C.G. Comms Question, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

Please bear with me a bit; that old age problem again.

Confused over Coast Guard and Maritime comms modes.

The big list of CG Channels: are these FM ?

CG Aero: are these HF ?

USB used anywhere in the Maritime world ?

Thanks, appreciate the help,
Bob

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
USB used anywhere in the Maritime world ?

Around the world...

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Also remember in the not so distant future, all Maritime VHF will be going NFM. Possibilities of digital are being discussed, but nothing is concrete on it yet. European folks are pushing for NXDN though. I have not hear much chatter from this side of the pond, or what the Asians are pushing for yet. (Though NXDN would be a good fit.)

hill

Premium Subscriber
The USCG has UHF LMR frequencies that are P25. They are listed in the database on this site. Their listed as CG 4xx ike CG 409. Our local Sector use UHF LMR to talk with the Helos.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Yes, they do use the UHF/VHF LMR for many comms with the helos, at least in close to shore. Further out, they use the military UHF as well. Also when interacting with civilian aircraft, and other Federal Law Enforcement aircraft. If they are going to do an interdiction, they go P25 E direct for talking from Cutters/Intercept boats and helos/planes. They use the UHF military for air to air with USN aircraft on joint ops, and training ops. I wish I was still around Charleston, SC, or New Orleans, LA to do some studying of how they do things now when working with USN and USMC teams. I miss listening to Joint Ops, especially as it is a big part of things nowadays. I am of a mind that when they do intercepts with CBP and DEA its probably full time on E nets.

TDR-94

Typically, it's one or more radios mounted in the cockpit. There are are multiple types of tactical satellite networks. SATCOM is just one.

I don't think a portable satellite phone device, using only it's own antenna alone, will work well inside of the aircraft.

fasteddy64

Here in Gulfport Mississippi we use a mix.

CG-111, 162.3255 P25
CG-112 163.05 P25
CG-409 412.975 P25
CG-411 413.025 P25

Regular VHF Marine FM channels are used a lot also. Channels 15, 22A and 83A

Air Ops Freq of 345.0 AM sees a lot of use also.

N7DKL

Premium Subscriber
User MILF is correct about the general marine bands going to narrow band, but I doubt it will be soon. The issue with the marine VHF is that it has to work worldwide due to global shipping. Trying to get every commercial, military, government, fishing, and recreational boat to purchase and install new radios is going to take decades. As the steps begin to move towards this change the naming of the frequencies has changed. Here is a link to the "new" USA channels (U.S. VHF Channel Information | Navigation Center). Note that nothing changed except the names. Any channel that used to end with "alpha" now starts with 10 (22A is now 1022). Those "A" channels are what we use in the USA and they are one half of international duplex channels. The counties that use the other side of the duplex as a simplex channel named those as "20" instead of "10" (if that makes sense). This link (International VHF Marine Radio Channels and Frequencies | Navigation Center) shows the international frequencies.

Most VHF marine radios have a selector where you can select the channel grouping you need (international, USA, Canada). At some point soon I expect to see new marine radios displaying the new channel naming, but I have yet to see that. I have seen the international marine VHF narrowband plan but again, it will take decades to move to that and I expect most radios will have to be backwards compatible to be useful.

Keep in mind that marine VHF radios are there for safety of life at sea and navigation collision avoidance. Other uses are secondary.

mrosen922

Note that nothing changed except the names. Any channel that used to end with "alpha" now starts with 10 (22A is now 1022). Those "A" channels are what we use in the USA and they are one half of international duplex channels. The counties that use the other side of the duplex as a simplex channel named those as "20" instead of "10" (if that makes sense). At some point soon I expect to see new marine radios displaying the new channel naming, but I have yet to see that. .

Keep in mind that marine VHF radios are there for safety of life at sea and navigation collision avoidance. Other uses are secondary.

I am honestly waiting to see what they are going to be doing to channel 16. As we know 911 today as the lifeline phone number for emergencies to boaters when you say channel 16 they know that as the 911 life line/emergency line of the sea and so how do you change something like that. So it's going to be interesting to see the change.
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.