Call Sign Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

YaesuFan2012

I just got my tech callsign today (YAY!!!) but why oh why did the last 3 letters have to be an ex-boyfriends initials?

How soon before I can apply for a vanity callsign with a 1x3 format or do I have to stay with the 2x3 format***

Thanks for a quick reply! Need to get rid of this tainted callsign ASAP LOL

73 & 88's

***-edited to say: n6xxx or w6xxx or k6xxx where xxx = the letters of my choice

Last edited:

CommJunkie

Just out of curiosity, what's your call sign?

And if you are listed in the ULS on the FCC website you can create an FRN account and request a vanity call right away. You can get a 1x3 call as long as one is available. 1x3 and 2x3 calls are both Class C, which is what you need to stay in unless/until you upgrade.

YaesuFan2012

I'd rather not say what my callsign is, until I get a PO Box listed on the FCC ULS system, instead of my home address.

I do have a FRN number!

Thank you for the quick reply! I am going to put in for a change right now LOL

73's

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Congratulations on getting your ticket. It is $40 if you use W5YI, but the site below is free to use. Just pay the FCC.

N4MC's Vanity HQ

Also I am not 100 percent sure, but I think the FCC requires an actual address and will not accept a post office box.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The FCC will accept a Post Office Box as the mailing address on an amateur radio license application.

And there's no point paying anyone an extra fee to apply for a license renewal or to apply for a vanity callsign. The people who are providing that "service" are, in my opinion, taking advantage of hams who are either gullible or lazy. When it comes to vanity callsigns, read the FAQ at N4MC's Vanity HQ, then go to the FCC web site and follow the instructions. It's not difficult.

CommJunkie

I guess you got that question wrong on the test? Although they did change to question pool since I took my Technician exam.

The FCC only requires a valid mailing address on file in case they need to contact you, not your permanent or transmitting address.

Look up my call. I have a PO Box listed, and I've moved since I got it. Haven't told the FCC a thing.

An Amateur radio operator must have their correct name and mailing address on file with the FCC to receive mail delivery from the FCC by the United States Postal Service. IF mail is returned to the FCC as undeliverable, the FCC may revoke or suspend a license if the mailing address of the holder is not current with the FCC. The FCC requires that the mailing address of the station licensee be kept up to date on the Universal Licensing System database.

From
Code:
http://www.aa5ro.org/Learning%20Ctr/Tech-Class/T1D.htm

K9WG

Dang, $14.20 vs $40.00, I am starting a new business. Anyone want a vanity call sign for $30.00?

(disclaimer - I am not selling call signs, just being sarcastic)

YaesuFan2012

Dang, $14.20 vs $40.00, I am starting a new business. Anyone want a vanity call sign for $30.00?

(disclaimer - I am not selling call signs, just being sarcastic)

I'm going to buy a $30.00 pack of matches so I can burn that license as soon as it arrives! LOL

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I just got my tech callsign today (YAY!!!) but why oh why did the last 3 letters have to be an ex-boyfriends initials?

Wow, what are the chances? As soon as you burn the old license, go out and buy a lottery ticket. Maybe you can beat the odds twice.

And congrats on the new ticket.

LtDoc

Or, think of it in another way.
There are huge possibilities for 'custom' phonetics for any call sign. It's sort of one way to 'get back' at that 'ex', you know? Or, if anyone should ever mention that 'ex's initials and your call sign, tell'em it's a reminder so that you never make the same mistake again. All kinds of ways to 'turn it around'... ;)
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Vanity, thy name is Woman. Consider this, is your callsign easy to send in CW as compared to what? To me at least one that slides easily off the fist is a better reason than the initials of some old girlfriend from Hell whose name is long forgotten I kicked out of the car in the middle of nowhere.

Ah, but I'm a man so what do I know?

reedeb

I guess I was lucky, My call rolls off my tongue.
t2709.gif

N0YFE

FCC License Informatino

I'd rather not say what my callsign is, until I get a PO Box listed on the FCC ULS system, instead of my home address.

I do have a FRN number!

Thank you for the quick reply! I am going to put in for a change right now LOL

73's

Just as an FYI any changes or modifications to your license are visible on the FCC website. The good news is in most search sites your PO Box would show up, but if someone did a search in the FCC by your license number, they would be able to see all modifictions and changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.