Burlington County NJ N/S Simulcast

aslc

Premium Subscriber
I have a new SDS100 programmed for both the N & S simulcast on Burlington County's P25 Phase II system. Traffic only comes over the N simulcast regardless of where the stations and units are located in the county. I never see anything come up as S simulcast. Any idea why?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You have to be within range of the south simulcast in order for the scanner to receive activity, otherwise you're only actually scanning the north simulcast regardless of what you have programmed.

aslc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. That's what I thought... makes sense but when I'm in southern BC it still comes through as north simulcast. I have both programmed.
If I can pick up all southern trafic on north, wouldn't that mean it's going out on both? I'm not missing any transmissions. If that's the case, why wouldn't they just have one countywide simulcast with sites spreadout throughout the county, similar to the setup in Camden and Gloucester counties?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Good question. Of course Burlington County has to be different...:/Probably the reason they have a North and South is due to the size of the county, they probably are not allowed to reuse the same set of frequencies over such a large footprint without causing cochannel interference with some other agency. Just a guess. The North simulcast goes all the way to Pemberton and Tabernacle and can be heard in select areas of Manchester and LBI. The South simulcast has towers in Sweetwater, Chatsworth, and Warren Grove. It can be heard from most of Atlantic County along and north of the AC Expressway, a good bit of Southern Ocean County, LBI, and I even used to pick it up along the PA extension of the NJ Turnpike through Florence and Burlington Townships. The North Simulcast always covers all response channels and unless something is wrong, the F1 patch. The South Simulcast does not always pick up all response channels. It also does not carry the F-1 patch frequently.

FireHam32

There are far fewer subscriber units that would normally be affiliated on the south simulcast at any given time, and they will be concentrated on the talkgroup(s) currently or most recently in use in that part of the county. That would primarily be Bass River, Washington Township, and Woodland Township. There are not very many fire/EMS calls in that area and none of those towns have paid staffing, so subscriber radios are really only being used when there is a call, or for whatever talkgroup the base radio at each station was last left on. Since each site will only carry traffic for talkgroups on which a subscriber unit is affiliated, it makes sense that you would not be hearing all the traffic from the system over the south simulcast.

The north simulcast area covers the county communications centers (primary and backup), all of the combination and fully paid fire/ems departments in the county, and all of the high-volume systems in the county. Because of these factors, there are more subscriber radios turned on and affiliated to the north simulcast at any given time and more talkgroups in use on the north simulcast at any given time. Therefore, the north simulcast will almost always be carrying all available non-encrypted traffic at any given time.

The system was designed with all these factors in mind, as evidenced by the fact that the north simulcast has 10 output frequencies (one FDMA control channel and 9 TDMA voice channels = 18 talkpaths) compared to the south simulcast's 4 (1 FDMA control and 3 TDMA voice = 6 talkpaths).

Reactions: GM