Buying a DMR radio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

I would like to purchase one of the many DMR radios offered. My question is whether or not I can get one that works in the 440 Ham band but could also monitor frequencies above 470 Mhz. I'm looking at radios by Connect Systems, Hytera and Vertex (not ruling out Motorola either). Can any of the models do this? I know most commercial radios will have either a 380 to 450 or 450 to 520 split.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I just got a 7550. Its a solid radio but it is not cheap.

The 6XXXX series (1st gen) radios are really good as well. I have a 6350 and a 4550. You cant go wrong with them.

I have not heard anything bad about the Connect Systems radios. I would say they are hard to beat for the price.

KA2ZEY

Right but I'm just wondering if it's possible to take a 406 to 450 rAdio and modify it so I can still monitor my local PD in the 470 to 477 range.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Cool. And does this apply to all the various models (CS700, Hytera, Motorola, etc)?

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I can only speak to Motorola. There are a couple of ways to modify the CPS to allow out of band. With the 6X series and what you are wanting to do (monitor above 470) I would search for a 512mhz model and then with the CPS hack you can take the radio without any problems into the lower ham bands.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
CS700 does 400-470 out of the box. Nothing has been posted that I've seen on how but a number of people have said that it can be modded oob to work above 470.

It came up when Australian Hams asked about it in reference to their CB band which is in the 476-477 range.

They've done it and say it works great. They've also said it probably wouldn't work over 500mhz. So it sounds like at least to 480 if not a bit higher is doable.

N4KVE

My spare DMR radio is a XPR6300. No screen, or buttons. It's a 450-520 radio, but works perfectly in the 440 ham band. The 6550 will do the same thing. The read/write process is a little different, but it works great. Many people are using these 450-520 radios in the 440 band, but I don't know anybody who uses a 403-470 radio above 470mhz.

KA2ZEY

Ok and sorry I'm kind of a noob with professional radios. When you purchase something like a XPR6550 or 6530, does the software come with it to program? I seem to remember that Motorola is very strict about their CPS and who can use it.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Anyone can get a subscription for motorola. Just takes some $$$. Some of the others (I.e. Vertex) give theirs for free.

KA2ZEY

Seems like Connect Systems, Hytera or Vertex would be the way to go because you get the software with the radio. I just want to make sure that I can make them work above 470 or if I buy a 450 to 512 split that they can work down to the ham band. I don't want to buy something that I can use for I what I want.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I understand! With the kind of coming you spend for real radios you should buy what suits your needs lol

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I'd check out the Connect Systems Yahoo group which is "csidmr" where you can ask questions and hopefully get answers. Jerry the owner of the company is on that group and daily answers questions and talks with everyone. You can also go to his website connectsystems.com and call him directly at the phone number listed there. He often answers the phone himself. He really works with the Amateur community to meet our needs specifically.

The CS700 for 180.00 can't be beat. It works great (I have two) and is a better radio than Vertex and Hytera from what I've read. You can confirm the out of band operation on the group or with Jerry. As I said the Aussies have it done and use it regularly beyond 470.

Also customer service is out of this world fantastic. One of the best experiences I've had in years. Echoed by a lot of others too. That alone is a huge incentive to deal with them.

New firmware updates and new software are all free and included. Programming cable is only five bucks. He has a whole lot in store coming up for the radios including FPP, trunking, roaming, and a monitor all TG function.

Mobile is coming in October and VHF HT will be available in two days although he's taking orders for it and the mobile now. No charge to CC for reservation either.

If you pick it I think you'll find out what so many have already discovered and that is that its a great radio and at a fantastic price for what you get. Works great analog too.

Good luck

mancow

Database Admin
How do you order the CSI radios? I must have missed the link on their site. I would be interested in a pre-order for the Vhf.

WB4CS

Is there a price list anywhere? I looked over the website but didn't see prices, I'd like to get an idea what their products run.

Thanks for sharing info on the CSI radios!! I had never heard of them before. I've been wanting to pick up a pair of DMR radios for use on 70cm amateur to test and play around with on simplex but didn't want to spend a great deal of money. This looks like a promising way to get started.

KA2ZEY

Is there a price list anywhere? I looked over the website but didn't see prices, I'd like to get an idea what their products run.

Thanks for sharing info on the CSI radios!! I had never heard of them before. I've been wanting to pick up a pair of DMR radios for use on 70cm amateur to test and play around with on simplex but didn't want to spend a great deal of money. This looks like a promising way to get started.

Go get one and I'll hear ya on the DMR-MARC net!

Status
Not open for further replies.