Bearcat old scanner

garys

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about either the T or NYPD, but Boston PD had them well into the 1970s and Boston EMS had them until the mid 1980s. The handsets, not scanners that is.

Boston PD had Motorola Mark 12 full duplex UHF radios until they were replaced by regular Micor radios in the late 19070s/early 1980s.

A lot of the NYPD mobile units in the 70s had black telephone style head sets.
I remember some of the MBTA buses here in the Boston area had them too.

foodie

Premium Subscriber
Saw this display at the Old Lyme (Connecticut) Fire Department today as they celebrate their 100th Anniversary. When I started as a volunteer firefighter in early 1970’s, I had been issue a Plectron and at one point a Viking, similar to the photo, but it was red. And of course I had a Bearcat III. Departments in southeastern CT in those days operated on 33.90, 33.92, 33.94 and 33.96. Simple.
1689453926637.jpeg

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Those old wall powered crystal scanners with large speakers sure sound a lot clearer than the new tech that always seems to have a hiss in the background, and sometimes anemic audio output.

pandel

That Plectron looks oddly like a Motorola I had back around the mid 1970's

MrTommy

Premium Subscriber
I can't remember the brand of scanner I had in the early 70s but it had 10 (I think) lights across the front that I could stick color chips in. There was a CB/HAM/scanner store near me that stocked most of the crystals I needed (Chicago PD). I used to play it through my stereo!

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I can't remember the brand of scanner I had in the early 70s but it had 10 (I think) lights across the front that I could stick color chips in. There was a CB/HAM/scanner store near me that stocked most of the crystals I needed (Chicago PD). I used to play it through my stereo!
Probably Robyn scanners. There were several models. You could change the lenses to several colors to your liking.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
My bc101 is sitting in my basement..maybe I will see if it still works…it did about 2 years ago

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Haven’t got around to trying but will…I have to find the manual since it’s certainly not obvious how to enter a frequency!

Bob1955

Bearcat IV still in pristine condition, sitting in m
this maybe.....
s-l1600.jpg
This uses pin prong wires to change the L/H/U and the Bearcat BC-4 uses slide switches and a metal case, better sensitivity too.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Haven’t got around to trying but will…I have to find the manual since it’s certainly not obvious how to enter a frequency!

Wow, you're not kidding! I tried to upload the manual here for you, and had to compress it 1.96 megabytes or the site would not accept it. So, if you cannot find your book, you should be able to at least use your scanner.

Attachments

• BC 101 Manual Screen Resolution.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited: