Best Coax for scanner antenna?

Avix

Premium Subscriber
Gol Darn it! I'm learning things again. Towards the back it is. I wonder how high a pole I can paint forest green to blend in with the trees. I have thought about putting it up on top of my flag pole, but the house ground is on the other side and other end. That idea is done. Does a metal plate for ground plane have any positive effect if the antenna is say 20' up?

Avix

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Gol Darn it! I'm learning things again. Towards the back it is. I wonder how high a pole I can paint forest green to blend in with the trees. I have thought about putting it up on top of my flag pole, but the house ground is on the other side and other end. That idea is done. Does a metal plate for ground plane have any positive effect if the antenna is say 20' up?

Avix

A ground plane will not replace a lightning ground. Even with a ground plane, you still need to properly ground the mast/coax where it enters the home.

Depending on the type of antenna you are going to use, you may need to add a ground plane directly under the antenna, or it may not require one (as in most base antennas).

Avix

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I know a ground plane won't deal with that. I'm just trying to figure out the optimal location and type of antenna I can squeeze out of the budget. The berm at the back is between us and downtown, and I suspect the new dispatch center is in line of one of the surrounding berms. Things will work themselves out. I picked up a 50' to replace the rubber duck, and it has made a pretty good improvement of calls quality.

Avix

KC3ECJ

Quad shield will have zero benefit if used in a scanner antenna. It’s intended for tight bundles of cable in the 950-2050MHz range in satellite installs where you can get some crosstalk. It doesn’t have any less loss or other useful parameters for scanner use compared to single shield.
I scan in that frequency range.

Avix

Premium Subscriber
if you really have your pic of coax go the best of the best LMR600 or 900 ....
Most of what he had was the RG6 (?). It's been pushed back a bit. I had to put in 2 Pan and Tilt security cameras to cover my wife in her gardens in case she falls again. So that's where we're at. This 50 inch collapsing antenna has brought in a lot more signals more quickly.

Avix/

scottyhetzel

Yup.

I'd put it near the meter/ground. That'll make life easier.
Be extremely careful driving a 8 foot ground rod... if the house has underground feeds instead of arial.. you can be in a world of hurt driving a rod into a schedule 40 conduit. Or you could hit another type utility line. NEC allows CATV and Telco to use the common house ground. McKenna I am a licensed electrician... maybe your local jurisdiction requires a new rod. Most electricians don't even have a impedance meter to read correct grounds. Bad grounds can cause all sorts of problems.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Be extremely careful driving a 8 foot ground rod... if the house has underground feeds instead of arial.. you can be in a world of hurt driving a rod into a schedule 40 conduit. Or you could hit another type utility line. NEC allows CATV and Telco to use the common house ground. McKenna I am a licensed electrician... maybe your local jurisdiction requires a new rod. Most electricians don't even have a impedance meter to read correct grounds. Bad grounds can cause all sorts of problems.

You are correct.

However, I wasn't telling him to drive a new ground rod. I was telling him that putting the antenna closer to the existing ground rod would be easier since he could simply connect to the existing.

Sorry I didn't make that clear.