British Tornadoes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but my jet airplane recognition is very poor. I know there have been previous posts from previous years on this, so someone can merge them if they want. Saturday 2010 May 15 around noon while talking to my neighbour, 2 jets roared overhead on their way to land at CYYC on runway 34. Now bear with me, they looked like F-18 or the fighterjet Canada has. Both were landing together. Later, while taking pictures at a baseball game near the airport, and again on the flight path for runway 34, I noticed another jet airplane banking from the east to line up for runway 34. Took some pictures that aren't very good as I mostly shot the undercarrage. However, under the cockpit was the British Air Force circle. Not sure if it was just refueling or staying here for a while if they have exercises at Suffield. One amateur radio operating has been very busy building "black boxes" for the British Army for exercises at Suffield. Thus, there may be some interesting monitoring or fighter jet plane watching over the next couple of weeks.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The pair that came in on Thursday was JACKAL flight, identifying as JACKAL 11. Two planes, tail numbers 021 and 099. JACKAL is a callsign used by 12Sqn out of RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland.

They are/were being serviced at Shell Aerocenter. I only had my BB with me at the time, so between that and the fence, the pictures weren't spectacular.

4608663939_7861becf75.jpg

4608664017_d09e416467.jpg

robertmac

Premium Subscriber

021 is the tail number on the one I photographed. The time on the camera was at 1550. Did not see the other one at that time.

JRPhotography

Photographer
They were only expected to be here for a week for ground troop training. Heard they could stay a little long. I've been watching them take off at work all week. Love how loud they are!

John

masterb

anyone willing to give up the freq's for any military stuff please? didn't see anything in the database

Jay911

Feed Provider
When the aircraft fly into Calgary, they're on the standard VHF (civilian) airport frequencies. Whether that's by their choice or because the mil-air frequencies are patched into the civilian frequencies (which was the case last time I checked), you'll hear them on the usual YYC comms.

BATUS (British Army Training Unit Suffield) uses, I'm 90% sure, an EDACS analog trunk system. It's on the Cypress County page in the RR database. (CFB Suffield is surrounded by/located in Cypress County.) There's a lot we don't know about the system, including the site locations, LCNs, etc. If you are listening down that way, any info you can provide would be greatly helpful.

On a similar topic: I see Global did a spot about the Tornados on their news tonight. For some reason, I'm unable to play their on-website videos on any browser. Anyone experienced this before and have any advice?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
1500-1600

Busy last couple of days working in the yard so haven't been monitoring the airport. But most days, I have seen them landing between 1500-1600 on runway 34. Have not seen them take off so don't know the time. Even when they are coasting in for a landing, their noise is distinctive. Nice to see them, different than the usual airliners and private jets.

Jay911

Feed Provider
They stopped by for another visit today.. interestingly enough, -021 has been replaced with -026.

and a couple pallets of servicing gear..

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
3 now

I was working outside today and saw 3 tornados fly directly overhead between 1451 and 1630. Could not see their tail numbers so not sure if they were 3 different jets, or one did another flight. If I was free as a bird, I would be sitting at the airport getting pictures of them coming in, but alas, other priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.