Best GPS based scanner?

Takoateli

I work as a service technician and am dispatched to multiple locations each day. I'd like to have a scanner in the truck (I'm a ham radio operator so it's legal).

I'd need a scanner that I can tell I want to hear police and fire and have it switch to the appropriate frequencies as I move about.

It looks like the Uniden SDS 100 or SDS 200 would be a good choice. I'd need a GPS receiver to go with it.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

marksmith

Either of those would be good choices.

For readability while driving I would suggest the 200 over the 100. I have both.

I have gps scanners in both my personal vehicles. I prefer the Home Patrol 2, which has all the same features as the sds radios except simulcast capability. And I can still monitor some simulcast, it's just not the best solution for that.

With a cup holder mount it is very readable. And it tracks all serve types with a similar setup. Allowing you to set a zero miles scanning range, and then pick up each system as they overlap areas you drive through at their systems range.

Both sds and hp2 allow you to hold on a system, department, or talkgroup, useful while driving.

The sds and hp2 features and capabilities are nearly identical and use a nearly identical software application. Just a different version of it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nope the HP2 and SDS have different capabilities; for example the SDS can handle DMR MOTOTRBO, NXDN and ProVoice, the HP2 can't. If you are in a simulcast area, the HP2 may be an iffy choice (it might work in such an area, it might not), the SDS will almost certainly. That fact alone might be enough, as simulcast issues can cause a lot of headaches.

Yes the versions of Sentinel are different, be sure to select the right one for the right radio.

Mike

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I'd need a scanner that I can tell I want to hear police and fire and have it switch to the appropriate frequencies as I move about.
Any suggestions or recommendations?
Welcome to the RR forums. Please reply back with your location so we can get eyes on the database to make an informed recommendation for you & to identify potential pitfalls which may hinder your scanning efforts: encryption, simulcast distortion, etc.