Best all around VHF-High hand held scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I am looking for the best scanner/receiver for VHF-High band.

I like the looks/features of the BR330T. The Icom R5, Yaesu VR120D etc. type receivers also look tempting for the price (used). I want it mostly for VHF-High and will likely buy a used one to save a little $$. I have a BCD396T for my trunking and digital. Also a 2051 and 2052 for my vehicle and base units. And a Sangean ATS-909 for more serious SW and MW.

I do want the Hand Held to cover the HF band (not that I will hear much there). But I am looking for superb performance on VHF-High if there is such a thing.

I want it to take to work with me. When I am at work the BCD396T struggles to receive the VHF-High band and that is my primary listening where I am.

Any suggestions, either listed here or not?

Thank you.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I have had very good reception with a PRO-93. They appear to be selling used for around $125.00. Just about everything but air and marine has switched to trunking in my area so my 93 gets little use. PM me if you might be interested and I can give you the details.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
trap5858 said:
I have had very good reception with a PRO-93. They appear to be selling used for around $125.00.

What moron would pay $125 for that? You can get a 95 new for $100 (1000ch version) and the 97 is only at $150. I paid a lot less than $125 a year ago for my 93.

Anyway, the GRE built units usually have good VHF Hi rx. If I hook one up to an external antenna, I usually have to turn the attenuator on.

If you only wanted VHF, you could always use a ham radio. My icom T2H is a lot better than any of my scanners.

buttsrob

safetyobc said:
I am looking for the best scanner/receiver for VHF-High band.

I do want the Hand Held to cover the HF band (not that I will hear much there). But I am looking for superb performance on VHF-High if there is such a thing.

Thank you.

If you don't want to buy an additional scanner you might try a different antenna for your BCD396T. There are lots of antennas out there that perfrom better on VHF than the stock antenna.

If you're like me, you want to listen to trunked systems on your 396T and VHF on a differnt scanner....for lots of reasons....but mostly because you don't want to miss trunked traffic while the scanner is stopped on a conventional system.

In that case, I'd recommend the Radio Shack scanners. I'm a big fan of the PRO-83. It's no BCD396T but..... 1. It works great on VHF High and in the 440 MHz range of UHF. 2. It has "Signal Stalker" (same as "Close Call") which I think works slightly better than CC on my 396T. 3. It's CHEAP (under $100).

How far into "HF" do you want to go? The PRO-83 and most other scanners will only go to 25MHz.

For handheld monitoring HF I've had good luck with the Alinco DX-X3. It's not too bad as a scanner either (though they call it a "Wideband Receiver")... .1 MHz to to 1.2 GHz (Cell blocked on US version).

Mine also receives very well on VHF High.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.