Bus Transit Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomastail

Premium Subscriber
Can I listen to Bus Transit radio - for example, Maryland Transit Administration or Niagara Frontier Transit Authority Transit Police, Bus Operators, Supervisors, or Dispatch - using only my computer? Or must I purchase a radio scanner? Thanks.

air-scan

Can I listen to Bus Transit radio - for example, Maryland Transit Administration or Niagara Frontier Transit Authority Transit Police, Bus Operators, Supervisors, or Dispatch - using only my computer? Or must I purchase a radio scanner? Thanks.
IF you can't find it on Broadcastify I suppose you will need the proper scanner or wait till some pop online in which that is a unknown.

Reconrider

Broadcastify only has streams of what people have uploading. They spend money on a dedicated scanner and it only listens to the stuff programmed for the feed.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The other option that hasn't been mentioned is listening on the computer using a SDR dongle and DSD+, under $25 for the dongle and DSD+ is $15 a year or $25 for a lifetime subscription. Lots of threads on here about setup.

bb911

Are you sure that they are using their radios a lot? Local transport/buses in my area rarely use their 453MHz radios. Maybe transit PD in your area are active. I ride buses in a very high crime/murder rate area and it's so quiet that I removed the freqs from my scanner. I've seen drivers use cell phones to contact base and supervisors when needed. The main transfer center has contracted security and they are on an old analog 800 MHz PD system, and there's not much to listen to either. Maybe of interest: In my area the main center tracks buses via GPS and anyone can watch buses move on Google maps (no app necessary). I'm curious about your area so I will try Google Maps, just for fun.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
A lot of times transit communications doesn't use repeated audio from the drivers so you might only hear 1/2 of the conversation.
If you have any scanner pages or groups in your area they might be able to give you local information before you spend money if this is your only monitoring interest or ask in the state specific group where you are.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Here in Baltimore, Maryland area the Transit Police are on the state's FIRST Radio system and they are have a lot of radio traffic. Switched from the MTA"s UHF-T Band TRS radio system a few years ago.

The buses, paratransit, and other maintenance functions still on UHF system. Paratransit is very active. The main buses don't use the radios too much and they use the Motorola phone style handsets onboard the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.