunkId=3918)
ARMY (File = s_000000 - Line 70829 / TrunkId=7614)
ATF
ATTORNEY GENERAL
BASE
BECHTEL
BOEING (File s_000000 - Line 28123 / AgencyId=-7665)
BUNKER
BUREAU
CAPITAL
CAPITOL
CAR TO CAR
CENTER
CID
COG
COMMISSION
COMMON
CONSERVATION
CONTINUITY
COOP
CORRECTIONAL
COUNTER
COVERT
DEA
DEFENSE
DIEBOLD
DISPATCH
DOD (BASE NAMES) (File = s_000000 - AgencyID=-3856)
DOE
DOJ
ENGINEERS
EOC
E-SYSTEMS
EVACUATE
EXECUTIVE
EXPEDITIONARY
FACILITY
FBI
FEDERAL (File = s_000000 - TrunkId=3918)
FEMA
FISH
FORT GORDON
FORT MEADE
FUGITIVE
GAME
GANG
GENERAL DYNAMICS
HOMELAND
HONEYWELL
INCIDENT
INSTALLATION
INTEGRATED WIRELESS NETWORK NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION/SURVEILLANCE (TrunkId=6784)
INTEL
INTRA
IRIDIUM
ITINERANT
JOINT
JOINT NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION (TrunkId=4699)
JUSTICE INTEGRATED WIRELESS NETWORK (File s_000000 Line 34927 / TrunkId=3509)
LOCKHEED
MARINES (File = s_000000 - Line 72111 / TrunkId=8274)
MARSHAL
MCCARRAN
MILITARY
MILITARY POLICE
MISSOURI / MOSWIN (AgencyId=-6847)
MOTORCADE
MOTOROLA FEDERAL SOLUTIONS (CDC AgencyId=-8320)
MULTIJURISDICTIONAL
NAOC
NARCOTIC
NASA
NATIONAL
NAVY
NCIS
NEVADA
NEVADA SHARED RADIO SYSTEM (AgencyId=-706 / TrunkId=706)
NEW MADRID
NGA
NNSA
NORTHRUP
NPS
NSA (File s_000000 Line 72036 / TrunkId=4695)
OFFUT
OPERATIONS
ORGANIZED CRIME
PENTAGON
PRESIDENT
PRISON
PROTECTIVE
PUBLIC
PYRAMID
RAVEN ROCK
RAYTHEON
REGION
RESEARCH
SAFETY
SANDIA
SECRET
SECURITY
SECURITY FORCES
SENEX
SERVICE
SONGBIRD
SPECIAL
STATEWIDE
TACTIC
TACTICAL
TASKFORCE
TOWER
TRAFFICKING
TRAILER
USSS/SECRET SERVICE (File s_000000 Line 20073)
VC-25
WILDLIFE
YANKEE WHITE
i did a search for my hometown, and saw the word "off" (pic attached) next to a few entries.
anyone have any idea what it means?

Attachments

• SOMERSET FREQUENCIES 11282023.png
    SOMERSET FREQUENCIES 11282023.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 6

Ubbe

i did a search for my hometown, and saw the word "off" (pic attached) next to a few entries.
anyone have any idea what it means?
It's the permanent Avoid status. To the left of the location coordinates it is the department Avoid and to the left of each channel frequency it is the channels Avoid.

Temporary Avoids are kept separate in the scanners own memory.

/Ubbe

Trucker700

The 885 only has the ability to do temporary avoids. Once powered off then back on, the avoids memory is cleared. That was one thing that I never understood why Uniden didn't have it work similar to other scanners. Maybe it is a limitation of memory design.
James
WD5GWY

mtmichaud

so according to this, my local pd is shut off permanently?
im aware temporary avoids clear on cycling the power. im wondering of there is a way to enable these channels that have this permanent avoid status

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
so according to this, my local pd is shut off permanently?
im aware temporary avoids clear on cycling the power. im wondering of there is a way to enable these channels that have this permanent avoid status
The 'AVOID' selection is OFF, meaning that the scanner WILL scan it.

mtmichaud

forgive me, im a Noob...
i listen to my local PD with no issues on my programmable, but cant hear anything on the 885 when side by side, this is why i thought the frequency was "off". Now im very curious why i cant receive 482.8500 or 482.7625.
a mystery indeed lol.
I appreciate the reply greatly as this was vague to me before.

Trucker700

Are you receiving anything with your 885? The update program that is designed specifically for the 885 doesn't do anything but,download updates for the services the 885 is designed to receive and write them to the SD card that you put in the radio. If you edit the file it will be overwritten when you update your radio again.
The scanner in the 885 only receives a small portion of what your other scanner receives. If you haven't done so, download the manual for the 885. It has a section that explains what services it will receive without modification of the file specific to the 885.
As mentioned elsewhere, you can edit the file to make the radio scan other services and public service departments. But, again, downloading a new update will require you to edit the file again to get back to where you want it to be.
For myself, I found having a regular scanner and a separate CB to be a better option. ( I still have the 885)
James

mtmichaud

Hi James,
I receive everything on my 885 with the exception of my local pd, that's why I went in to the SD card, and that's when I found the "off" I initially inquired about.
I was local today, and brought my handheld just to verify that the 885 was not picking up my local PD.
Heard it loud and clear on the handheld, but nothing on the 885. I wonder if there is a way to edit the contents of the card and assign the frequency manually?

Trucker700

Sorry for the late reply. At the beginning of this thread there is a detailed explanation on how to edit the file on the SD card. But, before doing that, I would suggest you run the Update software for the 885. It's possible something in the file is different from what is currently on the card. By updating, it should, correct any errors or missing entries.
It is also possible that the frequencies you are hearing on your handheld scanner are not in the categories that the 885 is set to pick up by default.
The instructions at the beginning of this thread are a way to include other categories that the 885 isn't setup for. But, as I mentioned earlier, if you do an update again, you will have to go into the SD card file and edit it each time you do an update.
That is one of the reasons I stopped using my 885 and replaced it with a Uniden SDS100 ( with the external GPS module) and a Cobra 29 CB I had.
I just set the services I wanted to monitor and as I drove around the country, ( long haul truck driver, now retired) the GPS updated location automatically.
The 885 doesn't like Simulcast systems. So, the SDS100 fixed that problem.
And it gave me a lot more to listen to as I traveled around.
Anyway, there could be many reasons why the 885 doesn't hear what your handheld does. It could be as simple as the Squelch set too high and if the signal strength isn't strong enough to overcome it, it won't stop.
Wish I could offer you more ideas.
James
WD5GWY

Ubbe

Now im very curious why i cant receive 482.8500 or 482.7625.
If you go to the HPDB folder in the SD card and open the hpdb.cfg file with Notepad you'll see that MA uses state file 25. Open the s_000025.hpd file with Notepad and search for 4827625 (no dot used) and you'll find the line with that frequency.

The first line above it that starts with C_Group tells you that it belongs to Municipalities - Somerset. If you go above that to the first line that starts with Conventional you can double check that it is Bristol County.

Go to that 4827625 frequency again and at the end of the line are the service type, it says 23 which is Law Talk and a few lines further down are the 4828500 frequency and it says 2 at the end of the line that means Law Dispatch. So those two service types are OK.

At the C_Group line you have the GPS coordinates and after that are the range in miles, which are set to 3.0 which is way too short.
Change that to something more appropriate like 25.0 and save the file.

Now it should scan those frequencies. You can check other frequencies as well in the Bristol section and you will see that most of them have a 2 to 7 miles range set and that probably needs to be increased a lot to make them being scanned.

/Ubbe