Best inexpensive radio scanner for a total n00b?

maysobano

I apologize if this is the wrong subject, wasn't quite sure where to go. I'm interested in purchasing radio scanner that can tune in to short wave stations as well as cool stuff like ATC... basically I want something that can listen to a very wide range of frequencies- does such a thing exist, how much should I expect to pay for an entry level radio scanner? Thank you in advance for your help!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. Consider the RTL SDR. It's really the cheapest option that does what you're looking to do. Drawback is you'll need a PC and software to operate it. If you're looking for something handheld you'll need to spend a bit more, at least a few hundred USD. A wideband communications along the lines of an the Icom IC-R20 should suit your needs. Check the classifieds section periodically, they'll be offered by members here for reasonable prices

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Beyond the above suggestion, inexpensive and scanner don't go together well. A used one is worth looking for help the budget. I had an IC-R30 and it was an excellent radio, but be aware it is more of a scanning shortwave radio than a true scanner. It did not do trunking or Phase 2 P25, and no Icom radio will do DMR.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'm interested in purchasing radio scanner that can tune in to short wave stations as well as cool stuff like ATC..
Welcome to RR!
Since you are new to this, I'll try to not get very technical in this post, but feel free to ask a follow up question if you need more detailed information.

You aren't going to find "short wave" frequencies on a scanner. Short wave frequencies are roughly those frequencies from just above the AM broadcast band through about 30 MHz. Receiving these frequencies with any degree of efficiency requires a fairly long antenna.

Most modern scanners cover a frequency range from about 26 MHz (the bottom of the citizens band) to about 900 MHz. Civilian ATC frequencies are about 108 - 136 MHz (AM mode). Most of the other frequencies within this range are either some version of FM or digital. More and more users, especially public safety users, are moving from analog FM to digital, much of which is encrypted and can't be monitored.

That said, and based on your original information, I'd recommend the Uniden BC-125AT. ( BC125AT 500 Channel Handheld Analog Scanner) I have one, as do many users here. It is analog FM and AM only and covers from CB through 512 MHz, so it will receive both civilian and military ATC. It will do various types of frequency searches, and can be programmed either vial the keypad or with computer software (which is a lot easier).

You didn't share where you are, and that may have a significant influence on our recommendations.

N8IAA

I apologize if this is the wrong subject, wasn't quite sure where to go. I'm interested in purchasing radio scanner that can tune in to short wave stations as well as cool stuff like ATC... basically I want something that can listen to a very wide range of frequencies- does such a thing exist, how much should I expect to pay for an entry level radio scanner? Thank you in advance for your help!
You're not looking for a scanner. Instead a communications receiver would be what you want.
Scanners, per se, do not do SW.
There are a lot of older receivers that can be found to fit what you need. Think anywhere between $200-$400.
HTH

Kingscup

Feed Provider
A software defined radio will do what you want at a more inexpensive price point. I always like to show this video as it is an entry level video for the newbie.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
With Software Defined Radio, you're going to be best served by mounting antennas outside your house for HF (shortwave, 1800 kHz to 30 MHz) and optionally, scanner frequencies of 30 to 1300 MHz. I use the SDRplay RSP2 with two antenna connections that can be connected to both types of antennas. Be aware that with an SDR, replicating the operation of a typical scanner can require a second SDR and additional software to trunk track and scan multiple frequencies. You'll also need software to operate the SDR, although mostly all programs are free.

p1879

You could give some of the on-line SDR radios a try to see if you like the platform. There are many listed on the web that you can tune around on.

You would need a computer and an internet connection.

The hf ones that use low noise-antennas,like the Wellbrook Loop, may be more pleasant for some types of listening.