Best Portable For Shortwave?

K0WWX

The Qodesen looks like a fine product, but to me SSB is a requirement. Never got around to buying a Belka, mostly because I have so many other radios, but I've heard or read anything bad about it. Hopefully, it will become available again soon. It would also be nice to see a Malihite type radio with a more stable design that was supported by a major vendor.

The Tecsun PL-330 is a good value for the price, IMO. It hears most everything a PL-990X will hear, even with its small telescopic antenna. Build quality and audio is much better on the 990X, though.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I think i would go for the PL-990x. I like that it's powered by a 18650 lithium battery and it has USB charging.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
PL-880 (best value)
Xiegu X6100 (can be found used for $300-ish)
+ plus it has built-in tuner
+ exc form factor for SWL
ICOM 705 (if money is no concern)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The Belka seems like a hard to beat option and it has a great price - too bad this is on their home page right now or I would order one!

"! INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE !

What site are you going to that you see this?

John_S

Premium Subscriber
I've been enjoying the Malachite DSP SDR V5. The display with waterfall is quite good. Filter selection and adjustability is excellent. Speaker audio is not bad for it's size. I use about 25' of wire and an alligator clip tied to the telescoping antenna or the Kiwa Pocket Loop. Yes, there are a few little things I hope they address in future FW. I wish the Mode and tuning step size last used in each band selection would remain when used again. And a real manual would be very useful, as there's a lot of stuff in the menus that could use some explanation. One of these with a short wire antenna and one of those 5v battery banks can get you a lot of good reception.