Bow Dispatch Center Mixed Mode?

GraniteScanner

Radio Nerd
Premium Subscriber
At about 3:43PM today I was monitoring my local bank and my scanner stopped on the Bow Dispatch Center (KCH727 - 155.76000). This is usually a P25 signal but I got it in as Narrow FM. It sounded like some plows/Public Works department communications. Just thought I would make this noted here as this frequency is P25 most of the time, but the plows in Bow do not have P25 radios, only analog.
Has anyone else heard mixed mode on this frequency before?

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Bow Dispatch ceased operations several years ago. Merrimack County dispatches police on 155.685/NAC 117. For a little, while both frequencies were patched, but I think that also ended. It might be a BPD local channel (P25) and it's possible the town plows are using it analog. It is also possible a signal snuck in from somewhere else. A PL/DPL tone if accessible might help with that.

GraniteScanner

Radio Nerd
Premium Subscriber
Bow Dispatch ceased operations several years ago. Merrimack County dispatches police on 155.685/NAC 117. For a little, while both frequencies were patched, but I think that also ended. It might be a BPD local channel (P25) and it's possible the town plows are using it analog. It is also possible a signal snuck in from somewhere else. A PL/DPL tone if accessible might help with that.
What was the analog PL you received?
I was not able to catch a PL tone unfortunately but I will definitely be keeping an eye on this frequency for the rest of the day.

GraniteScanner

Radio Nerd
Premium Subscriber
None of Bow's radios have that channel programmed anything but P25.
Meredith DPW is licensed on that freq (PL?)
Washington Town Channel is licensed and uses 146.2
Interesting, I have been able to pick up Meredith PD’s analog frequency before but this was plow talk for sure. I’m betting it was Washington then.
Thanks for the info 👍🏻

wmm1200

I believe Deerfield, NH uses this frequency simplex for highway with a tone of 136.5.
I used to hear Lunenburg, MA fire KCH343 also. This frequency and call sign is still licensed to them and may be in use by other town departments.

GraniteScanner

Radio Nerd
Premium Subscriber
Another Update: I received analog traffic on this freq around 11AM. No tone was detected on my scanner. To me it sounded like public works traffic. Looking through the ULS it has a handful of licensees for public safety.
My assumptions at this point is that the traffic heard back earlier this year and even today suggest that this channel not only acts as an inter-op/tac in mixed mode. Some town may also hand it out to public works.

creeperjeep

Lit GMRS
My assumptions at this point is that the traffic heard back earlier this year and even today suggest that this channel not only acts as an inter-op/tac in mixed mode. Some town may also hand it out to public works.
That 155.760 $117 is labeled as Bow Tac in their radios, it is a repeater on the top of Logging Hill
I believe it was their primary dispatch channel before going to county

GraniteScanner

Radio Nerd
Premium Subscriber
Break in the Case!!!
Hearing traffic with a tone of 136.5 "Rumney 1to Rumney 2" it sounded like DPW as we have mentioned before. But here we have some user activity. This sounds like some skip from Groton NH judging by the line "Rocks Parking lot"
Recording:

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
I'm not usually a fan of posting VHF repeater inputs, but it's kind of necessary here. It appears that is the Rumney Police/Town local channel is coming through, as you said with atmospheric push, into the Bow Repeater. Rumney 1 is the RPD Chief.

It's also another example of why using what we jokingly call "New Hampshire Carrier Squelch" (aka PL 136.5) isn't really a good idea anymore for anywhere that isn't already running hundreds of radios.

GraniteScanner

Radio Nerd
Premium Subscriber
Just had a thought on this. So if I am reading this correctly your saying that the simplex freq you listed is coming into the old Bow PD repeater and its repeating it? That's a pretty unique situation in a cool way.

I'm not usually a fan of posting VHF repeater inputs, but it's kind of necessary here. It appears that is the Rumney Police/Town local channel is coming through, as you said with atmospheric push, into the Bow Repeater. Rumney 1 is the RPD Chief.

ecps92

To add to Johns comments

VHF Part 90 (Non Amateur) has NO Band plan for input/output off-sets

All faux examples
So a user at Location 1 could be using 159.9000 Repeater with 156.0500 in could reasonably (right tones, band openning etc) activate the Repeater at Location 2 who is using 151.2500 Repeater but has a 159.9000 input

This is very similar to what is occuring.
Its more common than you might think unfortunately. VHF High Band was never organized like UHF, 700/800MHz was. So one communities input is another communities output.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Rumney likely has no idea about any of this, nor have any contact w/Capital Area. It's up to Bow to determine it's an issue and work with Rumney or the FCC to resolve it. It happens from time to time and it's up to the organization being interfered with to decide what to do about it.