• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

AM or FM MODULATION BETTER FOR OFF-ROAD TRAIL COMMS

slowmover

IMG_5008.jpeg

D-Day Paratrooper Vest.
Considered too hot.
(Reproduction)

Below was an idea to use with PRESIDENT Randy to go walkabout from vehicle with several antennas, spare battery, etc., while using VOX.

IMG_1010.jpeg

slowmover

Wow, now that’s a cool little radio! I might need to look into one of those.
The new BARRY II just released.

I’d use a HARRISON + KL203 if SSB not desired.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
There are a few holes with the antenna review by nokones. (1) when his wife stated that the K30 sounded better, the husband stated that the performance was exactly the same. (2) Lack of other stations. I am in California and if I can find s single channel of the 40 available without other users stepping on all of the signals, I'd go right away and play the lottery. Listening to the audio provided by nokones, I didn't hear any other stations stepping on the test. While not legal, linier amplifiers, reak havok on CB. power mikes turned up to max (throw in effects such as echo and beeps) all add to the rule of "louder is better and further" which is typical for AM CB. (3) db gain of the two antennas? (4) Coax cable specs.

While i like the fact that nokones took the time to do a test, it was, in my opinion inaccurate for the couple of reasons i listed above. CB radio by it's technology and FCC limitations is and always will be a line-of-sight radio, much like FRS, non-repeated GMRS, non-repeated MURS etc.

More CB users need to step up and get their HAM Tech license. The test isn't that tough and opens a wide world of long distance communications (repeaters, clubs and events) without the bucket mouth users on CB (as CB was back in the 50's and 60's)

nokones

Premium Subscriber
There are a few holes with the antenna review by nokones. (1) when his wife stated that the K30 sounded better, the husband stated that the performance was exactly the same. (2) Lack of other stations. I am in California and if I can find s single channel of the 40 available without other users stepping on all of the signals, I'd go right away and play the lottery. Listening to the audio provided by nokones, I didn't hear any other stations stepping on the test. While not legal, linier amplifiers, reak havok on CB. power mikes turned up to max (throw in effects such as echo and beeps) all add to the rule of "louder is better and further" which is typical for AM CB. (3) db gain of the two antennas? (4) Coax cable specs.

While i like the fact that nokones took the time to do a test, it was, in my opinion inaccurate for the couple of reasons i listed above. CB radio by it's technology and FCC limitations is and always will be a line-of-sight radio, much like FRS, non-repeated GMRS, non-repeated MURS etc.

More CB users need to step up and get their HAM Tech license. The test isn't that tough and opens a wide world of long distance communications (repeaters, clubs and events) without the bucket mouth users on CB (as CB was back in the 50's and 60's)
Based on the facts of your post, everything you stated are completely very Less-than-Accurate. 1) Nokones, being me, did not performed an antenna review, a performance test between the CB AM and CB FM modulations were performed to compare if there were any differences in the Farz: 2) there was no wife involved, just a friend, and there was no K30 antenna involved, two Firestik II antennae with used, one was a transmit antenna and one was a receive antenna; 3) Nokones, still being me, did not make an audio recording of the test, thus there was no audio posted by me.

The only statement by you that may be accurate is you probably do reside in Northern California.

You may want to go back and review whatever you reviewed and verify the facts and get back to the forum regarding your perspective holes in the test that only compared the real time results in comparing which CB modulation out performed the other in Farz that was the subject of a previous discussion on this forum, and that I would conduct a test to back up my previous statement.