Calgary police frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

dainom89

Okay so i got everything set up, BUT my EMS frequencies i cant hear anything but like a digital noise.. why is it doing this i cant hear anything at all on those frequencies?

Also on the fire frequencies i set it up so i have all the dispatch frequencies in one talk group but im not getting very good reception is this the antenna or what? even the C14 ones aren't very clear

on my old scanner i had the station alerts on it so i could hear the call before the trucks arrived on scene, how do i get this again because the dispatch frequencies are just giving me transmissions when the trucks on calls need to speak with dispatch?

if anyone can sort out these problems it would be much appreciated!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm not sure I understand how you have the systems set up. It might be an issue of terminology, but the frequencies are all for the entire system - there aren't frequencies for C14 and some for EMS and so on.

Are you saying that when your scanner stops on, for example, EMS talkgroup 16400 (A1) or 16496 (A2), you hear digital noise instead of analog audio?

Would you be willing/able to send me your system files so I can peek at them?

The station alerts in Calgary are not part of the trunk system, so they have to be added in another (conventional) system separately. Those frequencies are 418.4875 and 413.4875 - one may be clearer to hear than the other depending where you are in the city, but they're both the same.

dainom89

Jay said:
I'm not sure I understand how you have the systems set up. It might be an issue of terminology, but the frequencies are all for the entire system - there aren't frequencies for C14 and some for EMS and so on.

Are you saying that when your scanner stops on, for example, EMS talkgroup 16400 (A1) or 16496 (A2), you hear digital noise instead of analog audio?

Would you be willing/able to send me your system files so I can peek at them?

The station alerts in Calgary are not part of the trunk system, so they have to be added in another (conventional) system separately. Those frequencies are 418.4875 and 413.4875 - one may be clearer to hear than the other depending where you are in the city, but they're both the same.

Yeah i can send you both my EMS and my fire.. thanks for clearing up the station alerts i forgot that they were conventional and was wondering what was going on!

and yes thats whats happening when i have it on ANY of the EMS frequencies ALL i hear in the digital noise there is no talking what so ever! i dont know why that is?

im not sure why but it's not letting me upload my files to here, when your writing your reply you do it under the "attach files" right? i might be doing it wrong

dainom89

There we go got it working, here is my CFD and EMS i might have done something wrong, who knows?

Attachments

• Calgary Fire Department.zip
    803 bytes · Views: 82
  • Calgary EMS.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 78

dainom89

Sounds great jay, thanks again
ill check back around that time to see how bad i screwed it up haha! j/k

Jay911

Feed Provider
I don't see anything wrong with the data files. I think what might be happening is you're latching on to a tower that's just close enough for the scanner to see the trunk signal, but too far away to receive the proper voice signal. This might happen if you're a fair distance away from one of the towers "first" in your frequency list - most likely Banker's.

What I would recommend is locking out the frequencies for all towers except the one nearest to you, and trying to scan again. To do that, you need to put the scanner in HOLD mode, turn the knob until you get to the frequencies, and hit L/O, then turn the knob to the next freq, and hit L/O again, etc.

Because I don't know where you are in the city, I'll give you the locations of the towers and you can choose what to run with.

1 (Banker's) - Downtown, 855 2 St SW
2 (TransAlta) - Coach Hill, 7700 blk Old Banff Coach Rd SW
3 (Spy Hill) - Far NW, 11200 blk 69 St NW
4 (Fish Creek) - Far SW, 16200 blk 37 St SW
5 (Forest Lawn) - East, Memorial x 28 St E

I would not recommend using the Airport tower as your primary one, because it is very low power and won't reach too far beyond the airport property. For completeness' sake, though, the tower is on top of the terminal building at the airport.

Last edited:

dainom89

Im in the southeast about 2 blocks away from 26 station.

okay ill try that and see if it makes a difference..

any suggestions on the EMS frequencies and why they are giving me nothing?

OH and what are the RCMP frequencies for around this area.. i dont really know?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Defintely lock out everything but Fish Creek. I used to work in Midnapore and I could catch Banker's from time to time, but the radio would sound like garbage.

I think the reason you're getting bad sounds from EMS is because you're not on the closest tower. A3 thru A5 and B1 will be very quiet most of the time, with only a few transmissions every hour or two. A1 and A2 will be super busy, A2 moreso than A1 these days.

The closest RCMP is the "A2" channel (not anything close to A2 on the trunk either for EMS or city police") - this is a conventional analog channel (clear voice). You will hear them on 155.82 with a tone (CTCSS/PL) of 123.0. You'll likely also hear the A4 channel which covers units hanging around the Calgary area, the Tsuu T'ina Nation, and the east side of Strathmore's district, at 155.79 tone 123.0.

dainom89

Okay i got the EMS figured out!
everything else is working okay now, even the FD for now and i havnt locked anything out yet.

When i entered the RCMP channels into ARC i put the 155.82 into the freq spot.. and then do i put the tone or whatever under the CTCSS/DCS and keep the tone L/out on or off to hear these freq?

and one more question.. im sure you saw that i have one talk group for each tac channel, how come when i hear what tac channel a certain event is on, i never hear any talking between the guys?

mully

Renewed to scanning...

Scanning is much different than it was back when I searched regularly! Calgary police were 462.****, ambulances patches to the hospital were easily heard, and cell phone calls were part of the scan... if only by image.

But I'm back to the hobby and I see that much has changed.

To get back in, I chose the Icom R5 for its unblocked coverage (Canadian) and the Uniden 246t for it's analog trunk capability and "Close Call" technology. I've had the R5 for a few months and love it. I'll receive the 246t next week. These radios review very well for the price. Back in the day, I routinely spent $300 to $500CAN for the latest scanner from Radio Shack -- now I get 2 for the same price. Great hobby.

That said, I'm in Calgary and could use a little advice to get up to speed.

Cheers!
Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.