Broadcastify Feed - Background Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, just wanted to run the scenario by you to see what you think. I just recently moved my feed setup. I originally had it at my own house, but had some powerline noise that was severely effecting reception. I ended up moving the whole setup to a family members house to avoid those issues. The feed worked great there. The powerline noise at my house seems to have been rectified, so I just moved the whole setup back to my house. It consists of a Bearcat BCD325P2 going to an external USB sound card which is plugged into a dedicated laptop. It's the same equipment I've been using in both locations.

Upon moving the setup back to my house and hooking it all up the same way, there is a LOT of background noise in my feed. Much more then there was before when it was at my house last time, and when it was at my family member's house. I have an in-line device that was recommended to me to clean up the audio, but it doesn't do anything. The audio coming out of the scanner is clean. The issue seems to be somewhere in the sound card or computer itself maybe. I have two of the same sounds cards and tried both with the same results though.

Any other thoughts? I'm always amazed when I find feeds on Broadcastify that have NO background noise at any volume. I can't figure out how they are doing it. I just want to make sure my feed is as high quality as possible.

Also, I have a new SDS100 scanner coming as well. Does anyone know if there is a way that this scanner can be hooked to a computer (serial port, etc?) to avoid some of the noise issues? I don't know what expanded capabilities the SDS100 might have for using in a feed setup. Thanks in advance.

One simple thing I'd check is that the audio mixer on the PC has the microphone and other unused auio items muted or at least turned down.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Even with a ground loop/noise isolator, it will only block out so much. As mentioned above, the higher the recording volume for the device on PC will usually cause noise. In the past, I have had audio cables from the scanner to the PC be the culprit of the noise. Replacing them usually fixed it. Having your scanner close to other electronics too can cause noise, especially near a modem. Like most other things, it's trial and error to see what works best for you.

If you really wanted to get deep into it, run the audio through processing software to remove any noise. That would most likely require multiple pieces of software though, one of them being virtual audio cable.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all. I'll check the recording volume, etc, but I haven't changed any settings. I literally unplugged everything and plugged it all back in at the new location.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
I'll experiment. No other electronics nearby, it's in a basement, all other internet-related electronics are on the second floor. It's in the same spot it was in the first time it was set up at my house. I'll keep working on it.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Well I figured it out. User error as I suspected. I thought I would be smart and power my scanner with a usb output from my computer. I was setting up my new SDS100 today for my feed As soon as I unplugged the old scanner from the computer I realized that was probably the issue. It’s the only thing I did differently. Hooked up the SDS and plugged it into the wall as it should be, no more noise. Thanks all!

Quick note on the SDS, it’s only been up and running a couple hours but there is a noticeable improvement in reception, especially on VHF analog. I’m hearing units now I’ve never heard before with the BCD325P2 or the TRX-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.