Building Off Center Dipole. Balun or No Balun? And Related Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVUSA

Premium Subscriber
First of all, I want to commend you on building your own antenna, doing research, asking questions, and then testing and publishing your results! Nice!

Thing is, you may be getting ahead of yourself, and mixing things up a little bit. I recognize this since I do it all the time. :)

Before you make any tweaks to the OCFD, use the suggested dimensions first and then take your readings. That is, use 4 feet (48 inches) of wire on one side of the block, and then use 1-1/2 feet (18 inches) on the other side of the block. Hang this up like shown in the picture. It doesn't matter if the smaller element is on top, or the longer one is - use whatever position is convenient. You could even tie-wrap it to a long stick, pvc, whatever if you just wanted to stand it up in the corner - however I recommend hanging it.

Remember to run the coax away from this vertical antenna for at least a few feet horizontally for best results.

What I think you might be thinking is that this is somehow "two" antennas - a long one and a short one. Not so. The ENTIRE antenna is critically dependent upon these two lengths - 48 inches one side and 18 inches the other. Trying to tweak the ocfd with other lengths might enhance one band, but totally kill the others. This SINGLE antenna is doing quadruple-duty or more on the various bands - which is convenient, but can also be it's downfall on the higher frequencies - but you have to build it as recommended first.

So cut new lengths as recommended (48 inches and 18 inches) and check out your results - write them down somewhere. Maybe move the antenna if you can to different areas - outside, different walls, etc.

Now you have a reference to compare other antennas to, such as a 5/8 wave - BUT the 5/8 wave vertical is an entirely different antenna than the OCFD, and will be made differently - no tv-type 300:75 ohm transformer etc.

The trap not to fall into is optimizing an antenna before building the "official" one, and getting your own reference. That way you can see how well (or badly) your improvements/modifications work compared to the standard one.

Thanks for looking at my results and replying.

Yes, I will now build the suggested OCFD. (Or the 4 feet and 1.5 feet method)

Like I said, I had no idea of how to build the supposed 5/8 wave OCFD.
So, I would leave everything the same, minus the balun?
Is there such a connector to go from my feed line to the barrier strip?

I will post the results of the new 4’ / 1.5’ antenna when I have them.

Thanks again…

MVUSA

Premium Subscriber
I realize now that, I definitely did not make a 5/8 wave off center dipole. God knows what I made…

I cannot figure out how to calculate for the off center, of any wave length. Any help with this?

I can grasp the concept of a center fed dipole. For instance, a 1/2 wave center fed dipole for 155 MHZ would have a total length of 3.02 feet and each leg of the dipole would be 1.51 feet. Now, how would I convert that into an off center fed dipole? I am guessing it has to do with where the off center is, for instance 1/3 off center. Is that pretty standard?
Would it be then, a 1/2 off center fed dipole for 155MHz would have a total length of 3.02 feet, but one leg would be 1.01 feet and the other leg would be 2.01 feet?

I realize now also that a 1/2 wave Center Fed dipole is two 1/4 wave legs together.

And for that matter, what does the 4 feet and 1.5 feet off center dipole equate too?

Also, how would I pick the most correct frequency to build an off center fed dipole, for listening at 155MHz, 460MHz, and 860MHz? Is this based off harmonics?

Please excuse the barrage of questions…

NOTE: I have built the suggested 4’ and 1.5’ OCFD, and I am currently testing it. Initial observation is I have lost some reception at 155MHz compared to my cluster F@%!, mythical 5/8 wave OCFD.

nanZor

Please excuse the barrage of questions...
Don't worry - you are asking all the right questions! I see the gears turning..

NOTE: I have built the suggested 4’ and 1.5’ OCFD, and I am currently testing it. Initial observation is I have lost some reception at 155MHz...

Yep - this multiband antenna isn't really optimized for any single frequency except for 88 mhz - and relies on harmonics and the offset to give a compromize, so no surprise there. BUT, evaluate it from a SYSTEM standpoint: is the reception at 155 mhz good enough? How is the reception at 460 and 880 mhz? They may not be optimal, but if you are picking up the targets you need, this may be a keeper - or something to throw in the closet while you build the other ones for comparison to it!

The problem with using the harmonic trick is that although your receiver and transmission line may love it, the real-world angles that the antenna is looking at might be very much straight up, rather than looking outwards. In other words, when you start to make an antenna longer than the dipole length (half-wave) then unless you compensate for it, the antenna, if it had eyes, would be looking way above the horizon - this may not be desirable.

Also don't forget that you are feeding this large broadband antenna into a handheld - so on the 155 mhz frequencies, try using the attenuator as a test. If the signals improve, we are overloading the front end. If they just get weaker, then we know we have to make a better antenna. :) In fact, if you listen to the WX channels, does attenuation have any affect at all?

And for that matter, what does the 4 feet and 1.5 feet off center dipole equate too?

Well, not to the usual 1/3 point, although it appears close. Since the bands we are interested in are not exact multiples of even harmonics, it was fudged a little bit to be a little more broadband - but we still have to deal with the antenna reception lobe patterns looking upwards instead of outwards as the frequency rises above 88 mhz.

In other words, this OCFD that you built is about as good as it is going to get. Might be time to shelve it temporarily, unless you are satisfied with the *overall* performance, compromised as it might be.

I cannot figure out how to calculate for the off center, of any wave length. Any help with this?

The easiest way would be to calculate for a regular half-wave (468 / F mhz). Then, multiply that length by .33. This is where you would cut the half-wave element in two and attach the balun. BUT this will only put you on the primary freq and even harmonics, and there is much in between. But there you go.

Would it be then, a 1/2 off center fed dipole for 155MHz would have a total length of 3.02 feet, but one leg would be 1.01 feet and the other leg would be 2.01 feet?

Yes, but the ocfd especially with a 1/3 offset responds primarily to the even harmonics, so.... 155 * 2 = 310 mhz. So maybe if you wanted to build a VHF / Mil-air dual-bander. :) The cool thing is, you can now do things like this, and not wait for a manufacturer to come up with something!

Center-Fed Dipole = primary and odd harmonics
OCFD = primary and even harmonics (except for the 6th). Fudged for scanner broadbanding.
Look angles rise above the horizon as the harmonic frequencies get higher.

I realize now also that a 1/2 wave Center Fed dipole is two 1/4 wave legs together.

And is really optimized for one band. Fortunately, a center-fed dipole is 73 ohms or thereabouts, and is a great match to a 75 ohm transmission line. Thus you don't need a balun.

You could grab an "F-Chassis" connector or Radio Shack "Panel Mount F-61 Jack #278-212" to make it easy to connect a dipole directly to the RG-6. Connect one wire under the nut, and solder the other wire to the center conductor and bend them vertically. Make sure you don't short the center pin to the connector shell if you bend it. These connectors are pretty delicate, so indoor / temporary mounts are the rule of the day here.

NOTE: This chassis connector trick is extremely useful for making simple verticals with radials - keep that in mind!

I can grasp the concept of a center fed dipole. For instance, a 1/2 wave center fed dipole for 155 MHZ would have a total length of 3.02 feet and each leg of the dipole would be 1.51 feet. Now, how would I convert that into an off center fed dipole?

Now we're getting somewhere. If you built a center-fed dipole for 155 mhz (no balun - just a direct connection) - it responds to ODD harmonics as well as the primary obviously. There is no need to go off-center now.

Center-Fed Dipole = odd harmonics
OCFD = even harmonics (except for the 6th). Fudged for scanner broadbanding.
Look angle rises as the frequency rises above the primary freq.

So guess what - 155 * 3 = 465! A simple center-fed dipole cut for 155 mhz would at least take care of TWO of your bands of interest in the simplest way possible. However, we are dealing with harmonics again, and at 465 mhz, the antenna would be looking upwards instead of outwards, unlike at 155 mhz primary, which would look outwards across the horizon. How much difference? At 155 mhz, it would be zero degrees across the horizon. (ideally). At 465 mhz, the antenna looks up at about 45 degrees with this setup. This could be a deal breaker.

But would it be ok? Simple to try! Just cut your dipole, (about what - 18.2 inches on each wire) attach it to the F-chassis connector with NO balun, and check it out. Even 866 mhz *might* be good if signals are strong, even though it isn't optimize for 866 mhz.

Getting closer - you could even build a "fan dipole" at this stage to get 866 in better. On each side of the dipole, add a 3.25 inch wire and spread it apart from your original wires a little bit - maybe at 20 degree angle or so.

But what to do with that useless balun now? Well, it will do just fine if you decide to try out a "folded dipole". This is center-fed on one side, but is really a very skinny rectangular loop with 300 ohm impedance. It is broadband on the band of interest only - much like a fat copper pipe would be - but we aren't going there now. :)

I think that if you opt for putting the ocfd away for now, start another thread say for the fan dipole so we can keep track of your results better...

Last edited by a moderator:

MVUSA

Premium Subscriber
Results of various antennas... Suggested Off Center Fed Dipole

Reference:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Homebrewed_Off-Center_Fed_Dipole

Here is the parts breakdown:
6 foot RG6 quad shield coax for the feed line.
RS 15-1230 matching transformer.
RS 274-656 dual row barrier strip.
RS 278-1217 solid wire 18AWG.
Made one antenna length 18 inches.
and the other antenna length 48 inches.

Look at my post #19 for the other antenna results:
http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...n-no-balun-related-questions.html#post1619770

This antenna (Suggested Off Center Dipole) performed better than any of my other antennas. Sort of…

The 155MHz station of interest came in with 3 to 4 bars, that’s 1 or 2 bars better.
But I did notice more static with the reception.
Maybe I should state the repeater for this station is probably 2700 feet above me and about 15 miles away. If I am reading the info correctly.

The 860MHz trunked system came in better as well. I received more trunked systems, 1 or 2 bars more, and reception was clearer. The location of this repeater should be at the same location as the 155MHz.

The 460MHz station of interest, I kind of lost. 1 or 2 bars at best with a lot of static. Pretty much unlistenable. Lost about 1 or 2 bars.
Maybe I should state the repeater for this station is probably 2200 feet above me.
Distance is about 40 miles away. Again, if I am reading the info correctly. I was a little surprised by this. But after reviewing their county layout, it would make sense.

nanZor

Getting there - although you may just now be running into the limitations of the OCFD.

How is the antenna mounted / hung ? Have you tried positioning it a few feet one direction or the other? One thing for sure - you want it at least a few feet away from any wall that may have conduit or chicken wire inside it.

MVUSA

Premium Subscriber
Getting there - although you may just now be running into the limitations of the OCFD.

How is the antenna mounted / hung ? Have you tried positioning it a few feet one direction or the other? One thing for sure - you want it at least a few feet away from any wall that may have conduit or chicken wire inside it.

The antenna is mounted/hung on the wall with thumbtacks. The dipole is vertical, and the feed line does run horizontal for about 3 feet before going down to the BCT15X scanner. That is the longest horizontal run I can do with the antenna height and 6 feet feed line.

You had a very, very good idea. Move the antenna around! I literally moved the antenna 3 inches to the right, only 3 inches because that's all the further right I could go. Believe it or not, reception improved on the 460MHz station. Was it near an electrical wire in the wall? Yes it was. How close? Not exactly sure, but probably about 4 inches. But now it is 3 more inches away. Should it be further? Probably, but that would require a longer feed line and even then it might not be better, i.e. more wires, computer equipment, speakers, etc…
I would need another 4 feet to put it in a supposed better spot, which I may do… This brand of feed line I have now seems to be decent. It’s an RCA RG-6 Quad Shield. I am not too impressed with the Phillips brand. But like I said very early, I most likely will use a LMR400 for the feed line after we build a proven antenna. I bet that's a whole other can of worms. Probably most would say that it would be ridiculous to use a LMR400 instead of a good RG-6 for my application, and relative short feed line, even it was up to 25 feet. But if it would a benefit, I will do it.

Now for the sight over analysis:
I would assume that an electrical wire or any conductive material for that matter in the path between the transmitter antenna and receiver antenna would cause a blind spot. That would make sense to me since the transmitting tower, electrical wire, and the scanner were somewhat in a line together. Well maybe not a direct line, but close enough.

But, yes I would like to play around with a Fan Dipole, but I will start a new thread when I do.
Got to remember, never forget KISS!

nanZor

The antenna is mounted/hung on the wall with thumbtacks.

In my experience, even getting the elements a few inches away from the wall (cement, plaster, drywall etc) helps a lot. One thing you can try if you can't move it much, is to lean it a little bit by freeing up the bottom end, and maybe testing it by taping it down to a heavy object a foot or so away from the wall just to get a little separation.

In some cases, I've even used wooden or plastic thread spools and long wall bolts just to get a few inches out.

Leaning the OCFD especially indoors is ok - with the funky lobes at uhf / 800 mhz, this can sometimes help if the lean isn't too much - I wouldn't go beyond about 22 degrees though. Indoors, you may be getting a lot of reflections, or skewing of the polarization from other objects, so try a little lean.

You could also tie-wrap or even just tape it to a long broomhandle, dowel rod, or if you have a certified man-cave, a piece of pvc pipe, and lean it up against the wall. :)

The dipole is vertical, and the feed line does run horizontal for about 3 feet before going down to the BCT15X scanner. That is the longest horizontal run I can do with the antenna height and 6 feet feed line.

That's fine.

Probably most would say that it would be ridiculous to use a LMR400 instead of a good RG-6 for my application, and relative short feed line, even it was up to 25 feet. But if it would a benefit, I will do it.

I probably wouldn't put much $ into the OCFD with LMR400, but I like your spirit! It won't go to waste I'm sure. Before trying that, I'd definitely experiment by getting it out of direct contact with the wall, and maybe leaning it a little bit one way or the other just to get the most from it before swapping out the feedline.

Got to remember, never forget KISS!

Got that straight! The OCFD is definitely a KISS broadband antenna at first glance, but there is a lot to it that explains why it is so good / poor depending on the situation. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.