Best Portable For Shortwave?

ditto1958

Although I am new to this, I can see that I will soon get the itch for another radio. Which currently available portables are the best for shortwave reception?

Blackswan73

Belka, bar none. Fits in a shirt pocket and is on par with most larger radios, including desktops. Amazing little radio. Read the reviews. It’s everything that the reviews say it is. Takes a bit of patience to get one, but it is worth it. If you want something more conventional, The Tecsun 501/x will merit serious consideration

B.S.

TAC4

Another vote for the Sangean ATS-909X2

-great build quality, has a Sony ICF look to it
-takes a 100' wire with no problem without overloading
most portables can't do this
-does not have mute tuning, mute tuning is so annoying, most
DSP portable radios have mute tuning
-super sensitive on AM shortwave
-air band is a bonus
-extensive station presets menu
-nice AM band width filtering
-has RF gain control
-great tumb tuning dial that is lightening fast and a joy
to use up and down the band when DXing for long hours

Attachments

• 91tEdSirq1L._AC_SX425_.jpg
    91tEdSirq1L._AC_SX425_.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

KD9KSO

The filters could be narrower for SSB, and you don't have a choice as with regular AM.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna jump in and second the Belka. for all the reasons listed above, as well it just is so handy and portable due to its size. Don't both with the onboard speaker, add on or built in, go with good earbuds or a good external speaker if you desire.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The Tecsun H501X is also very good, but like all Tecsuns that have come after the PL660, the Sync Detector just plain sucks. Do yourself a favor and Google the numerous reviews. Then make the judgement for yourself

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Belka, bar none. Fits in a shirt pocket and is on par with most larger radios, including desktops. Amazing little radio. Read the reviews. It’s everything that the reviews say it is. Takes a bit of patience to get one, but it is worth it. If you want something more conventional, The Tecsun 501/x will merit serious consideration

B.S.
However the Belka doesn't cover FM broadcast. If that's not an issue than this is a great choice. Again read the reviews on this little wonder, some of which are linked in our wiki, viz.

Mike

ditto1958

The Belka seems hard to find. I guess no FM would be ok if it’s good enough at getting SW signals.

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
The Belka seems like a hard to beat option and it has a great price - too bad this is on their home page right now or I would order one!

"! INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE !

Token

However the Belka doesn't cover FM broadcast. If that's not an issue than this is a great choice. Again read the reviews on this little wonder, some of which are linked in our wiki, viz.

It also does not do the majority of the MW AM BCB. It was apparently designed for 3 - 30 MHz, and goes only slightly below and above those numbers (1.5 - 31 MHz?).

I have been wanting to get one to mess around with, but so far no joy.

T!

rf_patriot200

The CC Skywaves do look nice. Lots of models and some are expensive. They generally get good reviews.
Yeah, I used to take mine to work at night since it had all the features I wanted and it was small enough to fit in my backpack. The Skywave ssb is the model I have, which comes with earbuds, a leatherette caase and a little 23' windup antenna.

Blackswan73

The major problem with the TEF6686 based radios is the chip was designed for car stereos and doesn’t have ssb or cw capability. It only has am/fm modes.

B.S.

ditto1958