Best Aircraft Monitoring Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob

@prcguy -- I see by email that you replied but I don't see your message. Re: the antenna, negative. The ferrite beads were literally destroyed in transit.

One more clarification. I normally use Motorola's for VHF reception with a 6dB gain antenna tuned at 160.That gives me adequate performance at 150 for CALFIRE and county VHF as well as USFS from 165 up to 171ish. They don't do AM but kick butt as a commercial radio doing FM and FMN. I also have Vertex that perform equally as well as the CDM750's. I absolutely agree that a commercial rig will outperform a scanner hands down. That's why all of my ham HT's are Motorola and my mobile is a Motorola Astro Spectra P25. I also have a FT-8900 in the mobile for the VFO moments.

krazybob

After extensive testing I have discovered that the best combination for forest fire monitoring is an amateur 2 meter radio. I can hear FM/FM-N from 135-175mHz and AM from 118-135mHz. I have tested it using a West Mountain radio ClearSpeech DSP but haven't really noted a major improvement except when using a scanner (BC780/BC785). They have mediocre sensitivity but not the FT-8900 quad band amateur mobile radio!!! Crystal clear. The TYT TY9800+ is available for about $200 on eBay and if you don't need trunking it is a great scanning ham radio. Helicopters on the left and fixed wing on the right along with all of the NIFC and Forest Service channels. 0.20uV sensitivity sure beats an Icom A120 at 2.0uV!!!

krazybob

I don't want to dedicate a quad band radio to aircraft monitoring. It appears that the current Yaesu's don't RX in the aircraft band. Regardless of manufacturer what ham radios seem to excel on the aircraft band and maybe even MILAIR? As a poor example an Icom A120 commercial aircraft band transceiver is over $700 and only has a a 2uV RX sensitivity while my FT-8900 has a .20uV!!! A huge difference and great audio recovery (how loud the AM is.) Any suggestions?

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
for home usage why not an (old) Professional Radio?
The are 1000x Better and Could handle it perfect.

gewecke

Banned
for home usage why not an (old) Professional Radio?
The are 1000x Better and Could handle it perfect.
Because most commercial radios do not have AM detectors in them, making them useless for aircraft. Nor are they easily tunable. :roll: 73, n9zas

Your_account

Banned
äähhhmmmm? I mean commercial Aircraft Radio Receiver who are used in Aircraft Control Stations.
I got mine from Ebay (to cheap *gg*).

gewecke

Banned
äähhhmmmm? I mean commercial Aircraft Radio Receiver who are used in Aircraft Control Stations.
. Well yeah, I suppose anyone could cobble together an aircraft tranceiver at home, but its not very convenient since they require a different power source. 13.8vdc or 110vac isn't going to cut it, as their usually 24-28 vdc. Its much simpler and convenient to use a good aircraft scanner like we've mentioned already. 73, n9zas

Your_account

Banned
I suppose anyone could cobble together an aircraft tranceiver at home
So for mine I had to plug an Antenna on and an Serial Cable + Audio. That work fine. In theorie the support "Data" to but no with the current Firmware.
but its not very convenient since they require a different power source.
230V so plug it into your Wall.

Your_account

Banned
Can you enter a bunch of different frequencies into your commercial receiver and have it scan like the OP wants to do?
The Band start at ~117mhz? and goes up to 137Mhz. AM 8330khz for example.

gewecke

Banned
So for mine I had to plug an Antenna on and an Serial Cable + Audio. That work fine. In theorie the support "Data" to but no with the current Firmware.230V so plug it into your Wall.
Like I said, NOT convenient. NOT everyone has 220 - 230vac in their shack or even home. :roll: 73, n9zas

Your_account

Banned
NOT everyone has 220 - 230vac in their shack or even home.
lol... good joke.
You cant find any Operator who have not 230V this days.

gewecke

Banned
lol... good joke.
You cant find any Operator who have not 230V this days.
No joke at all, I don't have 220vac nor do I need it! Hell I don't even OWN anything that needs 220vac, so AGAIN no not everyone uses 220 vac in the U.S. 73, n9zas

Your_account

Banned
Where you are at I am sure.
Austria.
Or does the receiver sit on one frequency until you manually enter another frequency?
Yes but you can control them by an Serial Cable!
Why do you want scanning around? I stay at a Freq. for the Day and waiting for traffic.
No joke at all, I don't have 220vac nor do I need it! Hell I don't even OWN anything that needs 220vac
god that the chance here to 230V.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

The latest Icom aviation radio has a desktop power/mount/speaker option. The radio itself runs either 12 or 24 volts. That said, I doubt it has the scanning options asked for, by the OP.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.