Bearcat old scanner

mtnmadman

Premium Subscriber
I once had a Bearcat crystal radio. It was fairly large, dont rember how many channels (10-20)? Dont know the model ##. I keep thinking it may have been a "Electra" . Had a large speaker. Wish I never got rid of it... Just trying to recall the scanner.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I had a Bearcat older than the top one in this picture. Similar, but it had larger round channel lights. I don't think it had the scan/manual switch.
this maybe.....
s-l1600.jpg

garys

Premium Subscriber
Those were great scanners... for their time. Now they are mementoes of simpler times for scanning. I could listen to about half of eastern MA scanner activity with a Bearcat IV.

MStep

All great radios in their day, with one drawback---- if you had crystals from an older non-Bearcat, they would not work because of the IF frequency of the Bearcats--- most other radios used crystals cut for 10.7 IF radios; the Bearcats used crystals cut for 10.8 IF's.

The major crystal manufacturers at the time were happy campers---- companies like BOMAR and others saw a rise in crystal sales. This was the era when you might also buy "crystal cards"--- a postcard type mailer that you would fill out with the information about your radio and the required frequency and several weeks (months???) later you would receive your crystal in the mail.

Oh happy days, NOT!!!

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
Dudley that looks like the one in the Kojack unmarked car he used in the series.
I also had both of those oldies but goodies!

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
I still have the scanner and it works just fine, but there is nothing to listen to. All of the lights work, so you still get the "light show". In 1970 when I bought it, the local county police had just upgraded to the "new" UHF band (460Mhz) from VHF low. They were one of the first in the state of Kentucky to go to the latest and greatest. However, in 1973, they merged with the much larger Lexington Police Department, which was on VHF High, so I went back to my old scanner that could receive both VHF low and high which I was already using to listen to the Lexington Police Department. So, it has been approximately 50 years since the Bearcat II has actually received any transmissions. Now the Lexington Police Department is on a P25 Phase 1 simulcast system and fully encrypted, so back to nothing to listen to for the last 5 years for the local police department.

And yes, when I ordered the scanner and specified the 3 frequencies (crystals) I needed, it took several months to receive the new scanner. I ordered it from a local electronics business, but they didn't have the benefit of checking the status online like we do today.

garys

Premium Subscriber
To be honest most people wouldn't notice it. Just as most people don't notice in movies when someone has a Winchester repeating rifle 20 years before they came into being.

Just geeks notice those things.

Yes they did not think most people would notice the fact that a scanner cant transmit.

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
A lot of the NYPD mobile units in the 70s had black telephone style head sets.
I remember some of the MBTA buses here in the Boston area had them too.