Can a radio like the JRC NRD545 now be considered "vintage"?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Since this radio has been discontinued by the manufacturer, is no longer supported and replacement parts are no longer available, and that it does not have a computer screen and every knob and button appears to have a single function... can this radio now be classified as "vintage"?

S4j3rgw.png

Token

Just my opinion, for what that is worth, yes, the NRD-545 can be considered vintage. It is no longer made and it was introduced in 1997, 27 years ago, and the last one made was in 2008, 16 years ago. When I think "vintage" I typically think a bit older than this, until I really start adding up the years. For example, the last Hammarlund HQ-180A was made in 1972, 16 years later, in the late 1980's, it was definitely "vintage".

T!

bill4long

"Vintage" literally means "of age", that is, "old." Antique dealers generally consider "vintage" to apply to items 40+ years old. For ham radio, there is no apparent consensus. For me, it applies to tube type radios made in the 1970s or earlier, such as Johnson Vikings, Drakes, Collins, Heathkit, etc.

Token

Antique dealers generally consider "vintage" to apply to items 40+ years old. For ham radio, there is no apparent consensus. For me, it applies to tube type radios made in the 1970s or earlier, such as Johnson Vikings, Drakes, Collins, Heathkit, etc.

Not really up on things like this (outside radio) but I thought for antique dealers "vintage" was older than 20 (or 25?) years, but less than 100 years, while "antique" was 100 years or older? I know that in some portions of the automotive world 25 years and older is vintage, and pre-WW II is antique.

T!

Boombox

It's all subjective, really. My DX-394 is 'vintage' to me -- produced from 1995-1998, no DSP, etc.

Beautiful radio, that NRD is. I wonder what it's like to take a spin across the bands using one of those.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
In some ways, it's an awesome receiver, but it came along a little too early in the DSP era, and has some really annoying problems. My picks of the NRD's were the 515 and 525. Both of mine were modded. My 515 had the Gilfer Edition mods, along with an FET and diode change that quieted it down a lot from a stock one, and made it crazy sensitive. I still miss it. I still have my 525, it has the Kiwa Ultimate Rejection mod. I nearly bought a 535, but the display noise annoyed me. I hope one of these days someone comes up with an RFI reduction device that can make listening in my apartment worth doing.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
In some ways, it's an awesome receiver, but it came along a little too early in the DSP era, and has some really annoying problems. My picks of the NRD's were the 515 and 525. Both of mine were modded. My 515 had the Gilfer Edition mods, along with an FET and diode change that quieted it down a lot from a stock one, and made it crazy sensitive. I still miss it. I still have my 525, it has the Kiwa Ultimate Rejection mod. I nearly bought a 535, but the display noise annoyed me. I hope one of these days someone comes up with an RFI reduction device that can make listening in my apartment worth doing.

The 525 was a beautiful rig, it's starting to look a bit dated, but who cares I hear it's a great receiver too.

1nzEjUz.png

majoco

Stirrer
Oh dear, that makes my 515 look positively ancient! Still goes very well though, along with my other "vintage" radios, Kenwood R2000, Icom R7000, Yaesu FRG7, Skanti 5000, all going well from a 35metre loop and an ex-govt multicoupler.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Oh dear, that makes my 515 look positively ancient! Still goes very well though, along with my other "vintage" radios, Kenwood R2000, Icom R7000, Yaesu FRG7, Skanti 5000, all going well from a 35metre loop and an ex-govt multicoupler.

You know the 515 doesn't really look "ancient", just slightly dated, still I bet it receives better than my little Eton SW.
N8UNGIw.png

greghatha

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of a JRC 545, I have a 545 and carefully removed the boards to get the dust off of them. I reseated the boards but now the receiver doesn’t receive anything. I’ve tried reseating the boards over and over with no luck.i noticed the red light is on the cga 184 loop1 board. Is that a good or bad sign? Any tips on how to get the receiver working again?

Thanks!
Greg
KC8VDQ