Blue Angle Engine Failure Spawns Tanker Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedRHayes

I'm a little late reporting this, but I thought some would enjoy this Military Monitoring Story.

Last Thursday, July 15th, I was near the Dayton International Airport scouting out frequencies for last weekend's air show. While the Blue Angle's diamond was up identifying landmarks around the airport I heard a call to "knock-it-off". I didn't catch which aircraft it was, but the pilot was reporting that he lost his right engine and was declaring an emergency. I think it was either BA 4 or BA 7 that lost the engine, but I'm not sure.

I don't know why, but this year they did not install a barrier system at Dayton International as they have in the past. So the Blues we diverting to Wright-Patt AFB or Springfield ANG Base for certain emergencies.

I guess they had or suspected they had loss of breaks with the loss of the right engine so they needed to take barrier to stop the Blue Angel F-18. While WPAFB is closer, I think the main runway was closed for some construction so they diverted to Springfield.

The BA boss ordered one of the other BAs (either 4 or 7 I think) to fly chase for the IFE aircraft. I heard the IFE aircraft ask to refresh his memory on the tower frequency at Springfield - he was given 120.7.

I didn't here the landing but I know he successfully landed (I drove over and saw the F-18 on the runway still in the barrier - approach end runway 24 - he took it landing on 24).

I had heard some activity from F-16s from Springfield (both Dutch and Ohio ANG) I think in R-5503, but I wasn't paying close attention since I was recon-ing the Dayton Air Show. But I started hearing a change the the activity - the word got to them that their runway at Springfield was closed, though it was expected to re-opened fairly quickly.

I heard some discuss that they we knocking off their engagements and going in to "Max Endurance" holds. As time continued and the runway wasn't opening up things got more interesting.

The were having "maintenance" issues getting the BA F-18 off the runway - I'm guessing, but I think they didn't have a compatible "tow bar". I think the runway ended up closed for over an hour and 15 minutes.

During that time I heard one (if not two) of the Dutch F-16s declare "Low Fuel" and I believe they ended up landing at WPAFB. I believe they were able to open up runway 5L with the raised barrier at the departure end.

I heard that a tanker was being scrambled from RickenbackerANGB to provide fuel to the aircraft in the air. I heard at least two F-16s hook up with the tanker.

One of the F-16s was talking with the SOF at Springfield on 143.0 AM on a regular basis during this event getting updates on the status of the runway. The SOF kept saying they were expecting just another 10 minutes or so - but it kept going. Eventually it did open up and the SOF cleared them back - one of the F-16 reported he had 7000 lbs of fuel so he need to burn it off before he could land.

This story is what scanning is all about - not many days like that.

Too many frequencies to report, but I think just about all are in the RadioReference DB.

Here are the Blue Angel frequencies I heard (both on Thurs and during the air show).

284.25 diamond
275.35 diamond
237.8 solos
346.5 checklist

142.6126 Alpha
139.8125 Bravo

Dayton Air Show Air Boss 124.9
Discrete 123.15
F16 Viper Demo 384.55

Enjoy,

Ted

CORN

Premium Subscriber
The Blues also had another flameout on Saturday but this time it was on the ground at the start of the show. BA #6 "Baxter" reported one of his engines stalling during taxi. The maintenance crew went to work and had his jet prepped and the right engine already running prior to Baxter jumping in. He cranked the left, did some checks as Boss told him to take some time and basically make sure everything was working and after about a 10 min delay the show started with all 6 planes.

Looks like the planes are showing their age now. Kudos to the maint crew for keeping it together under the circumstances. Also aside from his demo, Fat Albert was a busy bee having to make trips between Springfield and Dayton on Thurs and Dayton, Springfield and NAS Pensacola on Saturday for spare parts.

TedRHayes

Actually, I think they went to the spare. I saw him park #6 on the taxiway, get out and, get into a truck and head back for the spare. The Mx crews did get the "6" on the vertical stabilizers of the spare before he took off.

You can see some good photos of the Blues (and others) at my web site: His World Images - Home

This is the first time I've seen Fat Albert without the JATO takeoff - just not the same!!

Ted

neurodragon

awesome catch ! man I wonder how much longer the Blues can keep those old birds flying ..

I get to watch em practice from my office window most Tuesday and Wednesday mornings heh heh .. gotta love working in downtown Pensacola with a view. Awesome story man, I'm just getting back into scanning and I seem to be in a major hotspot so you got me amped up now .. [73s]

K6CRB

Premium Subscriber
Years ago at Edwards airshow one of the T-Birds while over the runway inverted no less had something give out and declared an IFE. He also had a wingman and he righted the aircraft and went right in for a landing. The others flew a slow arc around the airshow area. He taxied up to the spare, jumped in and off he went. As the group completed the arc he joined them and the show was on. Unless you were monitoring, you or the crowd had no idea something was wrong. It was just part of the show. Those guys are good.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I think they went to the spare. I saw him park #6 on the taxiway, get out and, get into a truck and head back for the spare. The Mx crews did get the "6" on the vertical stabilizers of the spare before he took off.

You can see some good photos of the Blues (and others) at my web site: His World Images - Home

This is the first time I've seen Fat Albert without the JATO takeoff - just not the same!!

Ted

Yes, they went to the spare. I meant they had the spare up and ready by the time he got to it. It was an oversight that was confusing, sorry.

jsoergel

Didn't find the post until just now, but figured I'd chip in....

The diamond was up doing their circle maneuvers and #2 (163106) lost an engine. It is standard procedure with most engine failures to make an arrested landing. Since both Patterson and Springfield have arresting gear, they are designated emergency diverts and Dayton is not required to install it for military aircraft at the show. Patterson has runway construction on 05L/23R and the BAK-12/14 is out of service, so Springfield was the field used. After the landing, the aircraft was unable to be moved from the runway, but only ATOMIC 01 was forced to divert to Patterson (not an uncommon occurance). It departed the next morning on a normal sortie, but landed at Springfield. Fat Albert (164763) made a day trip to get parts, and dropped them off at Springfield on Thursday evening before returning to Dayton.

For practice on Thursday, Zesty flew #5 (163768) in place of #2. Walleye was in #4 (161723) but it had a trim issue and was unable to participate. The end result was a four-ship demo: three diamond a/c and the opposing solo. #4 was repaired and made a test flight later in the evening. #2 was fixed overnight and returned to Dayton on Friday morning. #6 (163435) flew a test flight Friday afternoon in Buckeye MOA, and even made a supersonic run above FL350. It later had issues at the start of practice and made a late takeoff.

For the Saturday demo, #6 had an engine spool down and was replaced by #7 (163468), which had the #6 markings applied just in case. Baxter shut it down on M and got a ride over to the spare; the broken a/c was towed back just as the diamond took off. On Sunday, Fat Albert was apparently having issues just before the demo and was not expected to fly, but the maintenance crews must have fixed it in time. All the jets performed without any incident for that day's demo.

You can read my full logs (frequencies included) here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/1350264-post132.html

P.S. -
I had heard some activity from F-16s from Springfield (both Dutch and Ohio ANG) I think in R-5503, but I wasn't paying close attention since I was recon-ing the Dayton Air Show.

R-5503 no longer exists; it was replaced by Buckeye MOA...though [hopefully] if the 178th is allowed to base their MQ-1s at Springfield, it may be activated again as a restricted area.

CalebATC

awesome catch ! man I wonder how much longer the Blues can keep those old birds flying ..

I get to watch em practice from my office window most Tuesday and Wednesday mornings heh heh .. gotta love working in downtown Pensacola with a view. Awesome story man, I'm just getting back into scanning and I seem to be in a major hotspot so you got me amped up now .. [73s]

They will keep them flying for quite a while longer! No dobt in my mind that they will not switch within 5 years.

But the next plane will most likely be the Super Hornet. Since the budget is lower, they do not have money to buy (or trade) 9 new Super Hornets.

Blue Angels 1, 5 and 6 are F/A-18C's, the newer "baby" hornet. The 7, and the two other two seaters are F/A-18D's, newer "baby two seater" Horet. All other of the Hornets are F/A-18A's, the REALLY old ones!

100% of the planes the Blue Angels have have been combat retired (most of them actually have been in real combat) and are now the Blue's. So by far, they are very old aircraft. Back from the 80's or so.

The Super Hornet has roughtly 8 more thousand pounds of thrust, so it would make the show a whole lot louder =) The Super Hornet is not quite as "reactant" to a very rapid turn, but that wouldn't be much of a factor.

But then again, the Blue Angels don't have the money to go and buy, or accumulate any new F/A-18E's or F/A-18F's (two seaters) Most of the F/A-18A/B's are retired, along with a good amount of F/A-18C's and D's.

Anyway, the Blues seem to have a great deal of engine failures this year, and other types of failures. Just to show that 30 years of very hard working service will totally give a plane it's moneys worth! Like I said earlier, every single one of the Blue Angels planes were once used in combat. They are like "hand me downs" Therfore, it might be a while before they get F/A-18E's and F/A-18F's.

Anyway, sounds like you had a GREAT time at the show, by far an interesting one! Can't wait to goto NAS Oceana here soon!

Edit: PS, the Blue Angels are by far the best with dealing with rapidly changing conditions and emergencies! The Narrator sounds like he had narrated like it was going to happen!

Dreddi

All the Blue Angles F-18s are first gen aircraft. Its to be expected they would have a lot of maintenance issues. If you ever get a chance to look at them up close <50' You'll see how worn they look, they leak, they're dirty, they're maintenance pigs. Luckily they have quite a few aircraft sitting around they can rob parts off of to keep them airworthy which cuts down on operating costs tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.