Can anyone help determine this p25 frequency?

saioke

I'm currently in Ohio, and I came across this control channel while searching on the scanner that I can't figure out what it is. I use a Yagi so it's possible I could be picking up another county entirely but, at the signal strength that I'm getting, I'm thinking it has to be local. Viewing my county Vinton, as well as the closest neighboring county Jackson here on RR, I can't find this frequency listed at all. Oddly enough, I've also done a search on the FCC website and it came up empty, even if I search through ALL states. Surely this frequency should be listed on the FCC website at least, right? The frequency is - 771.58375 and I have included screenshots of my display.

Normally I would say it's a bug, but I have been picking up local talkgroups by programming this into its own TSYS. So, it has to be a real CC.

But I don' t know, I've also discovered 854.2875 which, from my searching, I've discovered it's a CC for my local electrical company AEP but, I don't know how that works because afaik it's on Phase 2, and my scanner only supports phase 1. That has to be a bug, right?

Attachments

• 440766696_348789014976353_5120087996145577682_n.jpg
    440766696_348789014976353_5120087996145577682_n.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 441472203_1111523670104480_1274859941185126576_n.jpg
    441472203_1111523670104480_1274859941185126576_n.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 32

saioke

From System ID of 348 shown on your scanner must be a site of MARCS.

With all your data on scanner screen it's easy to look up the information in the database on this site.

Yeah it's MARCS, but I'm trying to determine where exactly it's located, because I can't seem to find the frequency listed anywhere on the MARCs page here, and not even on the FCC site. I've viewed some of the surrounding county's in my area, and wasn't able to find it through manual searching either. Unfortunately, also searching per frequency on this site is locked behind the paywall and I don't want to subscribe to something I'd personally never really benefit from in terms of value/time.

How could it be that it's not on the FCC website? Every other tower in my area involving MARCs seems to be.

The site listed seems to show 079, NAC 34E which is the site for Indian Camp, a site location in Vinton. However, the frequency isn't listed as a site on the RR MARCs database either. I've sent a submission but it still seems unusual that the frequency isn't on the fcc site.

Edit: Submission of this frequency has been added to RR now. I'd just like to know why no information is on the fcc website.

Last edited:

ecps92

I'm currently in Ohio, and I came across this control channel while searching on the scanner that I can't figure out what it is. I use a Yagi so it's possible I could be picking up another county entirely but, at the signal strength that I'm getting, I'm thinking it has to be local. Viewing my county Vinton, as well as the closest neighboring county Jackson here on RR, I can't find this frequency listed at all. Oddly enough, I've also done a search on the FCC website and it came up empty, even if I search through ALL states. Surely this frequency should be listed on the FCC website at least, right? The frequency is - 771.58375 and I have included screenshots of my display.

Normally I would say it's a bug, but I have been picking up local talkgroups by programming this into its own TSYS. So, it has to be a real CC.

But I don' t know, I've also discovered 854.2875 which, from my searching, I've discovered it's a CC for my local electrical company AEP but, I don't know how that works because afaik it's on Phase 2, and my scanner only supports phase 1. That has to be a bug, right?
R-003 S-079
Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications Site: Indian Camp (Wellston) Seems the RRDB needs your submission for the additional frequency

saioke

I found it thru a RRDB search and it shows Ashland County - Loudonville, Clark County - Northridge and Vinton County - Indian Camp have that frequency.

Strange, I submitted it for Indian Camp but it hasn't shown up for me yet. Also can't see it by looking through Ashland or Clark county. Just 771.58125c which is similar.

Nevertheless, happy memorial day to you all!

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
It's probably a part of the blanket license. There's a blanket license that covered 700 MHz from years ago. Anything on that license didn't make it into the RRDB and when identified needs submitted.

ecps92

It's probably a part of the blanket license. There's a blanket license that covered 700 MHz from years ago. Anything on that license didn't make it into the RRDB and when identified needs submitted.
Many times for those "STATE" licenses, there have been attachments that were submitted as part of the application
many of those attachments contain a host/wealth of info to determine site/names and what CC

Anyone have the 700 blanket callsign ?

saioke

Well I submitted the frequency days ago and got a response saying that only a single control channel is active at a time, but oddly enough the frequency I discovered (771.58375) and one listed on RR already (771.58125) are both active at the same time.

Considering the above, and the fact that I also ran into another frequency (771.584375) and was told 771.584375 is not a valid freq for MARCS. 771.584375 would likely be your scanner stopping just shy of 771.58375. So perhaps, maybe 771.58375 is also an anomaly in my scanner that's somehow detecting 771.58375 as 771.58125.

Either way, I'm giving up on continuing the submission because I think it's just something weird on my end and the guy accepting submissions seems to think it's nothing.

ecps92

Well I submitted the frequency days ago and got a response saying that only a single control channel is active at a time, but oddly enough the frequency I discovered (771.58375) and one listed on RR already (771.58125) are both active at the same time.

Considering the above, and the fact that I also ran into another frequency (771.584375) and was told 771.584375 is not a valid freq for MARCS. 771.584375 would likely be your scanner stopping just shy of 771.58375. So perhaps, maybe 771.58375 is also an anomaly in my scanner that's somehow detecting 771.58375 as 771.58125.

Either way, I'm giving up on continuing the submission because I think it's just something weird on my end and the guy accepting submissions seems to think it's nothing.
You may want to review the FCC 700 Band Allocations

771.584375 is not a valid FCC allocated channel, but 771.58375 is, Both close enough to bleed over

saioke

You may want to review the FCC 700 Band Allocations
You're right. I wasn't aware of bleed-over until late last night when I've decided to tune to the known trunk site tower and proceed to tune up in increments, and I've detected the signal on quite a bit of nearby frequencies up to 771.58400 or so. So, it's definitely a mistake on my end. Apologies, I can be a moron sometimes lol.

ecps92

You're right. I wasn't aware of bleed-over until late last night when I've decided to tune to the known trunk site tower and proceed to tune up in increments, and I've detected the signal on quite a bit of nearby frequencies up to 771.58400 or so. So, it's definitely a mistake on my end. Apologies, I can be a moron sometimes lol.
No need for apologies, it's a Hobby and we learn, some of us have learned this one long ago, but still need a reminder from time-time, just like images could be an issue, worked on id'n a user on Low Band, for months, turns out it was my local DPW from 460 band, also being heard in 37 mhz on one scanner, but not others

sometimes knowing the band plans helps out

chris451rr

The fcc allows some states to use any channel in the 700 band 769-775 so they do their own coordination. Point radius search returns nothing. Or fcc might have the data but it has to be looked up another way. Some p25 have a call sign on the control channel. I can pick up with unitrunker and LOOK up the entity maybe get the locations from the fcc record. Iowa for example has block allocation we have to find the freq then decode parameters to id the owner and users this is a government only allocation. I tried hard to decode the Ohio marcs a few years ago, or was it macom open sky, incompatable with p25. Some of the talk channels I found werent decoding.
look up the state by name and see if its a block allocation.