Best receivers under $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosborn

Howdy,

Forgive me if this subject has been asked before. I have been asking questions about the Grundig Satellit 750 in the receiver reviews portion of this forum. Perhaps I have been "attacking" my interests/questions from the wrong perspective. Perhaps I should be asking what the best radio for less than $300 is. $300 is my sweet spot. I am interested in a radio, a solid quality radio, that provides very good AM/FM/SW reception - mostly AM/FM. On other occasions I have been referred to net based radios (I think that's what they're called) but I'm not interested in those. As I wrote in the receiver review portion of the forum, I want a desktop style radio (larger profile) that I can listen to at my desk, on my deck or on a camping trip. In short, I want a multi-purpose radio but one that is more apt to a desktop setting, What can I get for $300 or less?

For what it's worth, I have a Radio Shack DX398 receiver that I use at work. It does a decent job of picking up the stations I regularly listen to but I'm looking for something with better reception. Of course, I anticipate purchasing the necessary accessories to help whatever radio I purchase achieve the best possible performance.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

safetyobc

Look at reviews of the Kaito KA1103 (Degen DE1103). It is a great little radio. Costs about $60 to $80 depending on where you get it. Very sensitive.

But for more of the desktop setting you are looking for, have you thought about a used Icom R71 or similar?

rosborn

safetyobc,

Thank you for the suggestions. To be honest, I was thinking more like something right between those two radios. I already have a real portable Radio Shack DX398, like the Sangean 909, that I use in my cubicle at work. That's why I'm looking for something a little more permanent in a desktop/table top radio. I like the Icom R71, a lot, but have no idea how I would even go about buying a used one.

Rob

nanZor

Don't overlook the approx $100 Grundig S450DLX reviewed here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...views/230831-grundig-s450dlx-field-radio.html

I think it is a great alternative to the S350 if you don't need airband and SSB, and just need a decent AM/FM/SW radio in tabletop format. Well, it is taller than it is deep.

Unfortunately like most things made these days, they are not of the manufacturing quality of the Grundigs of the past, but at this price point it works well for what it is. From an audio standpoint, the 750 has deeper bass, but unless you need thumping bass, the 450dlx is worth looking into.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc,

Thank you for the suggestions. To be honest, I was thinking more like something right between those two radios. I already have a real portable Radio Shack DX398, like the Sangean 909, that I use in my cubicle at work. That's why I'm looking for something a little more permanent in a desktop/table top radio. I like the Icom R71, a lot, but have no idea how I would even go about buying a used one.

Rob

Well, Ebay is your best source of buying an R71a, and they are found there all the time. Of course, there's a risk of getting a dead or defective one, just due to age alone, but I've had six of them from Ebay, and all were ok, even the "dead" one (A simple power supply issue), as is the one I have now, in really nice shape. I did one of the mods to improve the audio quality, and have added a Willco ram board to replace the original battery which was like 27 years old, and to avoid future issues if it fails. I just hope I don't have to sell it, as I want to keep this one, just a couple of resistors changed out made a huge difference with AM, it actually sounds good now! If you want a warranty, look at the universal radio website and buy an R71a from them, the price will be higher, but there won't be many worries about it dying a day after you get it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.