Berkeley County Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

peeta725

Premium Subscriber
Just noticed this new addition to the database - anyone know what this system is? Uses freqs in the 700 range.

TGs seem to be receiving as normal on the 800 towers.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm not sure exactly what the question is here. This is a site on the Palmetto 800 system. I expect that it operates exactly like all other sites. I suspect it carries most/all radio traffic for Berkeley County agencies, along with any state agencies operating in the area (like SCHP), as well as occasional radio traffic from neighboring agencies like Orangeburg County, Williamsburg County, Dorchester County, etc. The fact that it's using 700MHz channels instead of 800MHz channels is not particularly significant as most subscriber radios can support both bands.

I do not believe this is like Charleston County and Beaufort County, where the County runs and manages the system and only allows county agencies to use it (no state agencies). I suspect it's more like Florence and Sumter Counties where the site carries both County and State agencies.

I do wonder if the pre-existing Berkeley County sites (Moncks Corner and Russellville) continue to operate or if either/both were combined with the simulcast site. I haven't see confirmation either way on that question.

peeta725

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure exactly what the question is here. This is a site on the Palmetto 800 system. I expect that it operates exactly like all other sites. I suspect it carries most/all radio traffic for Berkeley County agencies, along with any state agencies operating in the area (like SCHP), as well as occasional radio traffic from neighboring agencies like Orangeburg County, Williamsburg County, Dorchester County, etc. The fact that it's using 700MHz channels instead of 800MHz channels is not particularly significant as most subscriber radios can support both bands.

I do not believe this is like Charleston County and Beaufort County, where the County runs and manages the system and only allows county agencies to use it (no state agencies). I suspect it's more like Florence and Sumter Counties where the site carries both County and State agencies.

I do wonder if the pre-existing Berkeley County sites (Moncks Corner and Russellville) continue to operate or if either/both were combined with the simulcast site. I haven't see confirmation either way on that question.

Thanks for the follow-up Brian. Sorry it wasn't clear.

I think the latter part of your post is what I was getting at. I also don't think this is a county-owned system. I can confirm that the Moncks corner site continues to operate, at least it still receives traffic on all expected TGs on it’s listed freqs.

My question was more trying to find out what the difference is with this system versus the existing 800 towers.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Thanks for your clarification. It seems to make sense that because Berkeley County recently went "all in" with Palmetto 800 for all county emergency services, that a simulcast would be established to ensure county-wide radio coverage. I guess it wouldn't surprise me to see the Moncks Corner site disappear at some point in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.