Best coax feedline for Ed Fong vertical Dipole 2m-70cm. I will be running about 80 feet

K4MKF

Best low loss coax feedline for an ED Fong vertical dipole 2m-70cm. I will be running about 80 feet.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@K4MKF - 100’ of LMR-240 will lose 70% signal on both TX and RX. 80’ of LMR-400 has 40% loss. An antenna with “gain“ will help to make up for losses. I encourage you to compare that Ed Fong antenna to any other amateur dual band antenna, like a Diamond X50 or better.

Also remember when you are reviewing gain numbers that 2.15 dBi = 0 dBd. Thus, 5.15 dBi = 3 dBd. If the antenna mfg. uses (dB) they are probably referring to dBi in order to show a higher gain number...if you trust their numbers.

Last edited:

Ubbe

Best low loss coax feedline for an ED Fong vertical dipole 2m-70cm. I will be running about 80 feet.
I'm trying to find any dipoles by him but only see j-poles. But anyhow both antenna types are balanced antennas and coax are unbalanced so be sure that you use a balun or the whole coax will work as an antenna.

/Ubbe

Blackswan73

His antennas are made by students. They are based on a J pole design and have built in matching stubs. He has two basic models, but they are basically the same. Just the permanent ones are designed to be put in a PVC pipe, 3:4” if I remember correctly

B.S.