Pro-164: Beep after priority channel transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djeplett

So I just recently bought a sick PRO-164 off of eBay and got it back working. I have a PRO-97 now, and I owned one of those in the past, but it's never done what this radio does... This one beeps after a transmission ends on the priority channel when it goes back to regular scanning. I searched the forum here and read Mark's easier to read manual but found no mention of this behavior. My PRO-97 has never done this with the exact same program. Is this an option that can be turned on and off? Anybody else notice this? Is this a feature of the 164 as opposed to the 97?

Just curious as the radio was not scanning because of corrosion on the Lockout key. I cleaned the contacts and made it better but it was still falsely detecting a button push so as a temporary fix I cut a very small piece of electrical tape and covered the contacts for the Lockout key so I could try the radio and it's working great now with the exception of the priority beep. I plan on working the contacts over some more later. I suppose I could try turning key beeps off and see if it goes away.

Also, it's date code 12A09 and firmware 1.07. Is there a firmware upgrade out there? The only one I found was version 1.10 and the readme says it's for datecodes 08A11, 09A11, 10A11, 12A11, and 01A12.

djeplett

So I just tried turning the key beep off and it no longer beeps after the end of a transmission on the priority channel... But I prefer having the beeps on. Anybody else have a 164 they can try this with? It's not annoying, just curious if this is an undocumented bug or feature.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Do you happen to have an LTR or EDACS system programmed? You'll get a beep when all of the "repeater" frequencies are not programmed.

djeplett

I have a couple programmed in banks that are not active. I'll remove those from the program and try it quick.

djeplett

Nope. Still beeps. I wish it would beep at the beginning of the priority channel transmission like an alert. I still have to clean the Lockout key's contacts some more so maybe I'll poke around in it some more. Possibly some stray corrosion is in there somewhere still and causing the unusual behavior. I already reset the scanner so that eliminates that possible remedy.

wtp

just tried it on mine.
it seems to be like when you hit scan, so it is letting you know that it is back to scanning.
yes, it would be great to have it at the beginning.

djeplett

just tried it on mine.
it seems to be like when you hit scan, so it is letting you know that it is back to scanning.
yes, it would be great to have it at the beginning.
Thanks for verifying that yours does it, too. At least I don't have to chase a gremlin anymore, now that I know that's normal. Good to know that if it does bug me all I have to do is turn key beeps off.

djeplett

OK so I worked on the Lockout key's contacts and now it works flawlessly. :cool:

Also, I tried upgrading the firmware to V1.10 and it no longer beeps after a priority transmission. So that "feature" was corrected in this later firmware, apparently. Success!

Status
Not open for further replies.