Best All Around HT?

ctsrj1

Which MARS branch of service are you looking at? Air Force or Army? Since the Navy MARS units were brought into the Air Force’s MARS wings, I suspect it’s only a matter of time before Air Force MARS and Army MARS are consolidated. I am with Air Force MARS and we do have VHF repeater activities. But as was already mentioned, the majority of operations occur on HF frequencies.
Was considering Air Force. Thank you.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Which MARS branch of service are you looking at? Air Force or Army? Since the Navy MARS units were brought into the Air Force’s MARS wings, I suspect it’s only a matter of time before Air Force MARS and Army MARS are consolidated. I am with Air Force MARS and we do have VHF repeater activities. But as was already mentioned, the majority of operations occur on HF frequencies.

USN/USMC MARS was decommissioned in 2015. Sadly, it no longer exists.

KN6NPZ

I had the 878UVII Plus. The channel selector knob is held to the shaft by a flimsy, molded-in plastic socket that fatigued and cracked within a few months of use. BridgeCom Systems did a terrific job of sending a replacement knob, but toy radio construction isn't something I look for in a $315 device.

I also had the FT-3D: like you, I had to sell my HTs (but I kept my IC-705).

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
My EDC HT radio is an Rfinder B1+ for VHF/UHF RF, DMR over IP, Zello, Echolink, and Broadcastify all one one device. The B1+ is also an Android cell phone so I can make phone calls and have access to the internet via sim card or WiFi. The downside to the B1+ is the software is buggy and it costs an arm and a leg. The B1+ lacks any kind of scanning ability, (that's where Broadcastify comes in handy). I also alternate with a Yaesu VX-6R and a Yaesu FT-5D. The VX6-R is waterproof, has 220 (at 1.5 watts), and includes wideband coverage. The FT-5D is also wideband, includes C4FM digital, as well as GPS and APRS. The FT-5D has dual receivers which is a plus.

N4KVE

What is the definition of the word “best” in the OP? Cheapest radio, most bands, easiest radio to program, largest screen, or loudest receive audio? I’m surprised no one has mentioned the APX8000. To me, that’s the McDaddy.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What is the definition of the word “best” in the OP? Cheapest radio, most bands, easiest radio to program, largest screen, or loudest receive audio? I’m surprised no one has mentioned the APX8000. To me, that’s the McDaddy.

Yeah, or an XL-200P, or an APX-Next, if they really wanted to show off.

I'm personally surprised that more hams haven't discovered Tait multiband radios. TP-9700 DMR multiband would probably make some happy. And there have been plans for a TP-9900 DMR/P25 multiband.

And let us not forget the Kenwood/EFJ VP8000…. DMR, P25 and maybe someday, NXDN.

N4KVE

Yeah, or an XL-200P, or an APX-Next, if they really wanted to show off.

I'm personally surprised that more hams haven't discovered Tait multiband radios. TP-9700 DMR multiband would probably make some happy. And there have been plans for a TP-9900 DMR/P25 multiband.

And let us not forget the Kenwood/EFJ VP8000…. DMR, P25 and maybe someday, NXDN.
I think that’s just due to the ease of access of Moto radios, CPS, & “tools”.

Hit_Factor

I think when operators say MARS/CAP mod they are looking to open up the transmit freq range of the HT. Probably not related to MARS or CAP.

Maybe for GMRS or Marine use?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think when operators say MARS/CAP mod they are looking to open up the transmit freq range of the HT. Probably not related to MARS or CAP.

I've heard from many that CAP uses P25 for a lot of their stuff and modding amateur radios isn't as common a solution as it used to be.

Maybe for GMRS or Marine use?

Often, "I'm cheap and don't want to purchase the correct radio."

Most of us at least bring this issue up so those that are new to the hobby get a bit of knowledge. Many new hobbyists not only lack understanding of the FCC Rules, some have no idea that the rules even exist. They run off what they read on the internet, and assume it is accurate information.
By at giving them accurate information, backed up by links to the FCC rules, they can at least make a somewhat educated decision, even if it is ultimately wrong.

Taking the "no one ever told me" excuse away means that hobbyists are at least trying to educate new users and do some self regulating. That is good for the hobby.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Having attended the Connecticut Nutmeg ARRL Hamfest today and given what I saw and heard, you are 100% correct.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Having attended the Connecticut Nutmeg ARRL Hamfest today and given what I saw and heard, you are 100% correct.

And one of the reasons we are going to a trunked P25 system locally, heavy on the encryption. Too many people who "just want to help" and think a $14 CCR is the correct way to do that.

The "Best All Around HT" should do what the user needs, but also meet the appropriate requirements from the FCC. It's really not that hard to do, but does take a little bit of additional effort.