Broken links from Template:Text_TalkInForumsPlease

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Not being familiar with this wiki, I attempted to go to Talk:Digital_Speech_Decoder_(software_package) to discuss an issue with its related page Digital_Speech_Decoder_(software_package). The talk page uses the code {{Text_TalkInForumsPlease|software|Software}} to transclude Template:Text_TalkInForumsPlease to direct people to the forums, but the two links it provides are incorrect.

The solution for this particular case could be:
  1. In Talk:Digital_Speech_Decoder_(software_package), change the transclusion to {{Text_TalkInForumsPlease|voice-control-channel-decoding-software.26|Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software}}.
  2. In Template:Text_TalkInForumsPlease, change {{Forum|wiki-forum|Wiki}} to {{Forum|wiki-forum.142|Wiki}}.
Is there maybe a more general solution that maps the old forum links to the new ones with the .n suffixes? Without digging further, I'm guessing the problem affects other talk pages and other transclusions of {{Forum}}.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
All of the forums now have that blasted numeric tag on them, and it has broken numerous templates and functions. You are more than welcome to go and fix it as you have described

Mike

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I just applied the solution described in #2.

Solution #1 is a bigger deal. Since Template:Text_TalkInForumsPlease is used many places, I think the solution is to add another variable to the template so the forum number can be appended to the forum link.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Then you would have to go in and enter the correct forum number for that token. Time consuming but doable...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.