BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BIG OOOPs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Here's one for the group.
I am using using Sentinal on my 436HP.
A friend of mine wanted me to duplicate my scanner onto his.
I tried to link up his scanner to my software.
Then I tried to read his radio ... Then the problem started.

In the process I found out when I tried to link my radio back up I found my radio would not scan my old favorite lists.
I checked they were downloaded & monitored, the service was turned on ...
I even tried to change the quick key ... But nothing worked.
My radio scans quick key 1-2 then 11-12-23 ... Missing a bunch in the middle.
I also lost all my data from home.

Since they show they are still there ... What should I check next?

Also, can I load my data onto my friends radio?

If I do a total factory reset, will I loose my DMR ability?

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
When you read in data from your friend’s radio, it overwrote your profile in Sentinel. You read in all the profile information from your friend’s scanner including settings, location, active favorite lists, and active quick keys. I’m guessing changes that are causing your issues involve location data, active favorite lists, and active quick keys. You can read from your scanner if you did not overwrite your scanner.

You should still have all of your favorite lists in Sentinel as long as your friend did not have favorite list with the same name. In that case, you will be prompted to overwrite. If you overwrote the favorite list, you can read it back from your scanner.

When you read a radio other than your own, create a new profile. This way you will not overwrite the profile you use for your radio. You can do a factory reset, but I would create a new profile and read in your scanner’s profile first to make sure you don’t lose anything. Resetting to factory will not cause you to lose DMR upgrade.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the above. If you read your friend's scanner, then did a write to your scanner, you've probably "cloned" his scanner to yours.

There is no such thing as a "Factory Reset" on this model scanner, such as older model scanners. Even if there was, you'd still have to re-program your data.

Once your DMR key is "loaded" into your scanner, it will stay there. In other words anything you do won't cause it to get lost.

All you need to do, as mentioned above, is create a Profile for you and a separate one for your friend. You may have to do some editing of your profile to get back where you were.

Bottom line is you can recover with a little bit of work.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
All you need to do, as mentioned above, is create a Profile for you and a separate one for your friend. You may have to do some editing of your profile to get back where you work.

So what everyone is saying ...
Create a profile called my friends radio?
Read his radio into my computer ...
His info will be added to my Favorite listing ?

So I CAN ADD SOME OF MY FAVOURITE Listings to his radio?

I've never done something like this before.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Here are the steps in Sentinel:

1. File>New. A pop-up window opens allowing you to Enter a Profile Name. You can call it anything you like. (You are creating a new Profile).
2. Click OK
3. Confirm that you are using the the desired Profile by looking at the very top left corner in Sentinel. You should see "BCDx36HP Sentinel: ZZZZZZ" where the ZZZZZ is the profile name.
4. Then read the scanner.
5. If you see a Window that says "XYZ Favorites List is different on PC!" I suggest choosing the option that allows you to give the Favorites List a new name. (If you see that, it means your friend's scanner has a Favorites List with the same name as you already have in your computer. Giving it a different name would prevent two completely different Favorites Lists that only have the same name.)

When the Read process is done, you should have those Favorites Lists you created on your computer as well as those that were created by your friend.

Favorites Lists can be "picked and chosen" to be sent to a scanner. This is done by the settings for whatever Profile you are using by turning the Download and Montior settings to On. You can "pick and chose" any of the Favorites Lists available in Sentinel.

(This is kind of like a big chest full of different tools. You choose whatever tools you need to do a given job.)

So that means "Yes, you can add some of your Favorites Lists to his radio". (Also means you can add some of his Favorites Lists to your radio.)

You can create any number of Profiles in Sentinel and configure each differently. All you need to be mindful of is using/opening/working on the correct/desired Profile. (As mentioned above, looking at the top left corner of Sentinel tells you which Profile is active.)

I've got a half dozen different profiles. Each of my three scanners has its own profile and for one scanner I have several profiles. (If I'm scanning locally I use one Profile. If I'm travelling I have another Profile.)

Lastly just to be sure we are talking a common language:

Favorites Lists are a collection of Systems that you wish to scan.

From the manual:
Profiles are “snapshots” of your scanner’s set up. A profile contains all your configuration settings as well as all of your Favorites Lists, Avoids, and System settings. Sentinel can save multiple profiles so you can also restore different profiles as you need them. For example, If you regularly visit a specific location, you can create a profile for that location. You can save it to Sentinel to use whenever you visit

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that valuable information.

One more question if I may ...
At this point, can I select some of my favourites to load onto his radio?
I'm assuming that I still use his profile ... Just download and monitor the favourites that I want to load onto his radio?

Yes. Here are the steps in Sentinel:

1. File>New. A pop-up window opens allowing you to Enter a Profile Name. You can call it anything you like. (You are creating a new Profile).
2. Click OK
3. Confirm that you are using the the desired Profile by looking at the very top left corner in Sentinel. You should see "BCDx36HP Sentinel: ZZZZZZ" where the ZZZZZ is the profile name.
4. Then read the scanner.
5. If you see a Window that says "XYZ Favorites List is different on PC!" I suggest choosing the option that allows you to give the Favorites List a new name. (If you see that, it means your friend's scanner has a Favorites List with the same name as you already have in your computer. Giving it a different name would prevent two completely different Favorites Lists that only have the same name.)

When the Read process is done, you should have those Favorites Lists you created on your computer as well as those that were created by your friend.

Favorites Lists can be "picked and chosen" to be sent to a scanner. This is done by the settings for whatever Profile you are using by turning the Download and Montior settings to On. You can "pick and chose" any of the Favorites Lists available in Sentinel.

(This is kind of like a big chest full of different tools. You choose whatever tools you need to do a given job.)

So that means "Yes, you can add some of your Favorites Lists to his radio". (Also means you can add some of his Favorites Lists to your radio.)

You can create any number of Profiles in Sentinel and configure each differently. All you need to be mindful of is using/opening/working on the correct/desired Profile. (As mentioned above, looking at the top left corner of Sentinel tells you which Profile is active.)

I've got a half dozen different profiles. Each of my three scanners has its own profile and for one scanner I have several profiles. (If I'm scanning locally I use one Profile. If I'm travelling I have another Profile.)

Lastly just to be sure we are talking a common language:

Favorites Lists are a collection of Systems that you wish to scan.

From the manual:
Profiles are “snapshots” of your scanner’s set up. A profile contains all your configuration settings as well as all of your Favorites Lists, Avoids, and System settings. Sentinel can save multiple profiles so you can also restore different profiles as you need them. For example, If you regularly visit a specific location, you can create a profile for that location. You can save it to Sentinel to use whenever you visit

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In the profile settings (Scan Selection tab), you can select which Favorite Lists are downloaded to the scanner, and which are actively scanned. Select his lists in his profile, and your lists in yours.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
In the profile settings (Scan Selection tab), you can select which Favorite Lists are downloaded to the scanner, and which are actively scanned. Select his lists in his profile, and your lists in yours.

Yes. How you do that is discussed in the post above.

Probably more confusing, but just to mention. Any Favorites List created in Sentinel or read from a scanner by Sentinel are "community property".

You determine which Favorites Lists are included in which profile by going through the steps above.

The benefit is this - you can create a Favorites List and share it with other users, just like other users can share their Favorites Lists with you. Keeps from having to re-invent wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.