Bye Bye OKC Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

fast2okc

Database Admin
The Oklahoma City Fire Department has confirmed that they have completed their switchover to digital and have shut off the analog UHF repeaters. For those of us without kilo-bucks, I guess will have to be content with listening to EMSA and the Animal Control Officers. :(

It was fun while it lasted.

--fast2okc

mam1081

Feed Provider
Man, that was fast. You would think they would keep the links there "just in case" for a little bit.

When the city of Austin converted UHF to P25, they kept links going for almost a year. San Antonio swapped overnight though ( I don't think there were links to the old system to the new though ).

And just so ya know, there have been a few "Option 29" Jaguars on ebay for sub-kilobuck prices lately. Don't forget to add cost of programming in your budget though!

oktex88

Does this mean OKC PD and other departments are switching to digital soon? Do I need to shell out a whole car payment for a digital? lol

mam1081

Feed Provider
You must drive a fancy car!

Please remember any regular digital scanner WILL NOT WORK to decode OCPD or OCFD's ProVoice traffic.

oktex88

It's a Nissan Titan POS. I am getting Nissan to buy it back as it is a lemon. Water leaks in when it rains and it is unfixable. Never buy a Nissan, the people where you get your car serviced at are crooks and won't fix anything unless you argue with them. At Honda and Toyota.. they will fix problems on your car with out any questions.

So is OCPD Digital? I would like to buy a Uniden BCD996T... is it digital and analog and will it pick up OCFD?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
oktex88: Please re-read the reply to your first post in this thread.

mam1081

Feed Provider
oktex: If you're in the OKC Metro area, I would be happy to show you that my 996 DOES NOT decode ProVoice. It will listen to the analog traffic that is on the system, but it totally ignores the digital.

This has been beat to death, but there are different formats of digital voice, just like digital files on your computer. Don't expect a mapping program to open an MP3 or something like that. The files are different formats, just like APCO-25 and ProVoice. The 996 decodes APCO-25 digital voice. There are no scanners to decode ProVoice currently (and none in the forsee-able future). Please read previous posts relating to OKC's EDACS system. Much can be learned in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.