Belka DX news (if true)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I know I was kinda bothered that the radio didn't cover the 490-530 khz area where NAVTEX can often be found, but now it does- and then some (if true). The price has gone up (altho I'm not sure of the conversion rate) and the speaker kit is separate....

As the article notes, there's no ferrite bar antenna with this radio so you still need a decent MW antenna (and of course one to go down lower if that is your thing)

Mike

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
What is the cost in US Dollars? Been wanting one of these
This week the exchange rate wobbled slightly, but it was $160 give or take a few cents...Alex charges $10 for shipping which includes a tracking number. I just wonder with the mess in the Ukraine and Belarus siding with Russia if ordering right now is possible? There is a third party dealer that gets a markup that you can order from but they show not in stock. Suppose a note to Alex is in order...do let us know what you find out!!!

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Alex did drop me an email that he has the new version ready and available to ship to the US! Like bearcatrp I'm gonna try to order on Monday and see what my bank says...that might be the sticking point!!!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Anyone interested in this little marvel should read the Mersey Radar review, the link is in the above wiki link

A couple of salient points;
  • The use of a small counterpoise improves the performance. This is hardly surprising, really. Evidently if you are just using headphones, that's enough. If you are using a powered speaker, then a small extension cord is helpful. I suspect you could also just wrap a few turns of wire around the base of the antenna to accomplish the same thing
  • There are several powered small speakers that should work with this radio. I'd check Amazon
  • The radio's front end appears to be pretty tough. I've seen comments of people putting rather large antennas on this radio, and it doesn't easily overload
  • AFAIK it hasn't been tried yet, but a YouLoop ought to work pretty well with this radio, as the front end seems to be rather hot. We have links in our wiki for building one on your own, if you're so inclined and have a pretty decent junkbox. If it does, it's very nearly perfect as a travel radio, if you are willing to do without FM broadcast coverage

Mike

bearcatrp

My CC company has not cleared the payment yet. Not sure it will with whats going on in that region. Will post back the outcome when I find out. Anyone who ordered with a CC, did your payment go through?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I see there is a Facebook group for this radio. The link is in the above wiki article. I don't think it's that busy, but it's a likely place to find other users

Mike

13dka

Just wanted to mention that the YouLoop is not a good match for the Belka. The Belka has a high-Z input (>10 kOhm) that obviously causes prohibitive losses with the YL. It will work with a preamp though, or maybe with this suggestion from the Belka manual:

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 15-45-21 Receiver Belka-DX english.cdr - Receiver Belka english.pdf.png

Status
Not open for further replies.