Callsign "Pass Code" - Westjet Encore use

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE6RSU2

Hello air fans!

I've been logging WestJet Encore aircraft using the call sign "Pass Code" or "Passcode" along with their flight number for a while now. I'm located in Calgary Alberta Canada - WestJet's headquarters city (YYC). ICAO document 8585 lists out what is approved for use and I see that WestJet Encore aircraft are to use "Encore" - which I have also logged.

What gives? Why the use of 2 callsigns? Any ideas? Have any other listeners logged "Passcode"?

Thanks for your help...

Mike

VE6RSU

ATCTech

Is this on ATC or company frequencies? I'm near Toronto and worked in the centre here and I've never heard anything but Encore spoken. Any recording you can share?

VE6RSU2

I've logged "Passcode" callsigns both on ATC Frequencies and 131.650 Company frequency (WestJet). Last night I logged Passcode 3000 working company dispatch on 131.650 with flight details - It's a Calgary to Lethbridge flight so pretty close. I thought that I heard them using Encore with the tower, but I was half asleep and not paying too much attention.

I Originally logged a "Passcode 9999" on the ground frequency (121.9) about a month ago and noted it - sounded strange - strange call and strange flight number. I checked that flight number (9999) but did not find a correlation. I was originally thinking this might be a callsign for an empty aircraft (no passengers - a transfer flight)? I will keep listening and see what I get. And I will try and get a recording.

spanky15805

VE6RSU... Kinduva' off the beaten path, since you mentioned YYC, I started looking for PASCO and ran across ST40, ST42 and ST44. It took the 2 brain cells a couple of seconds to fire off. Listen to those units at all?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If you're looking at FR24 or other similar sites to see the ST## units, I would bet they are on the airport's TETRA/Hytera system and thus unmonitorable.

VE6RSU2

Thanks for the info ATCTech! Mystery solved! (y)

I logged Pasco 3014, 3047 and 3000 (again) on ATC frequencies last night at my listening time.

Spanky15805 - As for the ST units - are they "Sweeper Trucks?" If so, yes I have logged them asking for permission to work runways and taxi ways from ground control. I will check FR24 when I'm listening tonight. Lots of neat ground equipment on the ground control frequencies "Air Canada Tow", "Airport 1", "Airport 2", "WestJet Tow 506".

Jay - I'm trying to get TETRA working though my DSD+ - I'm wondering if Airport Authority have switched to another system as I'm no longer hearing TETRA data on 856.2125/864.2125 like I used to. I will post this info to Prairies/Pacific Coast.

Thanks for the help everyone!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.