Can any scanner monitor ENCRYPTED IWIN P25 systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john98225

Sorry, but I'm still confused after some back & forth with folks on a number of forums. I live in Bellingham, Washinton and have been told CBP is "100% on iwin p25 digital trunk system now. 99.9999% of comms are encrypted... some mobile units still operate in the clear."

"Encrypted" ... are there ANY scanners sold today that are capable of de-crypting these transmissions and allowing the listener to monitor all of the traffic?

I was thinking about acquiring a BCD996XT, but if it can't let me listen to CBP in my area, it's not worth it.

Any advice or help would be appreciated!

KB1JHU

You would be able to track the system and listen to anything that isn't encrypted. If people are reporting that CBP is almost totally encrypted, then you're out of luck for listening to them.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Sorry, but I'm still confused after some back & forth with folks on a number of forums. I live in Bellingham, Washinton and have been told CBP is "100% on iwin p25 digital trunk system now. 99.9999% of comms are encrypted... some mobile units still operate in the clear."

"Encrypted" ... are there ANY scanners sold today that are capable of de-crypting these transmissions and allowing the listener to monitor all of the traffic?

I was thinking about acquiring a BCD996XT, but if it can't let me listen to CBP in my area, it's not worth it.

Any advice or help would be appreciated!

The short and to the point answer is: No. Period.end

There reason that the CBP uses encryption, is so people can not listen. If a scanner can intercept and recover the audio of an encrypted transmission then what is the point of spending the money to encrypt it?

There are zero scanners that can decrypt encrypted comms.

If there are some mobile radios that are not encrypted then you will need a P25 capable scanner to hear them.

xjf79

well I guess you've been told :(

unencrypted p25 iwin digital.. yes you can listen to it.
encrypted p25 iwin digital..no way .
sorry man

Status
Not open for further replies.