Brooklyn Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
last night Brooklyn had a working fire at Marc's at Ridge Park SQ and Parma,Parma Heights,Brookpark did respond the thing i don't understand is why everyone don't have a Talkgroup to talk to Command? Parma has 10 Fire Tac channels to use on something this big sad who ever does their radio programing would make sure all Department's would be able to talk to each other more easy than asking their Dispatch to relay the info at a fire.

budevans

Dave,

I heard the mutual aid requests for both Parma Hts. and Brook Park on the GCRCN system. I have to admit I thought to myself, this should be interesting.

I monitored both systems and as you mentioned there wasn't the level of command and control that you would like to have. There's no indication of that situation improving in the near future.

It's a matter of politics, money and in one communities case a very bruised ego.

mszabo2000

It's possible they do and the responding personnel did not know how to switch to it, or weren't instructed by the IC to do so. Regular training on radio operation is a must, unfortunately it's not often reality.

Radio programmers are "providers" not "deciders". They can recommend TG's, but ultimately they program what the user instructs them to. If the radios didn't have the required TG's, look to the user for answers.

OHIOSCAN

Coord

It's a matter of politics, money and in one communities case a very bruised ego.

I've have noticed the same thing during many different multiagency actions, whether it's fire or police there does not seem be much of a mutual aid coordination protocol. When I lived in Florida Broward County had a very good set up, multiple agencies had very good mutual aid radio communication. the only way I can see this getting fixed is to coordinate all the radios through one County entity. In Florida most counties have one major trunk system that all the agencies use. The cities that are not on he county system almost always have the countywide mutual aid talk groups on their system. If Ohio could get some traction with the 700 system being built that would solve a lot of the issues. it's too bad so much of the money that was allocated after 9/11 for mutual aid coordination was pissed away.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Swipesy

When you follow the news articles of what is going on with the attempt to consolidate the 45 or so independent dispatch centers down to 4 + there is one common resistance - the politicians do not want to have their dispatchers lose their jobs. And of course, next to follow is consolidation of chiefs and equipment. It is all about the politicians maintaining their fiefdoms.

mszabo2000

"the politicians do not want to have their dispatchers lose their jobs"

Few if any municipalities are flush with cash so reducing your highest cost of operation (personnel) is an attractive option. However, in most suburban departments dispatchers also perform administrative tasks. If you eliminate dispatching, you still need the administrative staff so the cost reduction is minimal. They would save on future equipment purchases, upgrades, and maintenence associated with a dispatch center.

Also, the resistance to look past local boundries and view solutions regionally as well as the "we do it best" syndrome are some of the obstacles to consolidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.