Best Portable Radio for Backpacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ems55

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for the lightest weight, VHF/UHF portable radio that exists on the market that would be applicable to backpacking-strong, tough, lightweight, durable. A fully opened TX range would nice for GMRS, and other applicable services based on need and licenser.
Are you a ham and/or have a GMRS license ??

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
No single radio meets all of those criteria for obvious reasons. Any that do is more than likely a CCR and would make a better paper weight than radio. Even if you find one, there are many places where a 5 watt ht is out of range, and those that claim 10 watts or more are questionable at best. A portable satellite phone might fill your needs.

cmjonesinc

If you're really concerned about communication for life safety just get a PLB. If you're wanting a well built radio to carry while backpacking get a Ft60r and clip that resistor. I'm sure the self appointed type acceptance radio police will chime in....

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If you need permission to report illegal use of radio frequencies, look at this document. The first paragraph sums it up well.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
If you need permission to report illegal use of radio frequencies, look at this document. The first paragraph sums it up well.
The way this reads is questionable in it’s application to part codes… So as far as acceptable TRANSMISSIONS from the receiving operator’s end I completely agree. The message should be decodable and open. The sender needs to be licensed and use proper radio etiquette. None of that has anything to do with the equipment making the transmission.

I do believe in self policing. If amateurs notice encrypted messages, music transmission, foul language, unlicensed operators etc., those issues need to be reported. However, you can break a lot of rules as a ham with only amateur radio equipment… part of the hobby is obeying the rules so far as bands, bandwidth, power, mode, etc. As long as all of those rules are followed, it shouldn’t matter to a receiving operator what equipment is used, provided that the equipment is designed (note that I did NOT say ‘certified’) to operate on those frequencies, bandwidths, and with power limitations acceptable for a particular service.

Part codes are not well enforced by the FCC and that’s not a ham’s responsibility imo. I mean, should I report everyone using a beofeng or other cheap Amazon purchase for spurious emissions? I agree that it’s technically not correct to use any single device for amateur, gmrs, murs, frs, and lmr, but I do not see that as part of the scope nor the spirit of your link. Part codes are designed to protect people who don’t know what they are doing from their own ignorance, for the benefit of the general public. However, it’s silly to think that a licensed amateur operator needs to use a different radio for gmrs without switchable bandwidth, and also carry a third murs radio that’s not FPP… I know that’s technically the way the law reads, but as long as all requirements of that service are met in regards to power, bandwidth, frequency, and mode, and without spurious emissions, I don’t see who’s business it is what transmitter I’m operating except the FCC’s and they have shown by their own actions that they don’t care much about enforcing that part of the code… I certainly don’t!

All this to say that I’m also not going to recommend that users operate any single device on all of the above named services, because as a beginner, you may not be aware of what I’d call ‘secondary requirements’ like acceptable bandwidth or power, but if you study the hobby, hone your skills and gain knowledge such that you can properly operate a device on a particular radio service and meet all transmission criteria, who really cares, and who SHOULD care?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Anyways, I have held one of those Alinco radios and it is small and light.

My favorite for small and light is a Yaesu VX-3R. As to tough and durable in the same radio is moot. I have one, but unsure about the mod. Perhaps the newish Yaesu 65R would be close to the OP’s request. I think the mod is a key press, but unsure. I like my stuff stock.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am looking for the lightest weight, VHF/UHF portable radio that exists on the market that would be applicable to backpacking-strong, tough, lightweight, durable. A fully opened TX range would nice for GMRS, and other applicable services based on need and licenser.

The folks above seemed to miss your location.

Canada has different rules than the USA, so what applies down here isn't necessarily what applies up there. You may have to focus your search a little bit tighter to get accurate info, if you want to stay within the rules.

GMRS in Canada is a bit different than the USA. In Canada, no license is required, but you are limited to 2 watts. That pretty much gives you legal options of using the consumer grade GMRS radios.
Pretty much any of the name brand stuff will work just fine for what you are doing. Get one that will take AA alkaline batteries. That'll prevent the issues with not being able to recharge if you are away from power sources.
Some of the limitations of 2 watts can be overcome by user training. Keep the antenna vertical, speak clearly, and practice.

Getting your amateur radio license opens up a lot more legal options. A good dual band VHF/UHF ham radio will let you access repeaters.

If emergency communications is your goal, the PLB's, specifically the Garmin InReach products, are your best bet. Those will virtually guarantee you'll get help in an emergency without relying on some random user to be listening and willing to help.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Get one that will take AA alkaline batteries. That'll prevent the issues with not being able to recharge if you are away from power sources.
True, but... The quality of even name-brand AA alkaline batteries seems to vary quite a bit. One must be absolutely diligent about not leaving alkaline batteries in equipment for long periods of time without use. A discussion of experiences with different brands may be off topic for this thread. Just be warned to remove batteries when you put equipment away.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
BMdaug, I was referring to the "radio police" comment in cmjonesinc comment that there is legal precedence and not just a bunch of cry babies who have to get their opinion published.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
BMdaug, I was referring to the "radio police" comment in cmjonesinc comment that there is legal precedence and not just a bunch of cry babies who have to get their opinion published.
I agree that there is legal precedence, however I’m just not familiar with Canadian regulations and type acceptance isn’t the spirit of self-policing imo so hopefully the crybabies will stay away! But you’re right! It is very important to understand the laws in your jurisdiction so you know where you stand!

@Rlahey There are many land mobiles that can cover all of the services in question. If you don’t want to go Alkaline (they are heavy, of questionable reliability, don’t last as long, and create waste), look for something LIKE a Yaesu FT3DR (just an example, doesn’t have the coverage you want) that that can accept a direct connection to a charger or find a LMR with a battery eliminator (an accessory which adapts an HT for long term use in a vehicle) which allows an external power source to be connected. This could be a small and light LiFePO4 battery that would far outlast the internal battery and could be charged via solar or a biolite stove.

A LMR would be best if you’re not comfortable making modifications, as most amateur radios are band limited without user modification. Look into APRS too! It’s helpful in the back country if there is a digipeater and/or igate in your area. You can send and receive messages and loved ones (and search and rescue if needed) can see your location. The best solution might just be two small radios. One dual band ham with APRS, and one gmrs. You’ll have redundancy in case one device becomes unusable, you’ll meet all applicable regulations, and you want have to modify anything. This all assumes you’re a radio enthusiast… if you just want emcomm in the back country, the lightest solution is a garmin inreach or similar.

Rlahey

The way this reads is questionable in it’s application to part codes… So as far as acceptable TRANSMISSIONS from the receiving operator’s end I completely agree. The message should be decodable and open. The sender needs to be licensed and use proper radio etiquette. None of that has anything to do with the equipment making the transmission.

I do believe in self policing. If amateurs notice encrypted messages, music transmission, foul language, unlicensed operators etc., those issues need to be reported. However, you can break a lot of rules as a ham with only amateur radio equipment… part of the hobby is obeying the rules so far as bands, bandwidth, power, mode, etc. As long as all of those rules are followed, it shouldn’t matter to a receiving operator what equipment is used, provided that the equipment is designed (note that I did NOT say ‘certified’) to operate on those frequencies, bandwidths, and with power limitations acceptable for a particular service.

Part codes are not well enforced by the FCC and that’s not a ham’s responsibility imo. I mean, should I report everyone using a beofeng or other cheap Amazon purchase for spurious emissions? I agree that it’s technically not correct to use any single device for amateur, gmrs, murs, frs, and lmr, but I do not see that as part of the scope nor the spirit of your link. Part codes are designed to protect people who don’t know what they are doing from their own ignorance, for the benefit of the general public. However, it’s silly to think that a licensed amateur operator needs to use a different radio for gmrs without switchable bandwidth, and also carry a third murs radio that’s not FPP… I know that’s technically the way the law reads, but as long as all requirements of that service are met in regards to power, bandwidth, frequency, and mode, and without spurious emissions, I don’t see who’s business it is what transmitter I’m operating except the FCC’s and they have shown by their own actions that they don’t care much about enforcing that part of the code… I certainly don’t!

All this to say that I’m also not going to recommend that users operate any single device on all of the above named services, because as a beginner, you may not be aware of what I’d call ‘secondary requirements’ like acceptable bandwidth or power, but if you study the hobby, hone your skills and gain knowledge such that you can properly operate a device on a particular radio service and meet all transmission criteria, who really cares, and who SHOULD care?
Everything you said above sums up my thoughts completely. Very few, if any, would carry separate radios for GMRS, HAM, MURS, commerical, etc.

On a side note, I do feel that the self policing in this community are what have made the hobby what it is. Most everyone on the bands are respectful, and operate in their lane and with due regard. The same cannot be said about FRS, some GMRS, and CB. While I believe that the FCC most likely either wont care, or have the time or people to enforce most violations, its the culture and the "fear" of the FCC raining down. What I really enjoy is the ham culture. Most hams behave in a just manor because that's what is expected of them.

Rlahey

The folks above seemed to miss your location.

Canada has different rules than the USA, so what applies down here isn't necessarily what applies up there. You may have to focus your search a little bit tighter to get accurate info, if you want to stay within the rules.

GMRS in Canada is a bit different than the USA. In Canada, no license is required, but you are limited to 2 watts. That pretty much gives you legal options of using the consumer grade GMRS radios.
Pretty much any of the name brand stuff will work just fine for what you are doing. Get one that will take AA alkaline batteries. That'll prevent the issues with not being able to recharge if you are away from power sources.
Some of the limitations of 2 watts can be overcome by user training. Keep the antenna vertical, speak clearly, and practice.

Getting your amateur radio license opens up a lot more legal options. A good dual band VHF/UHF ham radio will let you access repeaters.

If emergency communications is your goal, the PLB's, specifically the Garmin InReach products, are your best bet. Those will virtually guarantee you'll get help in an emergency without relying on some random user to be listening and willing to help.
I should have added that to my original post. I plan on finally investing in an Garmin inreach, the radio would be an adjunct, "Plan for the worst, expect the worst". I had one of the original SPOT units when they came out... with all units the monthly charges get annoying.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I should have added that to my original post. I plan on finally investing in an Garmin inreach, the radio would be an adjunct, "Plan for the worst, expect the worst". I had one of the original SPOT units when they came out... with all units the monthly charges get annoying.

I get it. I think I pay $11/month for mine, but the peace of mind it gives me, and the periodic checkin's with the wife make that a pretty good deal.

So, question…. Who is it you plan on talking to? Is it specific people that will have radios set up similar to yours, will this be for random contacts while on the trail, or are you expecting a radio to reach help in an emergency?

There's a lot of the Cheap Chinese Radios that would technically do what you want, but if this is for emergency use, I'd not put any trust in a $20 radio.

Golay

Premium Subscriber
My advice, take a look at the Beofeng GT-3. A small little radio you can stick in any backpack pocket. It's basically a rubberized version of the UV-5R. I've been bouncing mine around for about 3 years now. To me, it's just as tough as my moto handhelds as far as getting dropped and keep working. Like the UV-5R, it transmits and receives on 2 meters, 440, MURS, GMRS, FRS and anything between.

And buy a tape measure antenna. Run around with the stock antenna. But if you have a range issue, get out the tape measure. There are many made by many people. Here's an example of one:

Last edited:

BMDaug

I am licensed…
So check out the attached ARRL table on spurious emissions… Beofeng leading the way with Wouxun in second. Wouxun has improved, however, the number of sampled units also decreased year by year, probably due to their usership being lost to Beofeng. So if you’re a Beofeng or Wouxun user, your station may not be in compliance. At least not here in the United States. More stations are non compliant due to cheap radios than due to lack of type acceptance…

I’d go with a reputable LMR from Harris, Moto, iCom, or Kenwood and never look back! It’ll cover the bands you want and then some and they are tough as nails. Monitoring trunked networks is a fun bonus too.

-B

Attachments

• 36780C9D-A86C-46CF-A36A-C500951F0ADF.jpeg
    36780C9D-A86C-46CF-A36A-C500951F0ADF.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.